• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 njm1983

njm1983

title available

• Project Team
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:07 AM

After hours of toil and more still to go, I feel this is somwhat ready enough to show. Ive reshaped the lake at the center to match better to Tolkiens map. Ive also added in the ruins of Annuminas - which Im still working on. From what Ive read the city was only abandoned so most of the buildings and walls will be intact.

Posted Image

The points of the lake have been left shallow for passability reasons, The ruins serve no real tactical purpose but depending on how the map gets played, could be an area for cool battles.

#2 Ridder Blauw

Ridder Blauw

title available

• Project Team
  • 1,277 posts
  •  Do not force yourself into modding it's bad for your health.

Posted 05 October 2011 - 05:43 AM

Awesome! :good:

#3 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

LEGO Knight of Minas Ithil

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  • Projects:Mapping this Middle-earth
  •  Mapper
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:17 AM

6 players I presume? If you like send me the minimap when you feel like it. I will be away for a little bit however.

The ruins will definitely be awesome to battle inside, but I also guess Annuminas will be slightly bigger?

Another great map from you by the way!

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

#4 njm1983

njm1983

title available

• Project Team
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 03:56 PM

Yes 6 player - the grey patches are the player locations. I've still got many many more ruins to add, it just takes a lot of time.

#5 Fudge

Fudge

title available

• Project Team
  • 531 posts
  • Projects:Luckily AotR Mapping

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:22 PM

Oh I hear you Ruins are not easy, When I made Linhir I spent about 3 weeks creating the city ruins and it's difficult as Ea only suplied a handfull of whole building ruins and those are good but if there used over and over it looks unrealistic so you end up spending ages with lots of little peices to try and make one whole ruin.

Nice map I've seen alot of Lake Evendim maps but This is probably my favorite. :good:

#6 njm1983

njm1983

title available

• Project Team
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:47 PM

Thanks Fudge, thats a very generous compliment. I have to say that the prior lake evendim maps did give inspiration to me, so without them this would never have been. Ruins take a lot of creativity, just look at my osgiliath map that thing is like 80% covered in ruins! Took forever and a day.

So you did the linhir map going into TDH? thats a really impressive map.

#7 Fudge

Fudge

title available

• Project Team
  • 531 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 10:12 PM

I think the reason I prefer it to most of the Lake evendim maps is that it has a nice lake structure and it has some Great looking beaches (I Love beaches).

Well Thank you Very Much :) , When you say the "Osgiliath" Map is that the one in TDH?

Edited by Fudge, 05 October 2011 - 10:13 PM.

#8 Dúnedain76

Dúnedain76

Misty Mountain Hop

• Division Admins
  • 451 posts
  •  Mapper, Artist, Coder
  • Job:The3rdAge Admin

Posted 05 October 2011 - 10:18 PM

I think he means the Osgiliath map in RJ ROTWK (not meaning to butt in to the conversation.) Anyways, I do like the map, it makes me want to edit my copy of Lake Evendim. :p

#9 njm1983

njm1983

title available

• Project Team
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:39 PM

Dúnedain Ranger76 is right its the one in Rj Rotwk, it will also be featured in SEE.

Slightly closer look at the ruins
Posted Image

#10 Fudge

Fudge

title available

• Project Team
  • 531 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:25 AM

I took a look at your osgilliath map, Very nice as well.

Just a suggestion but maybe a few Small peices of Rubble scattered about the buildings and roads to give it a more realistic look, That's just what I think.

Edited by Fudge, 06 October 2011 - 11:26 AM.

#11 njm1983

njm1983

title available

• Project Team
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 02:26 PM

Lol fudge. I'm aware that I need to do that. Just havent yet, gonna finish making the buildings then go back through and add rubble shrubs and trees and more texturing. :crazed:

#12 Fudge

Fudge

title available

• Project Team
  • 531 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 03:10 PM

Awesome :xcahik_: Well I Just wanted to make sure as it's such a cool map I didn't want something like that to spoil the look of it. :)

#13 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  • Projects:BFME2 - Nazgûl's Special Extended Edition
  •  Veteran

Posted 06 October 2011 - 04:00 PM

That last screen is: :thumbsupsmiley:

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
"Do not come between the Nazgûl and his mod!"
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I S.E.E. YOU! <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#14 _Haldir_

_Haldir_

Mapper

• Project Team
  • 1,203 posts
  • Projects:The Dwarf Holds, The Elven Alliance: Community Edition
  •  T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 08 October 2011 - 04:37 AM

The ruins serve no real tactical purpose but depending on how the map gets played, could be an area for cool battles.

Sort of similar to your Walls of Moria map, you might find that players rarely venture inside the ruins if there's no real reason for them to go that way. Just a thought, maybe you could play around with the cliffs and gates to do something like this?

Posted Image

If you extend that one cliff right up to the city walls, and reposition the southern gate, it would force people to travel through the city to cross the bridge on the other side. It would create more opportunity for defending chokepoints, and would also make climbing the walls much more useful for defending the gates ;)

And maybe some inns or outposts or lairs or something in that inner area would again, give players more of an incentive to travel through that way.

And like Fudge says, ruins take ages to do. It would be a shame for all that time and effort to be just glanced over by players who are just going to walk around it.

Posted Image Posted Image

#15 Námo

Námo

• Project Team
  • 1,291 posts
  • Projects:Middle-earth Lore, Cartography & Linguistics

Posted 08 October 2011 - 11:59 AM

The ruins serve no real tactical purpose but depending on how the map gets played, could be an area for cool battles.

... you might find that players rarely venture inside the ruins if there's no real reason for them to go that way. Just a thought, maybe you could play around with the cliffs and gates ...

If you ... force people to travel through the city ... It would create more opportunity for defending chokepoints, and would also make climbing the walls much more useful for defending the gates ...

And maybe some inns or outposts or lairs or something in that inner area would again, give players more of an incentive to travel through that way.

I concur, but would like it even more with this variation on Haldir's proposal:

If you instead of extending the cliffs to the west of the city make a new outer wall with a gate, there'll be space for inns/outposts/lairs inside the city perimeter, and thus making it more important. In my opinion a place like Annuminas deserves that.

It would indeed be nice to see some "mini-fortress" maps where historical places somehow become the focal point of game-play, and not just eye-candy.
... elen síla lúmenn´ ómentielvo ...
... a star shines on the hour of our meeting ...
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#16 njm1983

njm1983

title available

• Project Team
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 02:40 PM

Good points by both of you guys. Of course I expected nothing less.

Before I incorporate the changes you suggest, the first thing I'll need to change is the start locations- I believe that this is the main reason the city doesn't get included in game play. The current setup is upper left vs bottom right. So a change to bottom left vs upper right will bring the ruins into the battle.

#17 njm1983

njm1983

title available

• Project Team
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 07:07 AM

OK folks Ive made several changes:

Heres the outer walls Ive added:

Posted Image

Heres some disguised signal fires by the ruined Palace to draw you into the deepest parts of the city:

Posted Image

Here is the new start location splitting the map top right vs bottom left:

Posted Image

#18 Guest_PrinceofMirkwood_*

Guest_PrinceofMirkwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:49 AM

Looks like a huge manta ray :thumbsupsmiley:

Great map NJM! = )

#19 Ridder Blauw

Ridder Blauw

title available

• Project Team
  • 1,277 posts
  •  Do not force yourself into modding it's bad for your health.

Posted 09 October 2011 - 02:09 PM

Looks awesome! Perhaps later you could have those signal fires reskinned!

#20 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

LEGO Knight of Minas Ithil

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  • Projects:Mapping this Middle-earth
  •  Mapper
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 11 October 2011 - 12:26 PM

Well, part of being a mapper is being able to disguise things like signal fires so they don't need modding. I think NJM might agree...
Can't wait to play your maps NJM!

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users