#1 Neth

Neth

God's Shadow

• Project Team
  • 930 posts
  • Projects:Taking over the world
  •  Technician of Execution

Posted 16 September 2011 - 09:38 PM

This is a slightly random question, and I might be missing out on something really obvious, but how did fish get into lakes and lochs that aren't attached to the sea?

Posted Image
Posted Image

This face means nothing, these hands hold nothing, these lungs are empty, these eyes are blind

#2 Ridder Geel

Ridder Geel

Master Yelloh

• T3A Staff
  • 10,852 posts
  • Projects:RC Mod + SEE + RTS Engine
  •  The Dangerous T3A Team Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 16 September 2011 - 09:57 PM

Evolution of smaller organisms?
Ridder Geel

#3 Neth

Neth

God's Shadow

• Project Team
  • 930 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 10:05 PM

True, but (as far as I'm aware) then (at least) most of the species found in likes are found in rivers too, and lakes that are connected to seas, how did they get there without there being (obvious) ways to get there?

Posted Image
Posted Image

This face means nothing, these hands hold nothing, these lungs are empty, these eyes are blind

#4 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 16 September 2011 - 11:19 PM

I would say tectonic plate drift. The world we see today has not always been around.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

#5 Radspakr Wolfbane

Radspakr Wolfbane

The John Farnham of modding

• Members
  • 7,722 posts
  • Projects:Comeback tour
  •  The Retired Beard

Posted 17 September 2011 - 12:40 AM

There are a few different reasons.
Sometimes it could a shift in the landscape like Tectonic plates, sometimes bodies of water were once connected to a larger body of water and got separated during a drought and the third would be from the last Ice age.

There are species that have evolved differently in that kind of environment.
There are 2 fish species in Australia that live close together in separate bodies of water.
The 2 waters were once connected and the fish got split up researchers believe this happened about 10,000 years ago or less.
In the short time the 2 fish species have evolved differently with different colouring and even a physical difference.

Break dancing into the hearts of millions

#6 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts
  • Projects:The Peloponnesian Wars Mod.
  •  There are no heroes, no villains - only decisions.
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator

Posted 17 September 2011 - 12:51 AM

Because God made them that way.

#7 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 17 September 2011 - 06:46 AM

Har.

Flooding makes new / limited stream paths and fish eggs in animal poo. Lived next to a lake like that a long time ago.

#8 Neth

Neth

God's Shadow

• Project Team
  • 930 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 02:30 AM

How about lakes formed from glaciation (Corrie lochans/tarns)? They have fish in them, but can't have been in contact with any other water source, and yet still seem to have fish in them (from wat I've researched) could people have put fish in them?

Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 19 September 2011 - 06:26 AM

I was referring to a short-time span, but that be a good question. In kettle-lakes like that, ancient societies did stock lakes with fish. Early Woodland Native Americans such as Cahokia began the domestication of fish and the creation of artificial lakes. So lots o' cultures around the world began their earliest forms of animal domestication with fish. And also remember, the water levels today were not the same 10,000 years ago... or even 1,000 years ago. The Great lakes are a fairly new, actually. Lakes today may have had fluvial streams going into them, or were part of the ocean itself at one point.

Like the first topic at Revora I could actually put my Archaeology degree to use...

#10 Neth

Neth

God's Shadow

• Project Team
  • 930 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 11:29 PM

I see, so that's likely a case in lakes formed by glacial erosion? That's what I was really meaning all along. It was a question that came up in my geography class when we were doing Glaciation :p

Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 22 September 2011 - 05:21 AM

Usually questions are meant to be answered in class if asked, but the best answer would be ancient fluvial processes creating spawn areas inland. I remember doing a study on a fresh water pond formed from a kettle lake in the middle of Gambia years ago that had fish in it. I took my pickaxe along the dunes and found fish bones very far away from lake, and later tracking the ancient stream that once flowed from it to the ocean. I guarantee I could find the same pattern continued to the Ohio River since the stream existed during the Super Continent, relating to the position of Gambia and the eastern US coast.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users