Legolas Toggle Button?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Gollum

Gollum
  • Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 02:52 PM

Alright so we all know that Legolas is a beast right? Well I feel like BFME and EA made him stink. Legolas first of all SHOULD have a toggle sword/bow ability. I mean come on Legolas rocks the Uruks with his swords. So why not let him have swords and bow?! Legolas is also wicked powerful/agile? Idk I just feel like people think Legolas is some weak little elf when actually he's arguably the strongest warrior in the fellowship! Lego is a beast. Pretty sure that in the books he snipes a Fellbeast from like a mile away. In the movies he climbs a chain onto a trolls head and shoots two arrows in its skull. Lego snipes like 3 wargs from a mile away in the Two Towers, and slides down the stair on a shield. And who will ever forget when Legolas climbs a flippin Mumakil, Kills a majority of the Haradrim archers in it, and then takes three arrows and puts them in the beast. And then casually slides down the trunk. I feel like Lego should be at least the 2nd best hero for the elves. I don't know if anyone agrees with me but this is how I feel. Lego should be a beast with swords.
I'm not listening, not listening!

#2 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts
  • Projects:Ex-Advisor
  •  Resident Shakespearean.

Posted 20 September 2011 - 03:00 PM

Legolas already has the Knife Fighter ability to do that. Even without it, he would still be the most overpowered character in the game (minus Ring Heroes, of course). If you've played through the BFME 1 campaign, you know that it keeps track of the Fellowship's kills. Legolas easily has twice as much as everyone else: even Gandalf with Word of Power. I don't think he needs to be "improved" any more.
BulletsfromaGunbanner_zps974f3ea8.png

Careful. This link is DANGEROUS. Do NOT click it. This one, however, is fine.

I had the meaning of life in my signature, but it exceeded the character limit.

#3 Gollum

Gollum
  • Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 08:08 PM

I have played all of the games. Legolas is the most powerful because he has range and can shoot far. That's why he gets the most kills. I think if we are going to be true to the movies Lego should have a toggle swords/bow button. Knife fighter is a joke anyways in my eyes.
I'm not listening, not listening!

#4 Tacalmo

Tacalmo
  • Members
  • 114 posts
  • Projects:Standing idle and watching.

Posted 17 January 2015 - 10:43 PM

Agreed
Still round that corner may await, A new road or a secret gate.-J.R.R Tolkien

#5 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 18 January 2015 - 02:00 AM

You resurrected a 2011 thread just to say that?

We don't necessarily dislike thread necromancy here, but at least have something to say on the subject. :p

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#6 Tacalmo

Tacalmo
  • Members
  • 114 posts
  • Projects:Standing idle and watching.

Posted 18 January 2015 - 04:14 AM

He he, necromancy, I'm an Angmar sorcerer now!!!
Still round that corner may await, A new road or a secret gate.-J.R.R Tolkien

#7 Vandil

Vandil
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:34 AM

Hey sry for bumping an old topic,

but i have maybe a solution,

is it possible to copy the srcript from Haldir? for toggling to knives?

(about them who are crying for an OP Hero,maybe it is possible to shorten his shootingrange? id think that would be one really nice compensation for this "mode")

If yes i'd go for it,i can script some things,maybe i can do this,but pls give me the needed programms(list of them),

i have no overview what is needed to do so ;) -If any dev is interested please conatct me,would be nice!

#8 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  • Projects:It'sa secreeet
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Expert
  • Donated

Posted 12 May 2015 - 03:06 PM

It's not a matter of whether or not it's possible, more about whether or not it's necessary. If Legolas had a permanent melee toggle, then he would become even more overpowered than he already is, and therefor would need to be balanced. That would likely mean making his archery less effective than it currently is because even if in the films and books he is a royal badass, this is still a strategy game. Making a hero purposefully overpowered really hurts when it comes down to competitive gameplay.

https://www.twitch.tv/vileartist - Yes shameless self-promotion

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Old modders never die, they just fade away" ~ Hostile

#9 Vandil

Vandil
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 06:09 PM

I was not about to create a hero for playing competitive games,i'm playing bfme only in singleplayer skirmishes,and btw even if he'd be at first OP-balancing could be done ;)

If i could choose i'd give every elven hero and most other heros a distance weopon/bow,cause if you read the books nearby every hero was using one during the story ;) in my eyes most heros have not enough skills,like riding is missing too!

Edited by Vandil, 13 May 2015 - 06:10 AM.

#10 njm1983

njm1983

title available

• Project Team
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:18 PM

SEE isnt a competitive mod and the heroes have different roles now. it could be possible to see him be a toggle. I know Id prefer that.

#11 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 13 May 2015 - 12:19 PM

If SEE isn't competitive, then there's no balance. Even if there's not going to be any e-sport events to feature SEE, it's still got to be balanced. Playing against other players makes it competitive, and if you guys want an OP Legolas in there, well..

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#12 Vandil

Vandil
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 01:58 PM

Doing such a change doesnt mean it is unbalance-able!

#13 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Donated

Posted 13 May 2015 - 02:35 PM

All I am saying, is to do what you want and go ahead and balance it would likely make for a much less fun to use version of Legolas, because the powerful archer hero you know and love would HAVE to be noticeably weaker when using the bow simply because he will now have a dedicated melee mode also.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#14 Vandil

Vandil
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 02:42 PM

Oh and where is the problem,cause atm there is no difference if an enemy is far away or head-to-head.... most of them are shot down before they can reach hin,the rest is killed without any big difference by his fast bow damage...but what is your problem? most players i've nver use the knifes cause they are not worth it-but with toggle it would bring up whole new possibilitys and haldir even isn't op eventhough he can toggle and he still is strong ;)

Maybe a good way to give him in contrary to haldir : ("far")Less alpha dmg with knives/swords than with the bow would be fair enough ;)

#15 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Donated

Posted 13 May 2015 - 02:52 PM

If the damage is far less, then what would be the point of using it?

#16 Vandil

Vandil
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 03:01 PM

As far as i said was alpha damage,not dpm ;) so i think there could be done a good balancing ...or is it in bfme so different to how other games deal with range and melee weapons in the same environment? -and what about faramir and haldir they can shit,bard should do too so where is your point of denying? -im still sure balancing could be done on a good lvl....or shorten the alpha damage for the bow? so he has to fight more melees? he at least was using his knifes more often than the current solution is letting you...or brings feeling to how it should be...he should be able to toggle and not to activate over time!

#17 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Donated

Posted 13 May 2015 - 03:13 PM

Personally, I would rather have Legolas use a close-range melee switch, where he only switches to knives when enemies are within melee range.

#18 Vandil

Vandil
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 03:32 PM

would that bring any disadvantage or advantage ? cause using swords for far away enemys seems to be senseless especially if he is so strong with his bow ;)...or are you speaking of forced swith? hm id say no...maybe it could be done by bringing massive dmg nerfs to melee using the bow?

-i saw units(could be the ones in rj-rotwk) which were only strong with the bow over distance but weak at close quarter ;) -

so knife-usage makes sense? for me atm knife usage is more a thing of correcting mistakes done by EA ;) and not creating an OP hero

...as far as i know he has not so strong armour like elrond or haldir or glorfindel has or like i think thranduil should have (and yes the thranduil version of the hobbit with sword as 1st weapon and bow as 2nd would even be more satisfying ;) )

...and cause with advantage does it has to toggle than graphic-effects? maybe riding units? oh wait he shoots most of them down too...so no arguing here ;) ...but it would bring big story advantages !

#19 njm1983

njm1983

title available

• Project Team
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 03:53 PM

Personally, I would rather have Legolas use a close-range melee switch, where he only switches to knives when enemies are within melee range.

This is a pretty cool idea. I would definitely go with this.

#20 Vandil

Vandil
  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 04:11 PM

wouldnt that make him more OP? autoswitch? nope i can't see a real reason why toggle weapon would be op anyways...problem is i have no knowledge about the needed modding programms so i efen can't test a toggle legolas for testingpurposes on my pc in singleplayermode ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users