105 replies to this topic

#1 Fudge

Fudge

title available

• Project Team
  • 531 posts
  • Projects:Luckily AotR Mapping

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:01 PM

The map has been finally released and is available here http://www.the3rdage.net/download-1730 . There's a post further on in this thread with more details but please feel free to view the map's development from start to finish in the posts below, thanks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

27 Feb "Moria"

Okay so since yesterday I have been working on what was the somewhat easy to beat "Moria" part of the map adding the cinematics, audio and pretty much the whole Balin's Tomb sequence from the campaign.

The Beginning

It's much easier to find your way to Balin's tomb in this mini version of the moria.

sshot0002s.png

Balin's Tomb

Balin's Tomb now works Identically to the Campaign level.

sshot0003o.png

"Gandalf blasts the goblin attackers back"

sshot0007.png

"Poor boromir being punched in the face by a Troll"

sshot0008.png

The Great (Sort of) Hall

It has been squashed to fit where it needs to though the camera now rotates to allow you to see your Fellowship passing through it.

The exit is clearly marked

sshot0011.png

It's a short walk

sshot0012c.png

"Khazad dum"

Now I have done my best with this one though it's difficult due to the fact it's near impossible to create a near film looking version.

Run your fellowship down the (Really difficult to create) Khazad dum stairs.

sshot0013.png

sshot0014f.png

Gandalf will pose as a distraction while you guide the rest of the fellowship across "The bridge of Khazad dum"

sshot0015.png

sshot0017.png

sshot0018.png

Now I'm not showing you Gandalf's final standoff on the bridge (You'll have to wait) though here's a photo of the exit and the end of the Moria Sequence.

sshot0020.png

Next Update Amon Hen so If you have any suggestions please post them.

Edited by Fudge, 05 October 2013 - 06:55 PM.

#2 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  • Projects:It'sa secreeet
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Expert
  • Donated

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:11 AM

Based on the Hero Images I'm guessing this is for BFME1?

https://www.twitch.tv/vileartist - Yes shameless self-promotion

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Old modders never die, they just fade away" ~ Hostile

#3 Fudge

Fudge

title available

• Project Team
  • 531 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:24 PM

Yeah I don't play the other two.

#4 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  • Projects:It'sa secreeet
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Job:T3A Expert
  • Donated

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:34 PM

Good to know. Looking forward to it then!

https://www.twitch.tv/vileartist - Yes shameless self-promotion

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Old modders never die, they just fade away" ~ Hostile

#5 Fudge

Fudge

title available

• Project Team
  • 531 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:52 PM

Thank you :smile2ap:

#6 Guest_mattthelegomanataunidesk_*

Guest_mattthelegomanataunidesk_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:17 AM

If your going for a movie map you could make the stand of happen on the bridge, after a race with the Balrog behind you, instead of having the Balrog in front.

Also the Bridge of Kazad-dum has a void underneath it, perhaps you could use the black texture, instead of the lava. Gandalf fell into the darkness to the Foundations of Stone.

There is a piece for Durin's causeway. It is graphics intensive and I have tested it and all you will need to do is get the terrain correct for the walkable parts, impassable for the lava, and then make the terrain in the area invisible. I am editing the EA Campaign Mines of Moria map, and it is possible to create the area where the Fellowship get attacked by the Watcher in the Water and the East Gate where the Fellowship exit after Kazad-dum and have all of Moria in-between (at least the Linear version of it).

But I like the map that you have.

Great work Fudge. :thumbsuphappy:

#7 Fudge

Fudge

title available

• Project Team
  • 531 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:10 PM

I'm currently working on Amon hen though I'll make sure to go back after and see how it looks to run away from the balrog (Though I do rather like seeing Gandy protect the Fellowship as they run past).

I tried various ways of putting a black texture around the bridge but through all my attempts the outcomes looked silly and sort of spoiled the look of my cinematic, though after I'm done I'll go back and have another at it.

I've never heard of that durins causeway piece are you sure it's in BFME 1, I can't fit any watcher area outside of moria as it goes immediately to cliffs then after a short path to Amon Hen.

Thanks and I'll definitely give it ago and see how it all looks in the end.

#8 Fudge

Fudge

title available

• Project Team
  • 531 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:13 PM

Well after two days of attempts I've finally got rid of a nasty path finding error and seeing as now I feel over the moon I've decided to post a picture of The Three Hunters on the summit of Amon Hen :grin:

Posted Image

#9 Fudge

Fudge

title available

• Project Team
  • 531 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:46 PM

If all goes according to plan by tommorow there will be an Amon Hen update.

#10 Ridder Geel

Ridder Geel

Master Yelloh

• T3A Staff
  • 10,852 posts
  • Projects:RC Mod + SEE + RTS Engine
  •  The Dangerous T3A Team Chamber Member
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 04 March 2012 - 02:33 AM

Interesting... let's see what you have to show us :D
Ridder Geel

#11 Fudge

Fudge

title available

• Project Team
  • 531 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:33 PM

04 March "Amon Hen" and "The Cliffs of Moria"

Since the last update I've been working on one of my favorite levels Amon Hen, It's very close to the campaign level with a few differences. The Differences are that there are no Wargs, fewer Uruks and no Uruk hai Army(Though seeing as Amon Hen is smaller you won't notice)

"The Cliffs of Moria"

After the death of Gandalf the fellowship make a quick exit and emerge onto the Cliffs of Moria (Though I'm sure someone more knowledgeable on Tolkien maps will correct me with it's proper name).

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'll touch up the textures between Amon Hen and The Cliff Path.

Posted Image

"The Summit of Amon Hen"

Once your Fellowship reaches foot of the cliffs a cinematic will move Aragorn, Frodo and Sam to the summit of Amon Hen.

Posted Image

A company of Uruk Hai has split up the Fellowship and are now attacking Aragorn and the Hobbits.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

"Saving Legolas and Gimli"

After the the summit attackers has been fought off a cinematic shows Legolas and Gimli in quite rapidly Increasing peril.

Posted Image

Though an Elf who can fire at any angle (Even backwards) and a Dwarf who adores battle can be quite a force to beat.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Saving Boromir and the Hobbits

Once Legolas and Gimli are safe The Horn of Gondor is blown and another cinematic begins showing Boromir defending the Hobbits as they make their escape.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Uruk Hai defending a ford drive a wedge between fellowship and Boromir.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sadly they are to late and during a cinematic Boromir is overwhelmed an killed by an arrow.

Posted Image

A Fellowship driven by vengance kill lurtz and then escourt the Hobbits to the boat.

Posted Image

This marks the end of the Amon Hen sequence and this update, Hope you enjoyed it.

P.S To any knowledgeable modders, coders etc would it be possible to make the CINE Object "Hobbit Boat" follow a Waypoint Path?

Edited by Fudge, 04 March 2012 - 08:34 PM.

#12 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

LEGO Knight of Minas Ithil

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  • Projects:Mapping this Middle-earth
  •  Mapper

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:39 AM

So I guess they by-pass Lothlorien?

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

#13 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:27 AM

It's called "The Movie Map", so I guess there's not much fun to do in Lorien.

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#14 _Haldir_

_Haldir_

Mapper

• Project Team
  • 1,203 posts
  • Projects:The Dwarf Holds, The Elven Alliance: Community Edition
  •  T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:30 AM

I'd say there's only so many locations that will fit on the one map ;)

As for the boat, i assume you'd have to give it some sort of locomotor set, or atleast swap the model for something that already moves. But i'm not sure that BFME1 has any units that can travel through water. Some of the coders out there will probably know more about it than i do.

Looking good Fudge!

Posted Image Posted Image

#15 Fudge

Fudge

title available

• Project Team
  • 531 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:31 PM

No I'm afraid lothlorien had to be skipped in order to make such places as Helms deep, Minas Tirith and Isenguard seem a fair size.
Yes Hopefully some knowledgeable coder will be able to help with the boat although if it's a real palavour I'll just make Frodo and Sam will just pop out of the Map, Oh and thanks for the compliment.

Just thought I'd say that today I'm starting mapping rohan and Fangorn which begins on the across the River/Lake of Amon hen, now this area is a little boring so I might add a few Wargs or maybe Uruk hai just to make it a little more entertaining.

P.S Here's a before and after shot of Amon Hen, I've labeled it as a spoiler for people who want to play without knowing where everything is.

Spoiler

Edited by Fudge, 05 March 2012 - 12:47 PM.

#16 Ridder Geel

Ridder Geel

Master Yelloh

• T3A Staff
  • 10,852 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:41 PM

Not bad, not bad at all, looks nice :) Sadly I won't have much time to play it though... with school and all...
Ridder Geel

#17 Fudge

Fudge

title available

• Project Team
  • 531 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:56 PM

Thank you, Well you'd probably only have to sacrifice half an hour to play through it although it would take longer if you playing the multiplayer version (Somebody always dies half way through).

#18 Ridder Geel

Ridder Geel

Master Yelloh

• T3A Staff
  • 10,852 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:51 PM

Ok, I will consider installing BFME 1 again in the weekend to play this :D
Ridder Geel

#19 Radspakr Wolfbane

Radspakr Wolfbane

The John Farnham of modding

• Members
  • 7,722 posts
  • Projects:Comeback tour
  •  The Retired Beard

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:56 AM

By the way the "Cliifs" are part of the Dimrill Dale.

Break dancing into the hearts of millions

#20 Fudge

Fudge

title available

• Project Team
  • 531 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:34 PM

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users