Photo

Open Maps

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Poll: Open Maps

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Would you like me to:

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

LEGO Knight of Minas Ithil

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  • Projects:Mapping this Middle-earth
  •  Mapper
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:45 AM

Who is interested in finishing off these two maps?

I will help anyone who decides to get into it. It might be a good opportunity for someone who is looking to improve their mapping skills (I know I like to learn from other's maps)

Menegroth
Fortress making...

Posted Image

Towers of Teeth
Needs another castle...

I will be redesigning this map, so hang on...
Posted Image

There might be more (if option 2 is picked).

Edited by MattTheLegoman, 18 October 2012 - 11:54 AM.

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

#2 _Haldir_

_Haldir_

Mapper

• Project Team
  • 1,203 posts
  • Projects:The Dwarf Holds, The Elven Alliance: Community Edition
  •  T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:41 AM

Is this BFME2 WB, or ROTWK? I can't say i really have the time to help you finish them off, but i wouldn't mind taking a look at them in WB out of curiosity. And like you said, to learn at how other mappers like to work :)

Posted Image Posted Image

#3 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:34 AM

I am very sorry for not saying what Worldbuilder they are. Ooops. Battle for Middle Earth II (I will write that above).

I don't really mind porting to The Rise of the Witch King for these maps.

Here is the Menengroth and Towers of Teeth on my Skydrive. (Ran out of space on the forums)

And I would love to see how you work. I consider this only as an experiment. But I am willing to make it work with you.

Choose a map and we could use windows paint to explain what we think of the map.

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

#4 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:15 AM

Okay, so now there is four maps that I can work with another person, to build up both our skills.

Angrenost Vales
You can do anything you want...
Posted Image

Minhiriath
Same here, I am not in need of any special skills - just creativity
Posted Image

So the list of 'open maps' is this:
*Angrenost Vales
*Minhiriath
*Menegroth
*Towers of Teeth
Download link so you can start mapping if you feel up to it. http://sdrv.ms/Q5Brwh
PM or post here if you want to join me in making one of these maps.

Edited by MattTheLegoman, 18 October 2012 - 11:53 AM.

#5 njm1983

njm1983

title available

• Project Team
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:22 AM

Interesting maps.. are you doing period pieces? Towers of teeth is from the black gate, but I assume this is pre Sauron take over, post Last alliance? Menegroth is obviously from beleriand. Angrenost vales looks like it should be 3 player, With back doors into each base. Intersting stuff.

#6 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:26 PM

Hi NJM, ; ) Pasidon asked me about Istari Productions, I am not up to your level of mapping, but if I can make a difference to other people then I will.

With Towers of the Teeth I was thinking of the fortified area behind the Black Gate, and possibly including the small fortress Durthang.

Angrenost Vales is one of my favorite layouts at the moment, but so is Minhiriath (the second image in my last post) because it has lots of wild mellons, which I enjoy rolling down hills.

Edited by MattTheLegoman, 14 October 2012 - 01:31 PM.

#7 njm1983

njm1983

title available

• Project Team
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:34 PM

Oh I see, The towers of teeth are just the towers on the black gate, there isnt any kind of fortress beyond them or in the surrounding area. Not that I dont like what youve done so far, Visually that map appeals to me the most.I like the color palette.

Durthang is the closest fortress, but it is similar to Cirith Ungol in that its high into the mountains and overlooks the valley of Udun (area in mordor just after the black gate), However the tower cant be reached from the valley of udun. the road leading to the tower runs south and then east to meet the main road into mordor. Ill link to a map of the area, scroll down to Durthang.

http://thainsbook.net/fortress.html

Ive always imagined a meandering roadway leading up steep cliffs, with stone bridges spanning casms on the way to the fortress itself. Atleast visually you can do it how youd like since theres no pics of the tower or fortress.

#8 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:52 AM

Thanks NJM, I really love your input. :thumbsupcool:

I will be changing the design of it to include a chasm like you have described, I will be basing it on a place I climbed last Saturday. Awesome!
But I don't have much time at the moment - I've got to help FBtG with their maps. See you later.

#9 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:55 AM

Do you like making desert maps? Send me a PM and I have a map that you can help me with. It is pretty exciting.

#10 njm1983

njm1983

title available

• Project Team
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:29 PM

Depends.... deserts present texturing challenges because of the amount of variation needed to make it interesting.... Ill shoot you a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users