• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Alphacpt

Alphacpt
  • Members
  • 53 posts
  • Projects:Codex Mod

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:21 PM

Hey, i've got 2 asset.dat files that I would like to merge, but i'm not sure how, i only know how to create them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
deathteam15 (Most common nickname, don't know why i'm Alphacpt on here....)

#2 JUS_SAURON

JUS_SAURON

El Shaddai

• Members
  • 1,581 posts
  • Projects: BFME2 MOD - Power Of The Ring
  •   INI Coder

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:58 PM

Hey, i've got 2 asset.dat files that I would like to merge, but i'm not sure how, i only know how to create them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Why try to merge the asset .dat ?

Get the art files ...merge those into the necc. folders
Then create a new asset.dat from the combined art files

#3 Alphacpt

Alphacpt
  • Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:13 PM

Why try to merge the asset .dat ?

Get the art files ...merge those into the necc. folders
Then create a new asset.dat from the combined art files
[/quote]

yeah I realised aha XD Anyway i'm having some more trouble if you wouldn't mind helping? I am trying to copy over a skin from one mod to another. I have copied over the DDS and W3D files to the correct locations and added them to the asset.dat file, but still the skin in game stays how it was before?

Thanks

#4 JUS_SAURON

JUS_SAURON

El Shaddai

• Members
  • 1,581 posts
  •   INI Coder

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:21 PM

The best way may be to
1 .overrride the existing skin with the SAME name as the old ( see exactly what the old is named )
OR
2. rename the skin and add its new reference in ini file of the unit

are you SURE the -mod command is set up properly ?

and get permission for the skin if you plan to a public release ... :rolleyes:

You said you've created an asset.dat before ..but have you added a new skin before ?

Search the Graphics forum for answers !

#5 Alphacpt

Alphacpt
  • Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:06 AM

The best way may be to
1 .overrride the existing skin with the SAME name as the old ( see exactly what the old is named )
OR
2. rename the skin and add its new reference in ini file of the unit

are you SURE the -mod command is set up properly ?

and get permission for the skin if you plan to a public release ... :rolleyes:

You said you've created an asset.dat before ..but have you added a new skin before ?

Search the Graphics forum for answers !

I tried overiding, but with no luck, but if you could expand on no.2?

and I didn't bother with the mod command as I assumed there would already be one as i'm already copying it into a pre-made mod folder (also I didn't fully understand it)?

And i'm not planning on a public release :)

When you say have I added a new skin before what do you mean? If you mean is this my first time adding skins, then yes, and it is also my first time adding an asset.dat (did all of it today).

As for searching the graphics forums I have, but I couldn't find anything meeting my specific needs.
Thanks

#6 JUS_SAURON

JUS_SAURON

El Shaddai

• Members
  • 1,581 posts
  •   INI Coder

Posted 12 November 2011 - 02:48 AM

Well welcome to the forum

Step 1 : learn about the -mod command and how to properly set-up the mod ..lots of tutorials ,just take the time to search the Forum

Step 2 : get all the art files set-up and into your new mod

Step 3 : add the asset.dat to your mod

Follow this post :

chaging textures

Its a bit jumbled for some reason ..too many lines / spaces

Before we begin, Please make sure you have downloaded Sy's Asset Builder [Hosted here at The3rdAge.net]After you have downloaded Sy's Asset Builder, Run the .exe and install the application.Now we can start.The first step is to create a new folder. I suggest you do this on your desktop, Create the folder and name it "art".Inside this new folder, Create two new folders. Name them "compiledtextures" and "w3d".Now, You must create a folder for each of your textures/models that starts with two different letters at the start. For example, If your textures are:rugimli.tgaguaragorn.tgaeulegolas.tgaThen each one is required to have a separate folder, For the first two letters in the textures name. So i am required to create the following,art\compiledtextures\ruart\compiledtextures\guart\compiledtextures\euThen, I place each of the textures in there assigned folder. You are also required to do the same for your w3d files. Alike:art\w3d\ruart\w3d\guart\w3d\euThen, I place my w3d files in there assigned folders. Once you have done this for all of your asset files, You can run "Sy's Asset Builder".From your desktop, You must drag your complete "art" folder in to the Asset Builders window, It will list each of the files added.You will see to options, "Appened to existing asset.dat" and "Create asset.dat from files in list only". Select "Create asset.dat from files in list only". The circle next to it will be marked with a black dot.Now, Its time to save the asset.dat. Click the "Save" button, I suggest you save it to your desktop. Make sure the "File Name:" states "asset.dat" exactly, Capitals in the name can sometimes cause problems.And, Thats it. You have created your asset successfully.Thank you,FlameGuard

If the new textures are named as the old .. then the -mod should just replace the old
So you need to check this .. i.e check the names of the old texture and the new one
As its from an existing mod I believe then the problem may be your mod set-up

Try adding just one new texture into the new asset.dat
and changing one thing like gimli's Health
This way you know that the -mod command is functional

Edited by JUS_SAURON, 12 November 2011 - 02:59 AM.

#7 Alphacpt

Alphacpt
  • Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 04:05 PM

Alright thanks, i've done all of that but it still doesn't work. I created a new file for the mod and copied over everything in the RJ mod and created a new shortcut using -mod. I then copied in the Edain uruk-hai textures and skin and made an asset.dat from the art folder. I believe the textures are working, as their armour is now darker, it is just the .skn W3D file that isn't working.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users