Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:10 AM

I found this topic to be worthy of Deep Thought since it is dissecting a social fad with debatable sides. But certain unnamed individuals of our community have displayed opinions of this new trend.

So a Brony is a male of a certain age that is a fan and/or viewer of the latest animated sensation, My Little Pony, based off the popular toy figurines made for females of a certain age. It has evolved into a cult fanbase that has developed art, catchphrases and memes based on the show that have become popular across the internet. I don't want to bring the two sides on Bronies yet to avoid appearing biased on any part, but I'm curious on Revora's opinion firstly.

#2 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 08 November 2011 - 01:45 AM

I think it's obvious where I stand. I absolutely love the show. Admittedly, I was skeptical at first, but I broke down and watched it after a friend of mine kept pestering me to watch a clip. I watched said clip and I was blown away by the quality, care and just the overall design. Put simply, the show is brilliant and enjoyable. Literally anyone can enjoy Friendship Is Magic.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

#3 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Artist

Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:14 AM

I only watched episode one and some youtube vids, but it seems that the creator has the finger on the pulse of them internetz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Tjb14VoWjg&feature=player_embedded
My favorite in that one is probably this one(15m22secs, but youtube isn't too kind).

Edited by duke_Qa, 08 November 2011 - 08:44 AM.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#4 Ganon

Ganon

What's this?

• Project Team
  • 967 posts
  • Projects:My Link Mod
  •  Code Scientist

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:28 AM

That was ... Really good. :xd:

Edited by Ganon, 09 November 2011 - 12:21 AM.

#5 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  • Projects:Revora, C&C:Online
  •  Thought Police
  • Job:Network Leader
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:27 PM

So a Brony is a male of a certain age that is a fan and/or viewer of the latest animated sensation, My Little Pony, based off the popular toy figurines made for females of a certain age. It has evolved into a cult fanbase that has developed art, catchphrases and memes based on the show that have become popular across the internet. I don't want to bring the two sides on Bronies yet to avoid appearing biased on any part, but I'm curious on Revora's opinion firstly.

A Brony? Seriously? I don't consider myself conservative at all, but sometimes you just have to wonder where the fuck this world is heading to :mellow:

On a more serious note, I'll move this to Open Topic where it belongs. Bronies, debatable or not, are not philosophical discussion. Not unless this turns into a general debate on how Internet memes change our lives...

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

Sieben Elefanten hatte Herr Dschin
Und da war dann noch der achte.
Sieben waren wild und der achte war zahm
Und der achte war's, der sie bewachte.

#6 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:35 PM

Yeah I was wondering a bit about the depth of the topic, but I think this one explains it well.

I haven't gotten through more than the first episode yet, but I guess it hits the ratio of crazy and awesome sprinkled with cultural references well.

Edited by duke_Qa, 08 November 2011 - 07:38 PM.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#7 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  •  Thought Police
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:00 PM

Yeah I've seen that. However, my current opinion is still "WTF?"

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

#8 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:13 PM

I knew you were gonna' move this, Sith... You never let me have anything for Christmas. But I share the opinion, though.

And Duke, you're about one episode enjoyment away from being a 'ffffffanah'ah'nnah... faaaaa... Fan. Go watch The Dresden Files before your skin sparkles and burns.

So I just got back from long, heated debates at Planet Minecraft against 'Bronyisim'. I don't care what people watch and like... I have a pile of contraband snuff films in my shed I play during my Halloween movie nights for people, but the difference is that I don't create a social status with it and convince others to share my views with it, creating a social order. My Little Pony is a show dedicated to female empowerment and horse butts, and people have followed it as if they hide crack cocaine in people's TVs. People don't concern me... it's grown men. Men worshiping a show dedicated to female empowerment, and like Wulfy said, they uphold the 'Friendship is Magic' theme like Jesus Christ wrote a book on it. Thomas the Tank Engine has the same theme, so why not create a Thomas cult? But anywho... I'm not keen on the agenda of the homosexual, so there's not a chance I'd rather see grown men dressing their profiles up in sparkles and shrugging horses as an alternative.

But even worse is how they debate. They have some shared storage locker filled with .gif images and fan art dedicated to attacking people who dare reveal their negative opinion on the subject, among other uses. Beopuny even did it in that desktop topic that made me face-palm myself. On Planet Minecraft, some Brony posted a picture of an 'orbital friendship rainbow beam' after I said their crappy crayon drawing of a horse was crappy... when it honestly was. But that's all I'm gonna' rant about for now... I almost broke my post oath: "If I don't want to read that much, I shouldn't write that much."

Edited by {IP}Pasidon, 08 November 2011 - 08:15 PM.

#9 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:47 PM

A Brony? Seriously? I don't consider myself conservative at all, but sometimes you just have to wonder where the fuck this world is heading to :mellow:

You act as though having a title for enjoying a particular title is a bad thing. In the end, it's just a TV show that found an audience in a wider market than anticipated. Then again, anything Lauren Faust has touched in the past has done the same thing. Like the Powerpuff Girls. Sounds lame, but it's a damn fine cartoon.

[EDIT] For that matter, so is Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends. Solid gold right there. Seriously.

But anywho... I'm not keen on the agenda of the homosexual, so there's not a chance I'd rather see grown men dressing their profiles up in sparkles and shrugging horses as an alternative.

I think you're confusing sanity with being not right in the head. Most of us bronies are not campy gay guys. We're just... guys who find enjoyment from a light hearted television program. I see nothing wrong with that and anyone who actually has a problem needs to be slapped a few times with the cluebat.

Edited by Beowulf, 08 November 2011 - 08:49 PM.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Steam

#10 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:56 PM

Maybe this is one of the first times a western animation series have hit the same market as anime have been covering for the last 20 years. Well, beyond the typical adult humor shows like Simpsons and family guy and all those subgenres there. More "for the heck of it" and less "its political satire so its okay to watch"

Edited by duke_Qa, 08 November 2011 - 08:57 PM.

#11 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  •  Thought Police
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 08 November 2011 - 09:20 PM

O tempora! O mores! :p

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

#12 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 08 November 2011 - 09:22 PM

I find that sad when shows like Adventure Time and Regular show deserve more praise.

I think you're confusing sanity with being not right in the head. Most of us bronies are not campy gay guys. We're just... guys who find enjoyment from a light hearted television program. I see nothing wrong with that and anyone who actually has a problem needs to be slapped a few times with the cluebat.

I didn't say they be' gay, I said they're an alternate. This hater gonna' hate, so deal with it.

Edited by {IP}Pasidon, 08 November 2011 - 09:24 PM.

#13 Vortigern

Vortigern

Sumquhat quisquis.

• Division Leaders
  • 4,654 posts
  • Projects:Workin'...
  •  ...like a workin' man do.
  • Division:Role-Playing Games
  • Job:Division Leader

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:38 PM

This hater gonna' hate, so deal with it.

That's the worst justification I've ever heard for anything.

I hadn't really come across any of this before, but it does seem quite entertaining. Duke, I did very much appreciate your favourite moment in that clipfest you posted. I guess maybe I'll give the Bronies a look.
I hope I am a good enough writer that some day dwarves kill me and drink my blood for wisdom.

#14 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:18 AM

What is good about it is the specific anti-girly character traits, the twilight sparkle isn't generic cutesy pink but semi-goth semi-anti-social, and Rainbow Dash has that punk look to the design. The other "main" characters are more typical girly again, but when the main characters are so radical, it helps sweetening the pill for those that have an anti-pink attitude. Basically, very good defining character traits that are not afraid of going against type.

#15 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts
  •  Weird Guy of the Forums

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:44 AM

My friend is a brony, he showed me this parody thing on youtube that started as a sonic cartoon(i assume the youtube series is a sonic abridged type thing) then cut into a whole episode of pony stuff (but funny parody stuff), i enjoyed it, though it didn't make me want to watch the real show.

Adventure time is better :p

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" -Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Posted Image|Posted Image
Posted Image|Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:16 AM

Adventure Time is God in comparison, yet I don't see a Jake and Finn cult. I suppose the only differences are superior animation, plot and lack of nude horse children.

This hater gonna' hate, so deal with it.

That's the worst justification I've ever heard for anything.

I'm glad you said that, because I was simply quoting popular phrases adopted by the Brony excursion.

#17 Elvenlord

Elvenlord

Polis Ranger

• Advisors
  • 3,838 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 09 November 2011 - 02:03 AM

AAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDDDVENTURE TIME!

That is all.

elvenlordbanner.jpg

#18 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 09 November 2011 - 02:10 AM

I took advantage of the post PR system and voted your post up one vote.

#19 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:00 AM

What is good about it is the specific anti-girly character traits, the twilight sparkle isn't generic cutesy pink but semi-goth semi-anti-social, and Rainbow Dash has that punk look to the design. The other "main" characters are more typical girly again, but when the main characters are so radical, it helps sweetening the pill for those that have an anti-pink attitude. Basically, very good defining character traits that are not afraid of going against type.

They're girly in appearance, but really, the traits all of them are designed around can apply to anybody. Fluttershy is... well... shy. Anyone can be shy and can be coaxed out of their shell. Pinkie Pie is a party animal. I don't think that's necessarily a "girly" trait either, nor is Applejack's work ethic. Rarity would be considered the most girly with her affinity for fashion and her refusal to get dirty. But again, I don't think that's mutually exclusive to either gender. You were right about Twilight and Rainbow Dash, but again, their main traits are not mutually exclusive either gender. Really, the characters are well defined, but I think you're aware of that. In the end, the characters make the show the shine more than anything else. The episode plots are nice, as well as the songs they threw in there. I've still got Winter Wrap Up stuck in my head.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Steam

#20 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 10 November 2011 - 08:32 AM

The show has sing-alongs? Oh-ho... wow... I have to find these...

I've actually been persuaded yesterday. I trolled a brony for some reason last night and he asked me a stunning question, "Do you hate Bronys or just their art?" I recalled a mid-summer's day in 2009 when I started trolling deviant art because people kept bulk posting furry """""""art""""""", which started my crusade against furries. I have more of a fixation towards hating fan art than people saying stupid things. If people quit making troll food, I would starve... if they quit making fan """""""art"""""", my face wouldn't be soar from the face-palming. So I don't particularly rage when I see a Brony, I rage when I see them making or using fan """"""""art"""""""".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users