Need help to get started (Copy)

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Berethomb

Berethomb
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:53 PM

This is a copy of the text I wrote in the BFME Modding Jobs, Requests and Ideas forum before finding this part. I apologize for not seeing it in the first place.

I am completely new to modding, have never done it myself and know only a little as how to do so. But I want to learn. The problem is - where do I start? All I ask is for guidelines as to what I should learn and which modding tools I should use. Any recommendation is most welcome. Also I only want to mod ROTWK.

By the way, if anyone wonders what I want to start with when it comes to modding, I want to make it so that all ringwraiths can be built in ROTWK as HEROES at the fortress. I know it's been done in other mods, but as for now I only need to have all nine ringwraiths in my team at th same time and I think it's relatively easy to do, meaning it's a good place to start.

When I get better I hope to modify which abilities each ringwraith has. All ringwraiths should be built mounted with the Mount Steed ability and Morgul Blades (which hopefully also can be used on a horse), and at LV 3 they learn their Screech ability. However, at LV 5 they learn their Mount Dragon(?) ability, which makes them even stronger at that time. And if a ringwraith reaches LV 10, it can be "declared" as the Witch King and changes its appearance, meaning that once a ringwraith reaches LV 10 it can "evolve/ be upgraded" to the Witch King, making it een more powerful. Also, only one ringwraith should be able to become the Witch King. This is a lot of work, I know, but it's something I really want to do once I've become better at modding.

Finally I hope to modify the Create-A-Hero system. There I would want to make it so that the base cost of all custom heroes is 0 (yes, 0!), but it is only if you don't give it any stats or abilities. All heroes can increase their stats to their In-Game maximum, but for each increase their cost will go up with a certain amount, meaning that if you want to create a weak hero but which can level up and become stronger and for no cost at all, you can! I would also like to add more hero abilities to the fray.

So that's it! If anyone knows where I should start with becoming a modder myself and give me some guidelines and Q&A when it comes to modding, I would greatly appreciate it. And if anyone likes my ideas and wants to make them on their own, feel free to do so, as long as I could get a copy of the finished product later on :p .

Thanks in advance

Oh, and before I forget: The Sky has Fallen!

#2 Unknown

Unknown

title available

• Hosted
  • 1,314 posts
  • Projects:Work
  •  I changed

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:13 PM

(Yay, a new modder)
Hey there and welcome to T3A :)
With your Nazgul, it's pretty easy with your abilities and getting all of them to be built (except for the Witch-King thing, more experience)
First thing is, you want to learn how to code, but there is much more you can learn.
So check here:
The 3rd Age, BFME Modding Community
Go into the Articles section and check up on coding.
Start with the beginners section (the 1 star articles)
If you still have trouble understanding then post in the Bfme2 forums ;)
I'm sure everyone will be glad to help you :)
Good luck and always remember, don't give up :p

#3 Berethomb

Berethomb
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 06:02 PM

Thanks! Everyone's so friendly at this forum! :D

Never give up, never surrender!

#4 Bashkuga

Bashkuga

Because good guys are too mainstream

• Project Team
  • 2,039 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring Betatester and Mapper, Edain Mod Betatester
  •  Out of the frying pan, and into the fire..

Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:34 PM

Thats because we are so awesome :p

Edited by Fredius, 23 November 2011 - 07:37 PM.

#5 modboy451

modboy451

A small Big-time Modder!

• Project Team
  • 783 posts
  •  Experienced INI Coder, Advanced Rigger/Binder.

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:20 PM

THough I must say... not everone is so friendly... it definetly has improved since i joined... ^_^ I've seen better friendlier places though... but I am striving to make that a better place... I may start a "adopt a newbie" thread for mentors to hep new people on the forum get around and such :D

John 3:16 (NIV)
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Psalm 23:1 (ESV)
A Psalm of David.
The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 Berethomb

Berethomb
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 10:09 PM

THough I must say... not everone is so friendly... it definetly has improved since i joined... ^_^ I've seen better friendlier places though... but I am striving to make that a better place... I may start a "adopt a newbie" thread for mentors to hep new people on the forum get around and such :D

Haha I think that would be much appreciated :D

#7 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  • Projects:It'sa secreeet
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Expert
  • Donated

Posted 23 November 2011 - 10:53 PM

Heh, sometimes it's more fun to learn through the humiliation :p

Well, more fun for the opposite party. :shiftee2:

https://www.twitch.tv/vileartist - Yes shameless self-promotion

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Old modders never die, they just fade away" ~ Hostile

#8 Ridder Geel

Ridder Geel

Master Yelloh

• T3A Staff
  • 10,852 posts
  • Projects:RC Mod + SEE + RTS Engine
  •  The Dangerous T3A Team Chamber Member
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 23 November 2011 - 10:56 PM

Adopt a newbie... Interesting... It's like adopting a little dog :lol:
Not a bad idea though. It may be worth doing. Though perhaps you should ask around if there are more people actually willing to become 'mentors'.

@Kwen, true but it can cause hostile behavior, which usually is not intended :xd:

Edited by Ridder Geel, 23 November 2011 - 10:57 PM.

Ridder Geel

#9 modboy451

modboy451

A small Big-time Modder!

• Project Team
  • 783 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 11:50 PM

yes, I joined a forum where when you join.. you get 10 people posting "welcome" comments and "let me know if you have any questions" within the first 3 days :p

and they have like everything... nobody judges you... nobody cares what you believe... and if they do it is for a friendly debate in the chat room... and everyone will offer help... when i posted a question as my status i got 5 people saying if you need any tips or pointers let me know... it is an amazing enviroment... and from that i have aspirations for this forum xD

anyway...

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

A Psalm of David.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 Ridder Geel

Ridder Geel

Master Yelloh

• T3A Staff
  • 10,852 posts
  • Projects:RC Mod + SEE + RTS Engine
  •  The Dangerous T3A Team Chamber Member
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 24 November 2011 - 12:22 AM

Well, these forums are not as active as they used to be... So that's why there are not that many "welcomes" nowadays.
Ridder Geel

#11 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Donated

Posted 24 November 2011 - 12:33 AM

I think you'll find, that just because people aren't as talkative or even friendly, does not mean they do not want to offer helpful input. ;)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#12 modboy451

modboy451

A small Big-time Modder!

• Project Team
  • 783 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 12:59 AM

Lol I agree Kwen, the forum I was talking about was a writing forum and almost everybody is willing to help with basically anything you had, even personal problems and such... Just a good enviroment there.

And yes RG it is less active now adays... But even when it was in it's prime when I joined ( unless it was more active before that) it still wasn't welcoming.

When I joined my other one, I was like dang, everyone is so nice here compared to revora." nothing against people here... But this place has some stuff to work on.

Anyway, onto the topic of the adopt a newbie. Would either of you two be willing to help out? Usualy how it works is people sign up to "adopt" one or two newbies and thn once they are used to things are good at things they "graduate" :D and then they come back to get another. I'm guessing with us, we could separate it into coding, graphics and mapping sections.

Would either of you want to help me get this kickstarted?

A Psalm of David.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 Bashkuga

Bashkuga

Because good guys are too mainstream

• Project Team
  • 2,039 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring Betatester and Mapper, Edain Mod Betatester
  •  Out of the frying pan, and into the fire..

Posted 24 November 2011 - 07:06 AM

Well not to interfere in this discussion but you could sign me up for next week friday (not earlier, because of exams) as basic mapping/scripting skill tutor :). I like this idea.

#14 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Donated

Posted 25 November 2011 - 03:56 AM

But this place has some stuff to work on.

I'm sorry but this bugs me a little.. I think the reason people come off as not being friendly around here, is that the people who know the most, generally the ones you would label as being unfriendly, have seen anything and everything new members bring to the table many countless times before.

So, upon seeing a new member they/we tend to not jump to the gun and shower the newbies with storms of confetti. If the newbie shows devotion and promise, everybody warms up to them.

I don't think Revora has anything to work on.

Oh, and this place was FAR from it's prime when you joined. The prime was about.. two to four years ago.

Please note that I'm not trying to bash you, I'm just stating things clearly in black and white (or in this case, yellow and red :p)

Edited by Kwen, 25 November 2011 - 03:57 AM.

#15 modboy451

modboy451

A small Big-time Modder!

• Project Team
  • 783 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 04:19 AM

But this place has some stuff to work on.

I'm sorry but this bugs me a little.. I think the reason people come off as not being friendly around here, is that the people who know the most, generally the ones you would label as being unfriendly, have seen anything and everything new members bring to the table many countless times before.

So, upon seeing a new member they/we tend to not jump to the gun and shower the newbies with storms of confetti. If the newbie shows devotion and promise, everybody warms up to them.

I don't think Revora has anything to work on.

Oh, and this place was FAR from it's prime when you joined. The prime was about.. two to four years ago.

Please note that I'm not trying to bash you, I'm just stating things clearly in black and white (or in this case, yellow and red :p)

Then I clearly was not here in it prime lol. Well, I still think people could tone a few things

A Psalm of David.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 Spartan184

Spartan184

:)

• Project Team
  • 1,592 posts
  • Projects:Random Modding Projects
  •  Coder, Map.ini Coder, Mapper, and Beta Tester

Posted 25 November 2011 - 06:28 AM

Modboy, you do know your on a place called the Internet right? Where everything isn't so friendly and loving. But like Kwen said all the Older members or the experienced people just like to be realistic with noobs. Which in some peoples eyes may look like its unfriendly and what not.

safsignature.png

#17 Unknown

Unknown

title available

• Hosted
  • 1,314 posts
  • Projects:Work
  •  I changed

Posted 25 November 2011 - 07:32 AM

I really think we should leave this topic :p
I can feel a conflict coming along, then that leads to grudges and then that leads to hating them.
So, I really think it's better to leave it.
We're young.
And people like Kwen, Lauri, Matias Rad etc., will know more then us as they have been on these forums since the days it was born :p

Edited by Unknown, 25 November 2011 - 07:35 AM.

#18 modboy451

modboy451

A small Big-time Modder!

• Project Team
  • 783 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 03:31 PM

yes, i know xD but there ARE places... that are better... And yes i have been that way too even when i just joined. :p to clank i think... yes i think just dropping it is the best idea ;)

A Psalm of David.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#19 Berethomb

Berethomb
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:44 PM

Hi everyone! Just wondering... I've tried to enable my Black Riders to have all their abilities at level 1, since that'll be more realistic, and I've tried many different ways to do so, but nothing works. Anyone have a direct way to do so?

Also, I'm wondering if there's a guide to change textures/skins or whatever it's called - I want to change the color of some equipments in CAH.

#20 Radspakr Wolfbane

Radspakr Wolfbane

The John Farnham of modding

• Members
  • 7,722 posts
  • Projects:Comeback tour
  •  The Retired Beard

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:59 AM

Go into the abilities section of the units code and find the StartsPaused and change the yes to no and change any StartActive to Yes.

Break dancing into the hearts of millions

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users