22 replies to this topic

#1 Clazzy

Clazzy

Karma Police

• Members
  • 239 posts
  • Projects:Novus Ordo

Posted 16 May 2004 - 02:29 PM

In 2.0 of Savage War (for those of you whole haven't heard), we'll be inserting weather effects into Savage War, now obviously I'll be replacing the weather storm to do it but that's not important.
What I need is for someone to create an animation for the rain/snow effects. To do this, the palette needs to be set in a specific way, so the rain uses the pink on the unittem palette (probably using blues, or whatever you think is best) and then on the unitsno, you'll use the whiteish colours that are where the pinks are on unittem to do the snow version.
The animation itself, I'm not really sure how to go about this so I'll leave it to your imagination to decide. If possible, 3 separate animations should be made, like the weather storm, to add variety.
So if anyone can do this, I'll be forever in your debt!
Posted Image

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking, racing around to come up behind you again... - Pink Floyd

#2 Tom

Tom

title available

• Undead
  • 8,475 posts
  • Projects:Life
  •  Co-Founder of Revora

Posted 16 May 2004 - 03:15 PM

WOW i'd love to see this effect.

#3 Clazzy

Clazzy

Karma Police

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 03:48 PM

Well I have it all perfectly planned, I can do the coding no problem, Natus is going to make maps do random weather storms (basically) and redo some original ones to do the same, and then someone will do the animation.
Posted Image

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking, racing around to come up behind you again... - Pink Floyd

#4 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

5700 vxl files & counting...

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  • Projects:D-Day
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 17 May 2004 - 08:50 AM

I'm working on a snow storm animation for D-day but I'm not using the weather storm, I'm just gona use waypoints & map triggers

Give me a better description of what you're after & I might be able edit my one to what you need

BTW your idea of using the pal files is a bit dodge, would require a lot of work to get right, your probably be better off just moding each map & changing the animation's the weather storm uses

Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Comrade Kal

Comrade Kal

Blur are better than Oasis

• Members
  • 2,491 posts
  • Projects:The revolution
  •  Terrorist

Posted 17 May 2004 - 10:16 AM

Shit, Clazzy, I had the same idea... back when I was coming up with the first ideas... I was going to release the ideas on the Monday Mod Report (and I will) there are a few more large changes, but... just to clear my name, I didn't steal the idea.
Posted Image

"To be governed is tragic, to govern is pathetic."

#6 Major_Gilbear

Major_Gilbear

God-Emperor of Dune

• Members
  • 1,745 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 10:52 AM

I'd love to see this working :D

@ Kal
AR2 has snowstorms etc, and the idea isn't all that unheard of. Just that these things require a reasonable knowledge and some effort, so most mods don't usually have them :p

#7 Comrade Kal

Comrade Kal

• Members
  • 2,491 posts
  •  Terrorist

Posted 17 May 2004 - 12:43 PM

Ah, I see. I havent played AR2 for ages, it didn't have them in there. I certainly hadn't seen it used anywhere.
Posted Image

#8 Clazzy

Clazzy

Karma Police

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 06:58 PM

I think that the palette thing should work perfectly, but you do raise a good point Mig Eater, the maps can just be modded. I just think, in the long run, it's far easier to palette dependable. All that's really needed is a simple animation of rain, the the colour which you think is best. It will be semi-transparent so it won't make a great deal of difference, I'm guessing a light blue would be best. To be honest, if you did the snow one, then I can do the palette for the rain. All that's needed is for small pixels to trudge down the screen relatively randomly and to reach the ground.
Posted Image

#9 bullethead

bullethead

Your End

• Project Team
  • 923 posts
  • Projects:none for now
  •  Someone who used to be

Posted 17 May 2004 - 08:22 PM

As I said on your site I could give a crack at this. would only take a couple minutes
Life is but a dream in someones head

Nexus lives in death

#10 Natus

Natus

i maid a telescope with my smarties toob

• Project Team
  • 2,005 posts
  • Projects:Ex mapper, GCII Fanatic and sound tech.
  •  "Go fudge yourself you smarmy overly-camp handsome barstard" - Neil Faz

Posted 17 May 2004 - 08:34 PM

This and the Season terrain stuff will mean i can make some stunning maps. I can invision a beautiful autumn scene already, rolling fields, the orange light of early evening lighting up the plains. And slowly as evening sets, a rainfall starts. An overnight drenching. Please, please, i need to make some maps with this, please, someone get this done soon, i really cant wait to initiate some maps with this.
Natus 3.4

Corrupt program now requires constant reboots and does not function at all in majority of instances. Designed with a web browser component to replace AOL, it has exceeded our expectations by being more crashy and unreliable and with worse tech support. We didn't think it was physically possible! A general product recall is advised; when it does function it seems to require background processes Girl 0.1Beta to stave off further crashes. Will someone PLEASE remove that code, and insert Backbone 1.9 in its place? That's assuming we even bother to continue this prog.

#11 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 17 May 2004 - 08:41 PM

Well feck..... Now I have to figure this out.... :D

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

#12 Clazzy

Clazzy

Karma Police

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 08:59 PM

And of course, we'll be getting nice snow effects on the snow levels. I can go to the extreme of mud being created (I think) but that would be overkill, plus the whole map would eventually turn to it.
Posted Image

#13 Comrade Kal

Comrade Kal

• Members
  • 2,491 posts
  •  Terrorist

Posted 18 May 2004 - 10:23 AM

Good.... so, how much are you planning on this affecting units?
Posted Image

#14 Allied General

Allied General

C&C Guild

• Hosted
  • 6,922 posts
  • Projects:AGSA
  •  Modder

Posted 18 May 2004 - 11:18 AM

this is gonna be a resource hogger :D
Posted Image

#15 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

5700 vxl files & counting...

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  • Projects:D-Day
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 18 May 2004 - 11:23 AM

Well considering that most ppl got new computers to play Generals it shouldn't be too laggy...

Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 Andre27

Andre27

Crazy Forum Cat

• Hosted
  • 2,595 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 12:12 PM

* Looks at P3 450 * Dang..

This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Andre 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.

Posted Image

- The mathemathical probability of God existing is 67% -

"We are the Borg. Existence as you know it is over. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Resistance is futile."

#17 Clazzy

Clazzy

Karma Police

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 12:31 PM

I'm hoping it won't use up too much system resources. If you're running a PC with at least 1GHz, it shouldn't have a problem. What I'm worried about is if someone drops a nuke on Yuri's base (while cloaked) when it's raining. The game will grind to a halt.
Posted Image

#18 Pyromeleon

Pyromeleon

The Drumming Guitarist

• Project Team
  • 315 posts
  • Projects:YR: Lightning Shift

Posted 22 May 2004 - 11:08 PM

Clazzy's last post: that would suck :?

I also had this idea before I knew you could mod the game. and I also wanted to make cloud effects taking some sunlight at random spots, and night and day effects, and have rivers that moved, and make tidal waves in the ocean. This would be awesome to see.
Okay, now if you'll back at the weather map you'll see that we don't have one. Try to picture last night's map in your mind, picture all of the little lines and rivers.
The temperature at the airport is 88 degrees which is stupid cause I don't know anyone who lives at the airport.
Tonights forecast: dark. Continued dark tonight until turning to partially light in the morning.

#19 Clazzy

Clazzy

Karma Police

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 12:09 AM

Just thinking now, moving rivers could maybe be possible, someone stop me if I'm wrong here. I think that a weather storm could be used to create water terrain, through craters. If the craters have Land=Water or whatever, it would effectively create water terrain. Tidal waves could be made using animations, but would probably look dodgy. Day/night effects work in TS and RA2, and it's probably possible to do the cloudy bits with clever building manipulation.
Posted Image

#20 Clazzy

Clazzy

Karma Police

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 03:53 PM

Bump: So, did anyone actually have a go at this?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users