Adjusting Game Speed

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hoogan

hoogan
  • Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:22 PM

I have searched the forum and found only 1 thread that discussed this issue.. from way back in 2007.

Does anyone know of a way within a Map.ini file to modify the game speed? I like to create highly scripted large maps that can have several events taking place at the same time around the map. The normal game speed is too fast to allow a player to zip to an area, obtain situational awareness of what is happening, immediately plan and execute a response and then zip to another area before being OBE'd. The units just rush around like stirred up ants and the action is over before the player has an opportunity to even view the second or third event. I works fine if all you want to do is use a wad of heroes and just watch them roam around smashing things... but that is not how things unfold in the real world. In many of the scenarios I create no heroes allowed. Period.

Modifications to gamedata.ini do not seem to be allowed so I cannot modify the 30 frames per second limit even though it is not a defined macro.

So far I have been setting the graphics so high it bogs down the computer, but as the number and complexity of the scripts goes up, this can result in glitches and skips within the scripts. Is there any other way to slow this puppy down? The game is more fun when it takes more than 2 seconds to destroy a structure and a melee goes on for more than 7 seconds. And it is not much fun for the player who spends 30 seconds handling a situation in the far East end of a map only to find out he has already lost in the West while he was distracted.

Can this be done in a "mod"? As of now, my "standard" map.ini changes for each scenario I start are up to around 8 thousand lines, and the final map.ini's come in around 12,000 lines. Should I consider moving on to full mods? How much more control over the game will that get me? Not just new powers or new units or factions, but actual changes in game play is possible in a mod over just map.ini changes?

I realize this is several questions, but I could use the advice of more experienced people here.

#2 Ridder Geel

Ridder Geel

Master Yelloh

• T3A Staff
  • 10,852 posts
  • Projects:RC Mod + SEE + RTS Engine
  •  The Dangerous T3A Team Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:19 AM

Well it allows you to change more things to the game, easier, and it applies to all the maps, unless specifically changed in a map...
You can easily change... well many things...
Too many to mention actually :xd:
Ridder Geel

#3 Rafv Nin IV

Rafv Nin IV

Vermin of Revora

• Members
  • 1,224 posts
  • Projects:RPG Frontier

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:40 AM

You could just tank all the attack power of all the units by 30 percent or so, while keeping health and defense the same. Wouldn't necessarily slow down the game, but it'd make everything die slower.

My programming skills are limited to MatLAB, so that's about all I can offer.

Also, this has got to be my first post in T3A for like two years. Hooray for nostalgia!

Posted Image

#4 Illuvatar

Illuvatar
  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:22 AM

I would suggest modding the whole game and increasing all unit attack delays, build times, etc. It would take a very long time, but it should produce the effect you're looking for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users