#41 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Artist

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:50 PM

Soul: Well that's pretty much given when it comes to a topic about a animated show that gathers grown up fans :sleep:

Beowulf: Yeah, I wonder how that really started. Probably some sort of regressive reaction after the surrender to the US, reducing the culture from macho-samurai over to something more manageable, juvenile and innocent. Naturally, if that is the main culture you got, you'll get people that will make it darker and edgier to say the least.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#42 Radspakr Wolfbane

Radspakr Wolfbane

The John Farnham of modding

• Members
  • 7,722 posts
  • Projects:Comeback tour
  •  The Retired Beard

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:20 PM

2 reasons the topic got derailed so quickly
1) We don't actually talk about anime that much considering being a very nerdy forum.
2) It's Revora :p

I've been watching through early Pokemon and Digimon lately.
My plan is to watch all of Pokemon available, shouldn't take me more than a year.
I'm about halfway through the first season and near the end of season 2 of Digimon.

Break dancing into the hearts of millions

#43 Speeder

Speeder

#ControlMOre

• Hosted
  • 8,998 posts
  • Projects:Mental Omega
  •  Mental Omega Creator

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:24 PM

Soul Eater - some people can turn into weapons(bear with it a moment!), they hunt down evil people and witches to eat their souls and become 'death weapons', the personal tools of their schools principal. Did I mention their principal is the grim reaper?
This one was really good cause every character in the main cast is highly enjoyable(every last one), even the ones who are meant to be annoying. A surprisingly rare achievement.

Ugh, this one got BONES'd hard. The moment they stray off the original source it goes downhill all the way to the horrible ending. So much wasted potential. I guess SE will receive FM:Brotherhood's treatment though - once they finish the manga, a new version will be produced.

COURAAAAAAAAAGE PUNCH!

mainbanner.jpg
bt_left.pngbt_fb.pngbt_yt.pngbt_tw.pngbt_md.pngbt_right.png
115776.png

#44 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts
  •  Weird Guy of the Forums

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:04 AM

Ugh, this one got BONES'd hard. The moment they stray off the original source it goes downhill all the way to the horrible ending. So much wasted potential. I guess SE will receive FM:Brotherhood's treatment though - once they finish the manga, a new version will be produced.

COURAAAAAAAAAGE PUNCH!

Yeah. Funny thing is I picked up on it before actually finding out that's what they did.
After watching the end I thought 'wow, for such a great show that ending was actually kinda crappy'*. I search it up and yeah, they made up their own ending.

But on the plus side they does seem to indicate, as you said, that we might get a full metal alchemist: brotherhood type thing happen, which I for one actually like cause it means I'll get to see new soul eater at some point, and it will even be better than what we got from this one ;)

*(to anyone interested in watching it, don't let that drive you away, rest of the series is superb, and I only really noticed it in like the last episode. There's no point where you can tell it suddenly stops being based on the manga, its just that the ending itself seems kinda silly to me)

edit: digimon was cool. I had the movie as a video when i was little. Though I must say I have no interest in all the new series' that came out later. First gen, second gen, and third gen at a real stretch. After that, meh.

((also, perhaps a mod should split this topic, so the anime discussion which has taken over has its own thread?))

Edited by some_weirdGuy, 17 November 2011 - 01:08 AM.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" -Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Posted Image|Posted Image
Posted Image

#45 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:04 AM

I could just rename the topic too "Jap Scrap Pony Trap" or "Female Empowerment Wreaks Havoc on Unsuspecting Male Youth".

This thread went from ponies to anime rather quickly :p.

The Great Chain cannot be broken. Now it's Bioshock...

#46 Romanul

Romanul

title available

• Hosted
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:22 PM

First thing I thought when looking at the title was that there was some sort of evil cancer-like disease that spreads between people and makes them grow 2 hands and a vagina, but then I realized that there were only some pony cartoons.

Dudes, hate to say it, but it's only a cartoon, and whilst I was indeed a bit against it at the beginning, I decided that they actually might be decent cartoons.

There was an earlier thread, regarding Samurai Jack (fucking awesome cartoon, period.). Why wouldn't we merge these threads and have one single "innocent cartoon" thread?

#47 Radspakr Wolfbane

Radspakr Wolfbane

The John Farnham of modding

• Members
  • 7,722 posts
  • Projects:Comeback tour
  •  The Retired Beard

Posted 18 November 2011 - 03:51 PM

The Great Chain cannot be broken. Now it's Bioshock...

Correction :p

ThisThreadGaryOak.jpg

Break dancing into the hearts of millions

#48 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 12:43 AM

never played bioshock...
But I could totally go for a gary oak thread :p

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#49 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:55 AM

This is the part where I use my mellow thumbs-up. Get on that, Gan.

Dudes, hate to say it, but it's only a cartoon, and whilst I was indeed a bit against it at the beginning, I decided that they actually might be decent cartoons.

True... decent is a good word for it... in terms for children who tend to enjoy such frivolous things. But most don't stop at such a simple rank. It's reached cult state now, so we can assume people find it superb. The target audience for My Little Pony is 8-15, female. That itself was a network label in judging the rating for the show I find fitting. The only arguments I've heard for why the show is so godly is because it's cute. I can see how adult females can find that quality irresistible, but it is being over-ran by adult males. The psychology of such a thing is blasphemous. This junk will rot your brain... we need to be hunting.

And Samurai Jack should be a cult, not Pony. They need to keep their distances.

#50 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 19 November 2011 - 11:22 PM

You're stuck in the mindset that males cannot enjoy things that are "cute." You can go ahead and cling to your 1950s idea of manhood if you want, but I'm going to enjoy Friendship Is Magic because it's a damn good cartoon. There's more to enjoy than the inherent cuteness anyhow. Either way, it doesn't matter. I'm going to enjoy them ponies and if you continue to mindlessly believe that's a problem, I feel sorry for you.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

#51 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 19 November 2011 - 11:44 PM

Posted Image

#52 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 20 November 2011 - 12:47 AM

In all seriousness, if people like you left, we'd see a nice change in society so things wouldn't suck anymore.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Steam

#53 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 20 November 2011 - 01:14 AM

Not really, no.

#54 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 20 November 2011 - 01:28 AM

You disagree? Well, the amount of bigotry and stupid bullshit would decrease severely. That would be nice change of pace.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Steam

#55 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 20 November 2011 - 02:22 AM

I debate to oppose and lean from this conforming society and you deliberate against me just because I oppose. In regards to bigotry, not I, said the buaiteir.

#56 some_weirdGuy

some_weirdGuy

title available

• Hosted
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 02:34 AM

There would be plenty of bigotry and stupidity left even without people who hold to 1950's ideals of manhood ;)

Posted Image

#57 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 20 November 2011 - 02:54 AM

It's not manhood I'm concerned about, it's conforming. Wulfy can put sprinkles on his waffles for all I care... it's the society of people praising sprinkles on waffles that bugs me. Thought it is true that I do support Dwight Eisenhower's World of Tomorrow.

#58 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 20 November 2011 - 05:54 AM

So? Why is it such a big deal that people don't give a shit that some men like colorful ponies? Someone tell me why this is a bad thing. PROTIP: There isn't a bad thing so anything you say is a lie.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Steam

#59 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 20 November 2011 - 09:23 AM

You're not really listening now. Like I said before... I don't care if people like ponies, it's that I don't like social groups; especially ones with a common agenda to make an irritating agenda and spread it all over the internet and have a certain foul attitude when other people doesn't like My Little Pony, with you as a huge example. One could say avoid, but I have fond it to never be so simple. I had the same problem with a Tim & Eric social fad a couple years ago... they think everyone tolerates their crap, so they transcend irritable garbage that never ends. The Brony social order has made me hate My Little Pony. Of all the things that the internet is creating a cult after, it's after a show created for little girls as after school entertainment. It is nothing but an irritation... trolling at it's truest definition. Ah, and if you don't believe that, then take a look at Meme base as a fine example. The Brony movement started with Seth Green as a joke, and it truly began as a form of trolling. That was soon before the show from what I remember. But some people took it seriously and started displaying their worship for the show, making the term Brony a calling and they continued the work of good trolls without realizing it. But it never stops at just being a fan... it's all ever Bronys do... make Brony related material. I was fine with it until sites like Planet Minecraft started only making Brony related work and making it impossible to sort through it all and they start requesting Brony work from me, and begin pestering me with arguments and complaints when I simply say I don't like My Little Pony. I've gotten nothing but griefing from it. But all I can do is complain... it's a fad like the rest and I just have to wait it out. But that's just my take on it, so don't consider it a debate stance anymore. I don't plan on doing any revolting here as a personal favor to you, Wulfy. You're the only Brony here, and I tend to spit at the herds rather than the individuals.

#60 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 20 November 2011 - 05:08 PM

Indeed.

People going on about these fads for the sake of the obvious irony I can reasonable bear because I could somehow fathom how that would be funny, but people tacking onto such fads and somehow making it part of their "identity", at least online, are like nails on a chalkboard to me. You, Beowulf, seem to fit into the latter category, because of the shower of expletives and rage you release when someone won't simply budge in their conviction that it's nothing more than a stupid fad. The impression you give, Beowulf, is one of eagerness to identify with things that would generally be considered as abnormal, then going out of your way to inform people of your preferences so that once they show signs of distaste, you can pester them about being close-minded individuals who should lighten up. Really, you should lighten up. So Pasidon doesn't think it's the best thing since Pokémon. Does that make him a close-minded bigot?

Nope.

So you're religiously following a cartoon about colourful ponies now. Is it necessary for you to go onto the internet and post about it? Then slam the people who think it's just another ironic, pop-reference filled show that got an internet following based on a joke? Do you need to justify your preferences?

Really.

Edited by Matias, 20 November 2011 - 05:09 PM.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users