Need help to get started

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Berethomb

Berethomb
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:45 PM

I am completely new to modding, have never done it myself and know only a little as how to do so. But I want to learn. The problem is - where do I start? All I ask is for guidelines as to what I should learn and which modding tools I should use. Any recommendation is most welcome. Also I only want to mod ROTWK.

By the way, if anyone wonders what I want to start with when it comes to modding, I want to make it so that all ringwraiths can be built in ROTWK as HEROES at the fortress. I know it's been done in other mods, but as for now I only need to have all nine ringwraiths in my team at th same time and I think it's relatively easy to do, meaning it's a good place to start.

When I get better I hope to modify which abilities each ringwraith has. All ringwraiths should be built mounted with the Mount Steed ability and Morgul Blades (which hopefully also can be used on a horse), and at LV 3 they learn their Screech ability. However, at LV 5 they learn their Mount Dragon(?) ability, which makes them even stronger at that time. And if a ringwraith reaches LV 10, it can be "declared" as the Witch King and changes its appearance, meaning that once a ringwraith reaches LV 10 it can "evolve/ be upgraded" to the Witch King, making it een more powerful. Also, only one ringwraith should be able to become the Witch King. This is a lot of work, I know, but it's something I really want to do once I've become better at modding.

Finally I hope to modify the Create-A-Hero system. There I would want to make it so that the base cost of all custom heroes is 0 (yes, 0!), but it is only if you don't give it any stats or abilities. All heroes can increase their stats to their In-Game maximum, but for each increase their cost will go up with a certain amount, meaning that if you want to create a weak hero but which can level up and become stronger and for no cost at all, you can! I would also like to add more hero abilities to the fray.

So that's it! If anyone knows where I should start with becoming a modder myself and give me some guidelines and Q&A when it comes to modding, I would greatly appreciate it. And if anyone likes my ideas and wants to make them on their own, feel free to do so, as long as I could get a copy of the finished product later on :p .

Thanks in advance

Oh, and before I forget: The Sky has Fallen!

Edited by Berethomb, 22 November 2011 - 08:48 PM.

#2 modboy451

modboy451

A small Big-time Modder!

• Project Team
  • 783 posts
  •  Experienced INI Coder, Advanced Rigger/Binder.

Posted 23 November 2011 - 03:17 AM

Well start with the tutorials on T3A (the 3rd age) website. That's always the best place.
But I must say, a nazgul cannot mount a "dragon" without 3D modeling the dragon and may need animation along with that... Unless u made a mistake and meant "fellbeast" then yes, adding all nine and their powers are on the eaiser side. But changing the model to the witch king after is slightly more complicated. I will be happy to help you if you promise me one thing. That you will try to learn some for yourself and will work heard in learning.. If you do that then I could volunteer to be your "mentor"

John 3:16 (NIV)
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Psalm 23:1 (ESV)
A Psalm of David.
The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 Ridder Geel

Ridder Geel

Master Yelloh

• T3A Staff
  • 10,852 posts
  • Projects:RC Mod + SEE + RTS Engine
  •  The Dangerous T3A Team Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:50 AM

The3rdage.net is a good place to start as Modboy pointed out.
Also just use the search function in the forums for specific answers on questions that most likely have been asked before.
And IF you have questions which you have searched answers for, but no answer can be found, you should ask them in the Modding forums ;)

Last of all, Welcome to Revora! :D
Ridder Geel

#4 modboy451

modboy451

A small Big-time Modder!

• Project Team
  • 783 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 03:57 PM

Last of all, Welcome to Revora! :D

oh yes I forgot! Welcome!!!!!!

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

A Psalm of David.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Berethomb

Berethomb
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 05:59 PM

Thanks guys!

And yes, I meant a fell beast, not a dragon. I just forgot the name :p.

And modboy451, I promise to learn all of this on my own. There are still many things I want to modify, but I'm only going to start with removing the Ringwraith Horde in the workshops and replace them as heroes at the fortress. And when it comes to upgrading a LV 10 Ringwraith to Witch King LV 10 the basic idea was to just replace that one ringwraith with the Witch King - period.

Still, I don't know much about modding (if I know anything at all) and just wanted a hint to where to start my first steps. I will go to the T3A webside immediately, and I would very well be happy to have you as a mentor, at least before I can fly on my own, if that's okay with you.

#6 modboy451

modboy451

A small Big-time Modder!

• Project Team
  • 783 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:39 PM

And modboy451, I promise to learn all of this on my own. There are still many things I want to modify, but I'm only going to start with removing the Ringwraith Horde in the workshops and replace them as heroes at the fortress. And when it comes to upgrading a LV 10 Ringwraith to Witch King LV 10 the basic idea was to just replace that one ringwraith with the Witch King - period.

Alright I'll PM you soon. :D I can tell you this. There are multiple ways you can get a Ringwraith to change to the witch king... each with their own plus's and minus's

AND

there should be tutorials on the3rdage.net that allow you to add existing hero's to factions and then also adding new powers and such, the basic things you wanted. then the upgrading at each level i can help you with.

A Psalm of David.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 Unknown

Unknown

title available

• Hosted
  • 1,314 posts
  • Projects:Work
  •  I changed

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:15 PM

Also, if you want extra help, I'll be on MSN all day everyday (almost)
My address is:
clank234@hotmail.com

#8 modboy451

modboy451

A small Big-time Modder!

• Project Team
  • 783 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:21 PM

Also, if you want extra help, I'll be on MSN all day everyday (almost)
My address is:
clank234@hotmail.com

Unknown... did you used to be Clank? or why is your email clank234?

A Psalm of David.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 Unknown

Unknown

title available

• Hosted
  • 1,314 posts
  •  I changed

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:08 PM

I am clank :p

#10 Berethomb

Berethomb
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 10:07 PM

Oh hi Clank! I've read through your Beginners Guide (all of it) and it worked perfectly to modify the ring wriaths (that was the first and only thing I did). But just as I wrote in the commentary section, the changes that I made didn't apply! I've looked over what Ive done countless of times, but I don't get it to work properly. I think it has something to do with the -mod "X" part, but I'm not sure. Anyone have any ideas as to what I do wrong?

#11 Ridder Geel

Ridder Geel

Master Yelloh

• T3A Staff
  • 10,852 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 10:54 PM

Aha so... the student is going on to be a teacher :p I'd love to see how this turns out ;)
If you need more help, ask Unknown for my email adress (I'd rather not throw it around on the forums to prevent random people from adding me)
I tend to be online most of the time, I am usually around to give tips/hints on how to do something, not give the direct answer/code, I found out this usually allows the other person to figure out things by themselves, and learn more.

-mod MyMod.big
The mod should be located in your application data, or just enter an adress between "" instead.
Mind posting your entire target in order for us to see what is going wrong?
Ridder Geel

#12 modboy451

modboy451

A small Big-time Modder!

• Project Team
  • 783 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 11:53 PM

The mod command can be diffucult... i think Ganon made a advanced -mod command for beginners tutorial on the T3A website.

A Psalm of David.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 Unknown

Unknown

title available

• Hosted
  • 1,314 posts
  •  I changed

Posted 24 November 2011 - 07:33 AM

Unlike most modders, I have loads of time on my hands so anyone and everyone is welcome to add me on MSN, just note who you are with an e-mail :p

@Berethomb, add me on MSN and I'll go through an in-depth guide on what to do ;)
And I'll give you RG's e-mail on MSN (I will only give it to others with RG's approval)
But as RG said, I won't just give you the code, I'll show you where to look and see what you can do.
Eventually I will give you an "assessment" to see what you have learned ;)
And it's best not to read my tutorial, it's pretty worthless as it was rushed and it's pretty much unfinished.
When I find time and motivation for it, I will complete it :p
With your mod command, that tutorial was written for Bfme1 :wink_new:
Add me on MSN and I'll show you the Bfme2 way whichis so much easier :grin:

@Bart, I only learned from the best :xd:

Edited by Unknown, 24 November 2011 - 07:38 AM.

#14 Berethomb

Berethomb
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 10:48 AM

@clank234 I've added you on my msn. My name is Aron by the way.

Well, for now, I can show you what my current -mod command looks like:

"C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Lord of the Rings, The Rise of the Witch-king\lotrbfme2ep1.exe" -mod "C:\B2BB\B2BB.big"

I copied a folder of my mod (B2BB) and placed it in C: thinking that by doing this, I could fix the problem. But it didn't. So now I'm officially lost and have absolutely no idea what I've done wrong.

#15 Unknown

Unknown

title available

• Hosted
  • 1,314 posts
  •  I changed

Posted 24 November 2011 - 10:49 AM

Chat to me on MSN ;)

#16 Ridder Geel

Ridder Geel

Master Yelloh

• T3A Staff
  • 10,852 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 11:38 AM

If this happens alot, I might just make a -mod command exe, one that asks for you game's exe and the location of the mod... and then just launches the game with the mod... that way people who get started here don't get discouraged before even starting because the -mod command doesn't work for some reason.
Ridder Geel

#17 Berethomb

Berethomb
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 03:11 PM

Well Clank helped me fix the -mod thingy, but since I had windows 7 which made it more complicated, it would be wise if someone made a little 1 2 3 guide as to how to make a -mod command for each operative system, so that newcomers won't have to worry about such things.

#18 Ridder Geel

Ridder Geel

Master Yelloh

• T3A Staff
  • 10,852 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 03:48 PM

I'm working on a small loader that should work for every mod. And it will be a basic tool that will help with small things such as making an asset.dat. When its ready ill upload it to the3rdage.net, and as more things come along ill improve it.
Ridder Geel

#19 modboy451

modboy451

A small Big-time Modder!

• Project Team
  • 783 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 03:49 PM

Nice! :D alright,

(and clank... you are stealing my student :p)

A Psalm of David.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#20 modboy451

modboy451

A small Big-time Modder!

• Project Team
  • 783 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 07:38 PM

haha... I can't do IM's... but i can do PMs...

A Psalm of David.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users