68 replies to this topic

#21 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:29 AM

You have clearly not seen the things I've seen if you think most furry art is that bad. Same goes with most of the MLP fan works. Japanese artists are the reigning kings of fucked up shit. Furries, while they have their dumb shit too, don't hold a candle to Japan.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

#22 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:38 AM

Oh yea, I've seen some of the Japanese's work at various Anime """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""art""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" forums. I think it was last year I found an actual site run by Japs dedicated to 'the art of fetishes'. It was in Japanese and everything, but... the pictures. ... It cannot be unseen. They have some weird obsession with turning Final Fantasy into a snuff film, and that's all I can say that would make sense. You know something's wrong with your fan art if it's harder to look at than the new Ren & Stempy show.

Oh, I watched that video you posted, Duke. You could have told me it was partial mock parody and not an actual episode. It had an obscene amount of Tim & Eric jokes references, which I find more vile than Pony Poo. Oh well... I still have to wash my brain with Secret Mountain Fort Awesome now after viewing it.

Edited by {IP}Pasidon, 10 November 2011 - 10:05 AM.

#23 Radspakr Wolfbane

Radspakr Wolfbane

The John Farnham of modding

• Members
  • 7,722 posts
  • Projects:Comeback tour
  •  The Retired Beard

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:46 PM

After years of watching kids cartoons and being about the only in my real life who does I've learned to not care what people do with their free time.
If they want to be a Brony and make fan art of it power to them.
After all I'm on a modding community making a mod for a Lord of the Rings strategy game which a lot of people would find weird.

That being sad I'm not big on MLP but have the first 3 seasons of Sailor Moon and all of Card Captors on my computer. :p

Break dancing into the hearts of millions

#24 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Artist

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:28 PM

Yeah, we in a modding forum don't have much to say about the topic of strange interests :sleep:

Pasi: Yeah I should have mentioned it was a analytical website and not a fansite per se. but eh

I wonder if you ever has seen a good anime-show Pasi. The thing I like about (some) anime is that they usually takes up topics that are not "popular" in the West. The animation age ghetto and the remains of the dark age of animation are to blame for this.
I can see that some of the Japanese things can get disturbing at times though, but usually that does not excuse painting the entire "genre" as horrible. Take this soul-eater halloween fmv, as an example of "good" disturbing anime things ^_^

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#25 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:59 PM

Oh yea, I've seen some of the Japanese's work at various Anime """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""art""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" forums. I think it was last year I found an actual site run by Japs dedicated to 'the art of fetishes'. It was in Japanese and everything, but... the pictures. ... It cannot be unseen. They have some weird obsession with turning Final Fantasy into a snuff film, and that's all I can say that would make sense. You know something's wrong with your fan art if it's harder to look at than the new Ren & Stempy show.

Even though some of the art is fairly disgusting at times, some of it is still really well done. You may not like the aesthetic, because that's really what we're talking about here. However, there's still a great deal of time and talent that goes into even the most disturbing, or even vile, pieces of art; hentai pictures are included because it's still a form artistic expression. Seems like you just want to denigrate anything you don't like and that's a small-minded way to think.

That being sad I'm not big on MLP but have the first 3 seasons of Sailor Moon and all of Card Captors on my computer. :p

That's because they're goddamn awesome. But if you like CCS, grab yourself some Powerpuff Girls Z. It's crazy awesome for some strange reason.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Steam

#26 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:27 PM

Oh, I'll easily admit the Japs usually always make some pretty elaborate and detailed art, even when the picture is a giant rape tentacle monster. I don't even like 90% of what is considered art in any society, even if it is done well, so there's no way I'm not gonna' rage when I see people praising hentai, or its variants.

I wonder if you ever has seen a good anime-show Pasi. The thing I like about (some) anime is that they usually takes up topics that are not "popular" in the West.

The only anime series' I've seen every episode of is Devil May Cry, Supernatural, Kirby: Right Back at Ya' and the original Pokemon + Yugioh. Those I have tolerated, but I generally am not a fan of most anime because they're just not my style. I'm a massive fan of American animation because they usually don't follow a strict plot and they focus on the comedy more. Shows like Adventure Time, Ren & Stempy (THE FIRST SERIES...), Regular Show, Secret Mountain Fort Awesome, The Simpsons, Futurama and so on are great because they don't restrict the situational possibilities and do anything for the sake of comedy. That's why I'm starting to hate Family Guy, because it's becoming a focal base series that is starting to become more serious with plot lines and dealing with sensitive situations; only watchable for the non-sense comedy it was loved for that still barely registers in each episode. Anime always has to be based on a serious plot with various forms of comic relief in it that I rarely find humorous even no matter how interesting their plots are once in awhile. I have spent time watching Dragon Ball Z, Bleach, Sailor Moon, that shipuden thing, One Piece... I just find them all the same in the sense that they have young men and women fighting monsters / demons of sorts to accomplish peace and prosperity as our heroes evolve their magics and friendships. It's no wonder anime fans love My Little Pony now that I think about it... I like my drama and gore done in different fashions. I'm Johnny America... I'm supposed to be ignorant of foreign media. I like watching a boy and his dog wreak havoc across the land only to return next week like nothing happened... that's proper animation to me.

And I'll watch those links, Duke. Just because I'm ignorant doesn't mean I don't try to be cultural and all that doo-hippy.

Edited by {IP}Pasidon, 10 November 2011 - 11:28 PM.

#27 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:11 AM

Even though some of the art is fairly disgusting at times, some of it is still really well done. You may not like the aesthetic, because that's really what we're talking about here. However, there's still a great deal of time and talent that goes into even the most disturbing, or even vile, pieces of art; hentai pictures are included because it's still a form artistic expression. Seems like you just want to denigrate anything you don't like and that's a small-minded way to think.

Yeah, the topics might be dark, crude and lewd, but the craftmanship and dedication is top notch. I believe it's also a bit like shooters and other violent video-games today: they reduce the person's aggression and acts as a placeholder. There was some research done just now which proved that sport-games cause more aggression in the players than generic blood-and-gore shooters. Also, the last comic here points out a nice trick ^_^

The only anime series' I've seen every episode of is Devil May Cry, Supernatural, Kirby: Right Back at Ya' and the original Pokemon + Yugioh. Those I have tolerated, but I generally am not a fan of most anime because they're just not my style. I'm a massive fan of American animation because they usually don't follow a strict plot and they focus on the comedy more.

Those anime seem to be in the middle of the quality zone. But I can see that if you don't like overly long plots it might be hard to get into some of these shows. South park and Simpsons and family guy/clones are 98% contained with little permanency of what happens in their episodes, and that works well for casual observers that doesn't want to get punished for not missing an episode or two.
But in the age of the internets and dvd, that is not really a good excuse.

I have spent time watching Dragon Ball Z, Bleach, Sailor Moon, that shipuden thing, One Piece... I just find them all the same in the sense that they have young men and women fighting monsters / demons of sorts to accomplish peace and prosperity as our heroes evolve their magics and friendships.

Should probably have watched DBZ, sailor moon and naruto+shippuden, but I haven't because I don't have time to get into these +100ep things that takes forever to get somewhere. I like small chunks with good stories, not 300episodes with 30% repeat from last episodes. Although fairy-tail is one of the few new shows I've cared to pay attention to because it combines the funny with heartwarming tear-jerkers. Bleach gets watched every six months once i get a batch to watch, but beyond that...

It's no wonder anime fans love My Little Pony now that I think about it... I like my drama and gore done in different fashions. I'm Johnny America... I'm supposed to be ignorant of foreign media. I like watching a boy and his dog wreak havoc across the land only to return next week like nothing happened... that's proper animation to me.

And I'll watch those links, Duke. Just because I'm ignorant doesn't mean I don't try to be cultural and all that doo-hippy.

Sounds more like a US perspective on military intervention: Give it a week and everything is okay and forgotten ^_^. But anyway, the American animations are good, Simpsons specifically imo. It just does not cover every possibility within the medium.

To make a very short list of things you might find watchable. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is the best series I've seen in years. it has a story that is planned out from start to finish, and it shows well. Be careful so you don't get the first anime though. it starts off the same, but it was done before the story was finished so they had to make up their own ending.

Studio Ghibli movies are also worth checking out, Princess Mononoke, My neighbor Totoro, Castle in the sky/Laputa are safe bets.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#28 Radspakr Wolfbane

Radspakr Wolfbane

• Members
  • 7,722 posts
  •  The Retired Beard

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:30 AM

The only anime series' I've seen every episode of is Devil May Cry, Supernatural, Kirby: Right Back at Ya

How awesome is Kirby, that show is awesome, I'm only about 25 eps in so far I've got another 75 to go I think.

#29 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts
  •  Weird Guy of the Forums

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:27 PM

On the topic of anime I have to say: I never use to watch them, my experience of them extended to Dragon ball z, pokemon, digimon, yugioh, and those other saturday morning kids shows you would watch when you were little.

But one day I watched an anime called Code Geass, and it literally blew my mind. And I want to to realise I don't use that term lightly, nothing in my life before or since would I ever even consider giving the title of 'mindblowing', but that first time watching Code Geass, THAT was it.

I guess the fact I had never really watched 'real' anime's before that played its part(though i can't remember if i was given Full metal alchemist to watch before or after Code Geass, if Geass was first then maybe it was just a 'first time exposure' reaction?), but Code Geass really was a fantastic show for me.

Anyway, if you are looking to get into something anime I personally quite enjoyed:
Code Geass, - alternate world, instead of America there's the 'Britanian Empire', and it has risen as the worlds only super power. The main character gets an ability called geass and goes about bringing down the entire empire cause they're kinda pricks. They have mechs. He's a brilliant strategist and manipulator. It is awesome.

Full Metal Alchemist - Another alternate world, this one modelled after industrial era England but with magical science (alchemy). This one is liked by alot of people so just check it out.
Personally I watched the normal 1 first, and watched Brotherhood after. Both were pretty great IMO.

Soul Eater - some people can turn into weapons(bear with it a moment!), they hunt down evil people and witches to eat their souls and become 'death weapons', the personal tools of their schools principal. Did I mention their principal is the grim reaper?
This one was really good cause every character in the main cast is highly enjoyable(every last one), even the ones who are meant to be annoying. A surprisingly rare achievement.

Deathnote - a guy finds a book, the 'deathnote'. When someone's name is written in the deathnote they die. He decides to punish criminals and 'become a god', but it soon becomes a battle of wits when the mysterious 'L' is contracted to go all Sherlock Holmes on his ass.
kinda like code geass without the mechs and alternate reality, so its all about being smart and manipulative in a brilliant way.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - the most 'anime-y' of the ones on my list. This girl(haruhi) is god and doesn't know it. Her friends are secretly a time traveller, an alien(android... whatever) and esper, and our audience surrogate Kyon is stuck in the middle of it all. It was one of the later ones I watched but it really was quite good.

(in fact... those are nearly all the animes i've actually watched... But still, you might find you like them, or you might not. The only way to know is to watch the first few episodes and see if it grabs your fancy)

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" -Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Posted Image|Posted Image
Posted Image

#30 Radspakr Wolfbane

Radspakr Wolfbane

• Members
  • 7,722 posts
  •  The Retired Beard

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:07 PM

I recommend Kekkaishi (the subbed version, the dub was horrible) it is easily one of the best Animes I've watched.

#31 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:56 PM

The fuck is this shit? No one's mentioning Trigun? No Cowboy Bebop? Heretics. If you want a truly brilliant series, watch Case Closed (aka Detective Conan). Over 500 episodes and still running strong, but it is a masterpiece of a series. If you don't want to watch that much, watch the films, which are equally brilliant and rival any Hollywood film.

Before I forget, try to find yourselves a copy of Shin Lupin III. Damn, damn good stuff.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Steam

#32 Elvenlord

Elvenlord

Polis Ranger

• Advisors
  • 3,838 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:26 PM

What Beo said. Those three are among the very few anime I'll willing watch and in the first two's cases some of favorite shows period.

elvenlordbanner.jpg

#33 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 14 November 2011 - 04:47 AM

Oh hey, I think I saw an episode of Cased Closed once. That wasn't a bad show.

The only anime series' I've seen every episode of is Devil May Cry, Supernatural, Kirby: Right Back at Ya

How awesome is Kirby, that show is awesome, I'm only about 25 eps in so far I've got another 75 to go I think.

King DeDeDe makes the show... I love how they dubbed him with a strong, obnoxious southern accent. It made me a fan of Saturday morning cartoons again.

#34 Radspakr Wolfbane

Radspakr Wolfbane

• Members
  • 7,722 posts
  •  The Retired Beard

Posted 14 November 2011 - 05:51 AM

I've been watching the undubbed version.

#35 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 15 November 2011 - 12:25 AM

I'll watch a dub over a sub unless the sub is horrifyingly bad. As is the case of Ranma 1/2. The dub was horrific.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Steam

#36 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 15 November 2011 - 01:22 AM

I've never liked undubbed stuff. All the voice actors never fail to sound the same to me. Most of Devil May Cry was undubbed, but my hard-core fanhood helped me endure it.

#37 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts
  •  Weird Guy of the Forums

Posted 15 November 2011 - 03:40 AM

I've never liked undubbed stuff. All the voice actors never fail to sound the same to me. Most of Devil May Cry was undubbed, but my hard-core fanhood helped me endure it.

Ha, I know right, they're always 1 of 4 voices:

>'annoying high pitched protagonist male' voice(voiced by woman, not always the protagonist, just most of the time)
>school girl/high pitched woman voice (usually deeper than annoying high pitched male, what's with that?)
>normal woman voice
>(kinda posh sounding) deep voiced male

I swear its always one of those XD
(unless its a really specific voice type, such as 'old crone voice')

Edited by some_weirdGuy, 15 November 2011 - 03:40 AM.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" -Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Posted Image

#38 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:41 AM

A friend of mine has an irrational aversion towards anything Japanese because of the high-pitched female voice tradition. Which I sort of can agree with him on: That high-pitched voice is actually a cultural quirk. "Women in their twenties or even thirties might use a high-pitched voice simply because it sounds cute, despite the rest of the world finding it rather weird."'[1]

Weird=somewhat pedophile I guess. I don't know about you but I prefer my women somewhat human and not some avatar of fashion: Be it cute-child fashion or sexy-airhead fashion. Probably why I like shows like Ghost in the shell and black lagoon more than those magical girl/school uniform shows.

Edited by duke_Qa, 15 November 2011 - 09:42 AM.

#39 Soul

Soul

Divine Chaos

• Project Team
  • 3,781 posts
  • Projects:Sigma Invasion
  •  This person isn't important

Posted 15 November 2011 - 03:19 PM

This thread went from ponies to anime rather quickly :p.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Soul 2.4

Background process. Has something to do with some activity going on somewhere. Sorting junkmail, I think. No value or interest. Doesn't do much except hog resource.

#40 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:26 PM

Weird=somewhat pedophile I guess. I don't know about you but I prefer my women somewhat human and not some avatar of fashion: Be it cute-child fashion or sexy-airhead fashion. Probably why I like shows like Ghost in the shell and black lagoon more than those magical girl/school uniform shows.

It's Japan. There's not much else to say.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Steam

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users