• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Sir Shockwave

Sir Shockwave
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  • Projects:RA2 Subfactions Mod - Hopefully

Posted 21 August 2011 - 05:23 PM

The RA2 Subfactions Mod is something I've been attempting to work on for years. However, my years of working in TibEd have taken their toll a little (I only started coding RA2 by hand last year, but have caught up a little on it). So anyways, the Mod replaces the Country Specials system with a Subfaction System similar to Zero Hour/Kane's Wrath. Each subfaction has unique strengths and weaknesses, and play in similair style to their original faction.

FAQ

What will this Mod be for?

This is intended as a Red Alert 2 Yuri's Revenge mod.

Will this Mod use Ares?

We've already started taking advantage of the things offered by Ares. It is very likely this mod would not be possible without Ares as it is.

What is the current progress (at time of writing)?

I'll try updating this as often as I can, but for now know I have five of the six (three Allied, three Soviet) outlined. They are as follows:

Allies

Special Operations Command
The Allied SOC units specialize in disrupting and raiding - striking at critical points and effectively shutting down the map, before using Stolen weapons against their opponents to deliver the deathblow. They make up for their lack of a Vehicle Pool with a decent helping of Elite Infantry. Recommended for Players who value Skill, Guile and Cunning.

Airborne Battalion
These Battalions specialize in versatility and precision strikes. They have access to Paratroopers and a number of flavors of Death from Above, but have a weaker Ground game than most other factions. Recommended for Players who like Aircraft (duh), as well as those who enjoy outmaneuvering and outflanking the enemy.

FutureTech Battalion
Allied FutureTech battalions employ experimental weapons in their fight against the Soviets - from Battlesuits to Chrono Weapons, Prism tech and Ion Cannons. While they have the most firepower, the majority of their units are very Glass Cannon, and are prone to being destroyed easily if caught by the enemy. Recommended for players who like devastating, long range firepower and an unpredictable Arsenal.

Soviets

Black Guard
The Black Guard are the Elite of Mother Russia. They have heavily armored and high firepower units, who's only shortcomings are slow speed and short range. Recommended for Players who enjoy Quality over Quantity, and Steamrolling opponents with legions of Apocalypse Tanks and Kirov Airships.

Penal Legionnaires
Soviet Penal Legions are made up of Deserters, Scum and Losers. They are sent into battle with equipment that makes Conscripts look Elite by comparison. They empthesise a Horde playstyle - using overwhelming numbers of cheap, disposable infantry to grind down their opponents. Recommended for Players who enjoy Rush and Horde related tactics.

Sovet·skoe gosudarstvo Ministerstva nauki (Soviet State Science Ministry, working name)
The counterpart to the Allied FutureTech Battalions, the Soviet Science Ministry keeps it's own prototypical army on standby, full of bizarre and dark experiments. Stay tuned for further developments relating to this faction.

Are you hiring/seeking Help?

Due to my own limited abilities (I'm a coder - I can rig in your Maps, rebalance the game and port in your new Art, but that's about it), I am indeed hiring. Positions available are below, listed by Primary (immediate) and Secondary (nice to have, but not needed right now at this stage).

Primary

AI Programmer - I'm going to need someone who can program the AI, who has an understanding of it and (more importantly) can actually understand those fancy numbers it's using instead of laying things out like the Rules, Art and other INI files.

Voxol and SHP Artists - I don't want to depend upon Public Assets forever.

Secondary

Secondary Coders - See later in the FAQ for why.

Testers - Because having people who make sure it's balanced asides me would be nice.

Soundtrack Artists - Nice if you can do it, but not that necessary unless I decide to replace the original RA2 soundtrack.

SFX Artists - Because new weapons mean new sounds to fire with them.

Voice Actors - Because using recycled voice clips from other units is lazy. Would prefer people who can accent and add some personality to the units.

Map Makers - I haven't officially decided on any new maps to be added at this point (the big focus right now is on writing the Soviet and Allied Subfactions), but it is a welcome skill.

Image Editors - This means people who can use Photoshop, Paint.NET or some other Image editing program. You will be making new Flag Icons, Loading Screens etc.

If you wish to apply, PM me here. A Portfolio of some previous experience is not required, but will vastly increase your chances of getting in...assuming you are interested and this picks up. If you are hired, I will send you further details for you to contact me with.

What version are you using?
For the time being, I am using my copy of First Decade, patched with the unofficial 1.03 Patch (Link to patch here). I am also using Launch Base to compile and run the Mod.

I have a question, but it's not on the FAQ!
Relax and chill out! Post it in this thread, and I'll try and answer the question as best I can. The FAQ will also be updated as the Mod progresses.

Why are there Public Assests in your screenshots?
For the time being, I am borrowing Public Assets as a temporary solution to representing some newer units. Though it goes without saying, I will credit the person who made the original Asset. If I have forgotten to add the person, or have made an inaccuracy in that regard, please point it out here in this thread, and I will correct my mistake.

You strike me as unskilled/lazy/made of Derp, what exactly will you be doing?
First off, I should mention I has Aspergers Syndrome, so yes, I am not exactly as smart as someone the same age who is also a NeuroTypical (or "Normal Person"). Secondly, I am going to try and shoulder the bulk of the coding. However, as is owing to my lack of perception resulting from my condition, don't find yourself estranged if I ask a question, or require help Coding. I know my drawbacks, and I'm trying my best to work to the best of my ability, and not allow my own condition to hinder me.

Also, if you work for me, I am your boss. Cringe and fear.

Where is Yuri?
Because I think this one needs to be addressed, there are no plans to utilise Yuri in this mod. This is for two reasons:

1) Adding and removing new Countries is proving to be impossible (even with Ares), which would be required to make Yuri fit (this is not helped by a severe lack of working tutorials).

2) Speaking of Yuri, Mental Omega already covered all the branches Yuri could possibly fill. Making Subfactions for Yuri here would require "ripping off" Mental Omega, and of course you should never really copy of others.

For now, Yuri is on the backburner, though it is possible he may be implemented at a later date.

Shrine of Progress
Coding [----------]
Balancing [----------]
Testing [----------]
New Unit Implementation [----------]
Sound Recording [----------]
Dr Pepper gallons drunk during Mod Progress: 0 litres.

Each block represents 10% of progress done. When the bar is fully colored, a piece of the mod will be completed. Provided of course this actually takes off.

Edited by Sir Shockwave, 24 August 2011 - 09:57 PM.

#2 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 21 August 2011 - 07:58 PM

Just so you know, there are two mods in production that accomplish the same task, although they're for Yuri's Revenge. Coming from one who is making a mod like this already, you'll want to skip RA2 since it's a bit too limited in what it can do. YR has modder patches like NPatch, and there's Ares. If you're dead set on continuing, consider moving engines so you have more freedom, more possibility and NPatch/Ares (I recommend Ares because it rocks).

And truly, the hardest part about an undertaking like this isn't the code or the engine. It's the graphics; there's quite a bit out there that's free source, but sometimes the freebies don't quite fit the ideas.

And I see you're hunting for staff. Good luck, but you won't get any. No offense, but you're not exactly someone people recognize, nor do you have any screenshots of progress. And there's just nobody available to do what you want; they're all busy with their own projects or they're already on a team. Since you've already admitted to just doing the code work, you're going to need those freebies.

It's going to take a serious amount of work to bring this up to task, but it can be done. I've done it once already and am doing it again so take your time and don't get discouraged or feel overwhelmed. This doesn't need to be done in a day or two. Lord knows I'm nowhere close and I've invested a full day's worth of time recoding a mod from scratch (and I'm still nowhere close to playable).

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

#3 Sir Shockwave

Sir Shockwave
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 08:35 PM

Just so you know, there are two mods in production that accomplish the same task, although they're for Yuri's Revenge.

Ah -_-

This I suppose is what happens you spend years of stop and start progress -_-

Coming from one who is making a mod like this already, you'll want to skip RA2 since it's a bit too limited in what it can do. YR has modder patches like NPatch, and there's Ares. If you're dead set on continuing, consider moving engines so you have more freedom, more possibility and NPatch/Ares (I recommend Ares because it rocks).

I have Ares. Sadly, I have yet to find good instructions on using it properly. Most of the tutorials I find (usually the ones on PPM) are broken, even when followed exactly.

And truly, the hardest part about an undertaking like this isn't the code or the engine. It's the graphics; there's quite a bit out there that's free source, but sometimes the freebies don't quite fit the ideas.

Note taken.

And I see you're hunting for staff. Good luck, but you won't get any. No offense, but you're not exactly someone people recognize, nor do you have any screenshots of progress.

As it stands, all that exists right now is a bunch of code. It's likely I may release some kind of Alpha in the near future, though this is a shaky idea as the INI isn't exactly edit locked.

And there's just nobody available to do what you want; they're all busy with their own projects or they're already on a team. Since you've already admitted to just doing the code work, you're going to need those freebies.

Also noted. However, I have noted there's a sect of Modders who frown upon the people who do use those "freebies".

It's going to take a serious amount of work to bring this up to task, but it can be done. I've done it once already and am doing it again so take your time and don't get discouraged or feel overwhelmed. This doesn't need to be done in a day or two. Lord knows I'm nowhere close and I've invested a full day's worth of time recoding a mod from scratch (and I'm still nowhere close to playable).

Given my lack of experience, yes this is going to take a while. As mentioned, it's kinda been stop-and-start, but I now want to get something seriously done, and publish at least something before stopping again.

However, just to confirm...shared base concept aside, I've not unconsciously copied any other concepts the other mods have?

#4 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 21 August 2011 - 10:34 PM

Ah -_-

This I suppose is what happens you spend years of stop and start progress -_-

Don't be discouraged. Genobreaker and I took a more Zero Hour approach; you seem to have a KW approach. The ideas will invariably be different. Approach is everything.

I have Ares. Sadly, I have yet to find good instructions on using it properly. Most of the tutorials I find (usually the ones on PPM) are broken, even when followed exactly.

Ares takes a little more than just double click an EXE like the RockPatch/NPatch did. LaunchBase helps too.

Also noted. However, I have noted there's a sect of Modders who frown upon the people who do use those "freebies".

It's all in the ideas. My ZH-themed mod (YR: TG Redux) is 95 percent free source graphics and I've been doing this for years. So long as you put those freebies to good use, you'll be fine.

However, just to confirm...shared base concept aside, I've not unconsciously copied any other concepts the other mods have?

Well, the entire concept is shared at least two C&C games so it's not a big deal. And even if you do share concepts, who gives a shit? I share quite a few with other mods and it doesn't bother me because the ideas are solid and make sense. It's all in your presentation and your overall set of ideas. Improving other minutiae like finetuning gameplay mechanics or including a neat feature works well too. However, don't try to be overly ambitious with your planned features because you'll overwhelm yourself and go nowhere. RA2 needs some fresh blood in the community anyway.

Hell, you can ignore me if you want to. Make the mod you want, but try to be realistic in the process.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Steam

#5 Sir Shockwave

Sir Shockwave
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 05:10 AM

Don't be discouraged. Genobreaker and I took a more Zero Hour approach; you seem to have a KW approach. The ideas will invariably be different. Approach is everything.

Indeed, especially as by this point, any kind of mod you can think of for RA2/YR has probably already been done.

Ares takes a little more than just double click an EXE like the RockPatch/NPatch did. LaunchBase helps too.

As mentioned, I have Launch Base, which I use to compile the Mod together into an installer. I did also install Ares in advance because I belive (especially from the MO Demo videos) that it has potential. It's just finding some good, reliable instructions on using it that's the issue.

It's all in the ideas. My ZH-themed mod (YR: TG Redux) is 95 percent free source graphics and I've been doing this for years. So long as you put those freebies to good use, you'll be fine.

Will do.

Well, the entire concept is shared at least two C&C games so it's not a big deal. And even if you do share concepts, who gives a shit? I share quite a few with other mods and it doesn't bother me because the ideas are solid and make sense. It's all in your presentation and your overall set of ideas. Improving other minutiae like finetuning gameplay mechanics or including a neat feature works well too. However, don't try to be overly ambitious with your planned features because you'll overwhelm yourself and go nowhere. RA2 needs some fresh blood in the community anyway.

Hell, you can ignore me if you want to. Make the mod you want, but try to be realistic in the process.

Indeed, as mentioned I'm trying not to over exert myself with this. I am for the moment working on organizing the Allied subfactions before the Soviets. I may end up disabling Yuri for the time being. It is also possible I may re-balance the game, but that's not the immediate focus right now.

I'm also going to see if it's possible to make each one have some differences, so it's not directly copying KW. I'm already considering a different Tech Tree for the FutureTech Battalion, but I don't think the solution is workable, likely even with Ares.

#6 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:01 AM

As mentioned, I have Launch Base, which I use to compile the Mod together into an installer. I did also install Ares in advance because I belive (especially from the MO Demo videos) that it has potential. It's just finding some good, reliable instructions on using it that's the issue.

All you need to run Ares is the DLL, the INJ file, ares.mix and a batch script. Run the script instead of the game EXE and it works.

I'm already considering a different Tech Tree for the FutureTech Battalion, but I don't think the solution is workable, likely even with Ares.

This is perfectly doable. It's possible without a patch. Just need a tech tree toggler.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Steam

#7 Sir Shockwave

Sir Shockwave
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 05:53 PM

All you need to run Ares is the DLL, the INJ file, ares.mix and a batch script. Run the script instead of the game EXE and it works.

I've gotten it to run...and I just found Ares comes with Tutorials for making things work. But that's going to have to be a tomorrow or Wednesday thing, when I get round to it.

This is perfectly doable. It's possible without a patch. Just need a tech tree toggler.

I'll keep an eye out for one as I work, thanks for the tip.

Incidentally, put a small blip on the progress bar. I'll start posting screenshots and stuff when I have something to actually show - for now, it's been a fun day of hunting assets and laying down the basics for the code.

#8 Sir Shockwave

Sir Shockwave
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 02:22 PM

My apologies for the Double Post buuuuuuuuut...

...UPDATE!

(Well, that and I didn't want anyone to think this was not happening. As Beowulf correctly pointed out, I has no evidence before now).

I've spent the best part of today searching around for public assets on the suggestion of the above, and have fully replaced the Voxols of 90% of the items I've wanted to replace. Up first are some of the new Soviet Vehicle Designs I've acquired -

Posted Image

These Voxols represent (respectively) the Apocalypse Tank, Tesla Tank, Flak Track and Rhino Tank, as well as one of Westwood's old Voxols, the Hind Transport (though this has had it's rotors fixed so it flies more naturally now). The original assets belong to -

- Azari Apoc (Apocalypse Tank, Rhino Tank)
- Sprite (Tesla Tank)
- lefthand (Flak Track)
- Westwood/WeeRaby2k (Hind Transport)

Posted Image

And here's some of the new Allied Voxols. In no particular order, they represent the Howitzer, IFV and Sheridan - the Grizzly replacement for the Paratrooper Battalion. The original creators are -

- Westwood ("Sheridan", Howitzer)
- Daz (IFV)

Additionally, there is a revoxoled Tank Destroyer and Grizzly Tank, which I will screenshot and credit at a later date (due in part to some weird invisible voxol bugs with the new Grizzly that's proving to be stubborn to fix - it's likely the game is reading neither the Voxol or the HVA, and yes I have checked - both files are present). Note that the Howitzer is likely to be replaced with a different model, and the Sheridan is going to be resized (because yes, it does look TINY). In the near future, I intend to -

- Integrate more Voxols/SHP's for new units.
- Find a (good, Allied skinned) replacement Howitzer.
- Assign Arctic Art for Infantry.
- Fix the damned Grizzly somehow.

That should be it for this update. As a query though - would this be a good point to set up a Mod DB page? Or would more work be required to bring it up to standard?

Quick Edit - If I have forgotten to credit you, or have mis credited someone, post it here and I will fix this accordingly.

Edited by Sir Shockwave, 23 August 2011 - 02:23 PM.

#9 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  • Projects:Red-Resurrection
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 23 August 2011 - 07:39 PM

I would wait until you have a lot of work to show at once before making a ModDB page. It's better to make an explosive entrance with plenty of fresh screenshots IMO.

I know you've just started but I would have a go a retexturing those voxels to make each side cohesive. It looks tonnes better and as we've all seen those voxels before a nice reskin could give them a fresh edge. Anyway, keep it up.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#10 Sir Shockwave

Sir Shockwave
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 10:22 PM

I would wait until you have a lot of work to show at once before making a ModDB page. It's better to make an explosive entrance with plenty of fresh screenshots IMO.

Point taken. I'd just rather not be double posting every time there's an update.

I know you've just started but I would have a go a retexturing those voxels to make each side cohesive. It looks tonnes better and as we've all seen those voxels before a nice reskin could give them a fresh edge.

I've considered it, especially in regards to groups like the Black Guard. However, modifying the Voxols of others to me seems to just not be right - I mean I'm modifying another person's work, and I don't think a simple credit would suffice if that's the case.

Anyway, keep it up.

Will do n.n

#11 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:30 AM

Point taken. I'd just rather not be double posting every time there's an update.

It's not a big deal to double post for updates.

I've considered it, especially in regards to groups like the Black Guard. However, modifying the Voxols of others to me seems to just not be right - I mean I'm modifying another person's work, and I don't think a simple credit would suffice if that's the case.

I've had tons of voxels edited. If it's public, it's free reign to edit and do whatever as long as credit is given.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Steam

#12 Sir Shockwave

Sir Shockwave
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:25 AM

It's not a big deal to double post for updates.

I see, I'll bear that in mind.

I've had tons of voxels edited. If it's public, it's free reign to edit and do whatever as long as credit is given.

Ah, okay. Just wanting to be sure.

*Adds to the To Do list*

#13 Sir Shockwave

Sir Shockwave
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 09:58 PM

Quick Mini Bump - 24/08/2011 - Updated FAQ. Still at work, going to do a big update some time next week.

#14 Sir Shockwave

Sir Shockwave
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 05:36 PM

*In dramatic Quake Announcer Voice* TRIPLE POST.

Nevertheless, another update...and I wish I had something to show. I had some bad luck with the INI File, and it's looking like it's falling apart steadily. Specifically, my own stupid fault - I tried narrowing the Tech Levels from 10 to 4, since a lot of the Tech Levels seem redundant. Apparently, YR does not agree with my opinion.

Also, there appears to be a lack of resources for YR. Two Voxols I've been after - a proper Sheridan Tank and a Avro Vulcan - don't seem to exist anymore (or never have in the case of the Sheridan). Some of the factions as well look to be beyond the tools I have - one of which we'll discuss below. For today's spotlight, the Allied FutureTech Battalion.

The FutureTech Battalions are the luckiest Allied Men and Women - these are the divisions equipped with various new toys that are out of prototype and into the more experimental stage, and at varying degrees of quality, from almost ready to mass produce to hard to replace works.

The FutureTech Battalion's exact specialty varies, depending on the tree picked. Instead of a normal Tier 2/Tier 3 tech up, they have the usual Tier 1 Tech and then can choose one (and only one) of the following trees -

Energy - A Glass Cannon, Offence oriented tree. Contains Prism Tanks, Ion Tractors and the Thor Experimental Siege weapon.
Mirage - A stealth and trickery oriented tree. Contains Mirage Tanks, Camouflage Drones and Phantom Snipers.
Chrono - A tree that focuses on disruption and teleportation, as well as reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. Contains Chrono Legionnares, Chrono Tanks and the Immobiliser Experimental Base Defence.
Robotics - Robotic units are the strongest units the Allies will have access to, being immune to a variety of effects, but also share one crippling weakness - all the robots are slaved to the same building. When it goes, all your Robots deactivate.

Note that the example units above may not end up in said trees, and may end up being cut altogether (and for those people already thinking I won't cut the Prism Tank OR the Mirage Tank - I've already cut the Battle Fortress - I'm not afraid of cutting a "canon" unit or fan favorite!).

At any rate, the exact manner hasn't been settled on. As individual buildings, they'd need some kind of scripting to prevent the player building all of the Tech Trees...which may crash YR if it was implimented. I did find a tutorial on Building Plugins, but there was a small print that made that moot:

Upgrades can not give the player ability to build new unit(s). If you attempt to do so, each building built after the plugin causes the new unit(s) to dissapear from the sidebar, making them unbuildable again.

Simply put, unless Ares has fixed that, that throws that idea out of the window. So how this mechanic is going to be implimented I have no idea. Buuut on the happier news, I can show you the first of the new FutureTech Battalion units.

Posted Image

The little Mecha in the picture your seeing there is the Enforcer Battlesuit - it's a redited version of a SHP IceDragon200 made a while back, originally for Tiberian Sun. The original topic is here, I just downloaded it, converted it to be RA2/YR and re-palleted it to Allied Scheme. And no, this actually looks about the right scale - it's supposed to be between 8 or 9 feet tall, so it scales nicely with the tanks.

While I'm crediting, those are Azari Apoc's Allied Medium Battle Tanks from his first ever Voxol Pack, and TX1138's Tank Destroyer respectively.

Anyways, the Enforcer is unlocked though the Energy Tree. The Enforcer is a bipedal, 8 to 9 foot tall Battlesuit designed as a new wave of Allied Heavy Infantry. In gameplay terms, it's an Infantryman built at the War Factory (for reasons relating to the SHP more than anything else). It's armed with a Laser Cutter - a laser with a fare range and fast rate of fire, allowing it to slice open tanks easily, and with it's plate armour it's virtually proof from the worst AT weapons most mainline tanks carry. However, the Enforcer is very much an infantryman still - it's vulnerable to Anti Infantry weapons, and it's laser cannot hit Aircraft, nor is it very effective against infantry. While a pack can slice though a handful of Apocalypse Tanks, a wave of Tesla Troopers or even Conscripts can easily whittle them down with virtually no loss of life.

And that's your update. My apologies for it not being much, but we've had a large number of setbacks. I also have the feeling there's no interest, given I'd imagine the FAQ update would have gathered (at the very least) some hate mail over me choosing to ignore Yuri for the time being.

Ah well, until next time.

Quick Edit - Becuase I forgot, the IFV at the back was made by a chap named Melle. It came with the download I got for Daz, and just looked better.

Edited by Sir Shockwave, 29 August 2011 - 06:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users