How to be rid of the comical general appearences

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mglk

mglk
  • New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 04:03 PM

Hey all. I must admit that I really enjoy playing Contra 007, and it got me back to gaming. However, I have one complaint and it's REALLY annoying. When I open a map, I always come across these modified, comical general faces, i.e. a Satanized General Tao, a Dr. Thrax with a skull head smoking a cigar, a Prince Kassad with a predator helmet or a General Granger with a pilot mask. So the question is, is there any way to revert these general loading screens back to original? And if so, how? Thanks.

#2 lil tasman

lil tasman

CnC Mapper

• Hosted
  • 903 posts
  • Projects:Contra 008, Fallout Wars
  •  Contra 008 Wallpapers, Advertising and Maps. Fallout Wars AI Coding, Advertising, and Maps.

Posted 26 August 2011 - 04:45 PM

I find them humorous. Why do you want to remove them?
Amat Victoria Curam
Victory Loves Preparation

Posted Image

#3 rainmaker

rainmaker
  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 10:46 PM

first off, you would need to know what you are doing, then you would have to download the .big file modifier Finalbig from the Contra web site, then find the reference to the picture, then find the original picture and insert it (see my screen shot below). I think it can also be done with the MOD Builder engine, but I have never used that so I don't know for sure.

Essentially, you are undoing the modification work done by Creator and the MOD team, so I don't imagine you will find many friends here in this forum willing to help you out...

Attached Thumbnails

• big.PNG

Edited by rainmaker, 26 August 2011 - 10:48 PM.

#4 lil tasman

lil tasman

CnC Mapper

• Hosted
  • 903 posts
  • Projects:Contra 008, Fallout Wars
  •  Contra 008 Wallpapers, Advertising and Maps. Fallout Wars AI Coding, Advertising, and Maps.

Posted 26 August 2011 - 11:28 PM

Heh, and you probably wont be able play online because of different file contents.
Amat Victoria Curam
Victory Loves Preparation

Posted Image

#5 Casojin

Casojin

Democracy not Dictatorship

• Project Team
  • 2,121 posts
  •  Thinker

Posted 05 September 2011 - 05:33 AM

I don't think the cameo differences will prevent you from playing online as long as you don't edit the INI files.
CASOJIN

Posted Image

#6 predator_bg

predator_bg

The predator

• Hosted
  • 2,435 posts
  • Projects:Contra

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:52 AM

008 will bring back the original pictures.

#7 Creator

Creator

The cat

• Hosted
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:16 PM

first off, you would need to know what you are doing, then you would have to download the .big file modifier Finalbig from the Contra web site, then find the reference to the picture, then find the original picture and insert it (see my screen shot below). I think it can also be done with the MOD Builder engine, but I have never used that so I don't know for sure.

Replacing files is bad idea because you will delete a number of unit icons too. It is better to open TGA files in Photoshop or another editor, replace generals portraits and save.

Heh, and you probably wont be able play online because of different file contents.

You will be able to play online. Graphics don't effect online play.

PS: And by the way, as Predator noted, we will remove comic icons in Contra 008.

Edited by Creator, 07 August 2012 - 04:17 PM.

#8 Vint

Vint
  • Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:30 PM

PS: And by the way, as Predator noted, we will remove comic icons in Contra 008.

I wish you wouldn't - they may be 'cheesy' but they add some personality and uniqueness to the mod, and fit the overall 'vibe' of the mod - as opposed to the same old generic Generals' portraits that have been seen to death in 1000 other mods.

#9 predator_bg

predator_bg

The predator

• Hosted
  • 2,435 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:46 PM

I wish you wouldn't - they may be 'cheesy' but they add some personality and uniqueness to the mod, and fit the overall 'vibe' of the mod - as opposed to the same old generic Generals' portraits that have been seen to death in 1000 other mods.

I agree, but most of the people were annoyed by their appearances. There were just a few people who liked Contra's portraits. You can extract them from 007 and insert them for yourself in 008 when it comes out if you know how.

#10 Vint

Vint
  • Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:13 AM

I agree, but most of the people were annoyed by their appearances. There were just a few people who liked Contra's portraits. You can extract them from 007 and insert them for yourself in 008 when it comes out if you know how.

Thanks - is there any way to just create an option to toggle them on/off before launching the mod? For example, SWR's Shockwave mod has an option to toggle on/off "classic Red Alert 2-style unit camos" prior to launching the mod.

Edited by Vint, 14 December 2012 - 03:14 AM.

#11 predator_bg

predator_bg

The predator

• Hosted
  • 2,435 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:38 AM

Thanks - is there any way to just create an option to toggle them on/off before launching the mod? For example, SWR's Shockwave mod has an option to toggle on/off "classic Red Alert 2-style unit camos" prior to launching the mod.

There is a way, but depends on Creator's decision. He can make it if he wants. But it won't be soon as we have a very important task right now - finishing the Beta for this month.

Edited by predator_bg, 14 December 2012 - 08:38 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users