• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rainmaker

rainmaker
  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:54 PM

Happy New Year!

Still hung up on the Cyber General? Me too! How can you not be, with all the possibilities of drone warfare?

So I have been messing with Insane GLA generals lately (computer AIs) and it occurred to me that they are just not very good at defending against Medusa drones. This has led me to believe that the following scenario is possible:

Cyber General (you) vs. 7 Insane Computers (all allied against you, all GLA)

Rules: you can only attack with Medusa drones and forward-built defense towers, and only use Microwave tanks for support. You may use rangers to take over oil-wells and enemy buildings, but they must act in self-defense and cannot be part of a forward thrust-attack (ok, so this is a bit of a grey area...)

Yes, you can use general powers, including calling down cyborg commandos. They can be used for attack, GLA likes to light those guys up anyway...

So what do you think, can you beat 7 AI's like this?

I tried with 3 AI's yesterday and it's a long, long game, but possible*. In the end, it was 6 Cyborg Commando's cleaning out a GLA Stealth base. At that point, it's not so much a Medusa/Microwave tank game anymore, but I had used it pretty well against the other AIs.

If it's possible or not, your statistics will be amazing in the end, like a 20:2000 lost/killed ratio.

I am going to try 5 AIs tonight and will be back.

*remember to save, because the game may crash

#2 rainmaker

rainmaker
  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:15 AM

And here is the replay, see attached file!

I played on the map "Hostile Dawn" versus 5 insane AI. This is a 90 minute game.

I stuck to my rules and only build Medusa drones and Microwave tanks. And towers, lots of towers!

In the end, I lost the command center with the last worker drone and had to give up. However, I killed one AI and pushed back another. The problem started once the demolition general got to level 3. The bomb trucks killed my towers faster than I could build them.

Nonetheless, I think if you play against 3 Stealth, 1 Demolition and 1 Poison, this game can be won, but judge for yourself...

Attached Files

#3 rainmaker

rainmaker
  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:51 AM

some in-game snapshots...

Attached Thumbnails

• sshot093.GIF
  • sshot094.GIF
  • sshot095.GIF
  • sshot096.GIF
  • sshot097.GIF

#4 rainmaker

rainmaker
  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 04:48 AM

OK, I beat the 5 insane AI on the map "Hostile Dawn". I did make one modification to the rules: you can also use the beetle mines from the barracks. As you can see, it's a long game, but actually not that exciting. However, the statistics turned out just as I thought they would, check out the screen shot. And for your reviewing pleasure, check out the attached replay.

OK, now I am bored of this strategy, time to move on...

Attached Thumbnails

• sshot098.GIF

Attached Files

#5 Creator

Creator

The cat

• Hosted
  • 3,632 posts
  • Projects:Contra

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:50 AM

So what do you think, can you beat 7 AI's like this?

Yes, of course. Medusas are overpowered. They can not be attacked by ground units and they have bonus vs AA units. In addition, AI in 007 has a flaw in target priorities. If you put your forces into correct position, AI does not attack you. So, you can defeat all GLA attack by smashing it with one Overlord even without shooting. These bugs are well known and you will not beat 7 AIs so easy in next version.

Edited by Creator, 11 January 2012 - 09:51 AM.

#6 rainmaker

rainmaker
  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 06:09 PM

Well, I wouldn't say it's all that "easy"... It is *possible*, but at least to me, it's still a very tough game.

To expand the thread, the only other way that I can beat 7 Insane AIs is with the Stealth General versus all SuperWeapons Generals AIs *).

For the most part, I find that it is impossible to beat 7 Insane AIs, which is a big step up from Zero Hour where I and you can beat them (hard AIs) in several different ways.

*)I have an interesting screen shot from that on my other computer I will add here later.

Attached Files

Edited by rainmaker, 13 January 2012 - 02:34 AM.

#7 rainmaker

rainmaker
  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:17 AM

I attached the replay to the previous post, but here are those screen shots I spoke of. This is the only way I ever beat 7 insane AIs. And it was a very carefully executed game. I was the Stealth General, and I was going up against 7 SuperWeapons Generals. Why SuperWeapons AIs? Because they don't have very effective means of detection and don't attack with large numbers of units (except for Stealth Bombers). So I was able to keep stealth while slowly building defenses, holding the AIs down to level 1 and 2 as long as possible, then go all Hazael and browse through the bases.

I know this isn't where the post started, but if anyone else has a good gambit on taking out 7 insane AIs, I am interested.

And remember: All your base are belong to us! :crazed:

Attached Thumbnails

• sshot099.GIF
  • sshot100.GIF
  • sshot103.GIF

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users