#1 Radspakr Wolfbane

Radspakr Wolfbane

The John Farnham of modding

• Members
  • 7,722 posts
  • Projects:Comeback tour
  •  The Retired Beard

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:01 AM

You guys have probably already heard about this movement.
First watch this.

Basically the idea is to make Kony world (in)famous so that he can be brought to justice.
The first movement of it's kind I'm sure and already it's making waves over Youtube and Twitter.
It's the number one trending topic on Twitter at the moment.

Break dancing into the hearts of millions

#2 Ganon

Ganon

What's this?

• Project Team
  • 967 posts
  • Projects:My Link Mod
  •  Code Scientist

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:55 PM

They seem to be doing something right, as I had no idea who he was until I saw that vid.

I will be spreading the word, good find.

#3 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Artist

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:17 PM

Christ, saw it around 1600 today, it was around 1.7 million views, now at 2215 it was at 7.3 million. That has to be one of the most viral videos ever :smile2ap:

The movie is pretty fine, it should have had a "tl-dr" at the beginning or something, as i jumped five minutes into it to get to the point, but eh, it gets the job done. We'll see what happens now.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#4 Radspakr Wolfbane

Radspakr Wolfbane

• Members
  • 7,722 posts
  •  The Retired Beard

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:33 PM

There has been a lot of criticism and backlash about the movement.
The organisation it's self has been accused of not forwarding all of the money donated directly into it but that happens with all charities plane trips and supplies and promotions cost money.
Another criticism has been that they are endorsing a direct military intervention in a situation where that might do more harm than good.
After all this is a Child-Army and there's no doubt if it comes to it he'll use them as shields.
Also there's the problem with breaking the cycle, Child armies and horrendous attacks are not the sole domain of Kony.
The Uganda army has been accused of Raping, Murder and do forth, the Uganda army of course being the target for funding and US training.
The problem has more or less moved into other countries so it would be the Uganda army marching into other countries to find him which could start a whole another shit storm.

I believe in this movement, I believe it is just in it's intentions but this isn't a simple matter of just finding and arresting Kony.
It took years to find Osama and he didn't have an army to fight for him.
Then just like Al Qaeda​ there's probably a hierarchy in his army and someone will likely take over from him.
Kony has an estimated 42 children which just goes to make things more difficult.

The last and most important issue at least in the short term is the nature of the Internet never spending a week on one thing.
The message will likely get diluted the viral nature will work against it (already starting to) and apathy will likely set in.
Somehow this movement must keep public focus for as long as possible at least until everything is on track.

#5 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:12 PM

Thought they mentioned that in the video, that this has to happen quickly or it will be forgotten. The fact is that there is no easy way to stop this guy, since as you mention he has children and probably officers ready to claim the throne. The only way to stop this guy would be to surround the army and arrest them all: take out the bad seeds and make a camp for the victims. Also, that video was probably not cheap, but I heavily suspect it paid back.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#6 Radspakr Wolfbane

Radspakr Wolfbane

• Members
  • 7,722 posts
  •  The Retired Beard

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:01 PM

This was posted on Invisible Children's tumblr account in answer to some of the concerns.
http://invisible.tum...d-doing-further

#7 Elvenlord

Elvenlord

Polis Ranger

• Advisors
  • 3,838 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:48 PM

Yeah this isn't going anywhere. The Invisible Children thing has been doing this since at least 2006.

elvenlordbanner.jpg

#8 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:14 PM

Might just give up and slave on I guess.

38 million hits within 3 days, I'd say that is a result that will be noticed. For me this isn't as much about the Kony guy either, but that the internet can be actively used to shine light upon dark things. This is a much more effective way of changing the world than crawling along with no purpose like most of us do.

Edited by duke_Qa, 08 March 2012 - 10:14 PM.

#9 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:28 PM

Ah Joseph Kony. This shit is a bit of a scam.

http://craftkevin.co...him-his-troops/

Watch that and say he's as bad as everyone thinks. Hard to tell.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

#10 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:50 PM

I rather see him get tried for it anyway than let him go because "someone else did x too". It's the sort of logic that lets bankers get away from jailtime and retribution. "Oh he's not the only one, we shouldn't punish him because there are others like him that won't get punished".

Nah, say "fuck yeah, arrest them all, start somewhere and make a point out of it". That seems to be the logic of our leaders when it comes to hackers and pirates, so why can't we demand the same logic for war criminals and monsters?

#11 Elvenlord

Elvenlord

Polis Ranger

• Advisors
  • 3,838 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:25 PM

Because it's half a world away. What exactly are we to do? Send military force? Obama sent 100 soldiers and is getting criticized everywhere. I mean, think about. Oh look, more Americans to come 'fix' the world. More white people interfering in Africa. I'm sure that'll go over well.

elvenlordbanner.jpg

#12 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:05 PM

Mm, and then people don't do anything they go "Oh, Africa is in trouble and nobody wants to help them out!" You can't win either way.

Besides "white man interfereing in Africa" was more about colonizing and imperialism. If they manage to stop this guy because of this event, I don't see how that would equal imperialism.
And if you want to criticize such behavior, check out the privatization land-grabbing being done by Chinese, western and other wealthy nations, buying out land from poor farmers which they kick out, saving the land for a rainy day.

#13 Elvenlord

Elvenlord

Polis Ranger

• Advisors
  • 3,838 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:12 PM

Exactly. We're going to lose either way, so we might as well stay home and concentrate at our growing problems at home instead of looking for them half a world away. If we were better off I would be more supportive, but we've already had two wars in the last decade, stretching both our manpower and war-chests.

It will still be seen as such. Like I said, there is already criticism of Obama sending a mere 100 soldiers, such as some of the people of Uganada claiming it's simply to secure new-found oil.
What makes you think I don't criticize that?

elvenlordbanner.jpg

#14 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:37 PM

I try my best to stop criticizing and start to encourage positive behavior instead. That's pretty much how this video went viral after all.

If it was "Ahmadinejad 2012" made by some crazies looking for a war on Iran, I doubt they'd be able to whip up the same positive vibe.

100 soldiers/teachers in uniform with little or no weapons on a public mission between the US and Ugande, not exactly revolutionary numbers. Better than 50 000 PMC's in Iraq doing the jobs normal soldiers aren't allowed to do, or 20 black-ops Rambos running around killing everyone in their path.

#15 Radspakr Wolfbane

Radspakr Wolfbane

• Members
  • 7,722 posts
  •  The Retired Beard

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:56 AM

I hope that the focus will last as long as it takes to catch him and hopefully long enough to address more issues in Africa like Dafur.
There are a lot of long term issues that will have to be resolved if most African countries are to be safe for their people.
Kony is just one piece of the puzzle.

I'm in favour of more intervention in Africa not so much direct military but more support and education.
But that will take a lot of resources to accomplish and I fear that it won't happen.
Kony will be captured and the rest of the world will think alls right.

#16 ianadoremos

ianadoremos
  • Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:58 AM

There is now like 60 million views in this video, for five days!

Edited by ianadoremos, 10 March 2012 - 01:58 AM.

#17 Ganon

Ganon

What's this?

• Project Team
  • 967 posts
  • Projects:My Link Mod
  •  Code Scientist

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:28 PM

There has been a lot of talk about the legitimacy of the charity organization.
I don't think it really matters, actually.

Support the cause not the company. ;)

#18 Rob38

Rob38

Believer of Hope

• Hosted
  • 3,567 posts
  • Projects:Helm's Deep Last Hope
  •  One who is not afraid of new challenges

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:19 PM

It will still be seen as such. Like I said, there is already criticism of Obama sending a mere 100 soldiers, such as some of the people of Uganada claiming it's simply to secure new-found oil.

World peace could be achieved and people will still find something to critiicize. Just because there is critisism does not mean we should shy away from it.

signature_group1.gif

16821.png

#19 ReallyFat

ReallyFat

title available

• Project Team
  • 352 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:43 AM

Dude, they found oil in Uganda, that's why they're going there. 26 freakin' years, no one stopped him, and now randomly the start. after oil.

It took years to find Osama and he didn't have an army to fight for him.
Then just like Al Qaeda​ there's probably a hierarchy in his army and someone will likely take over from him.

Don't tell me you beleive that shit?

signature.png

#20 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:50 PM

Um... triple posting is usually only helpful if you have something productive to post.

And since we're on the topic again... I'm glad this Kony crap didn't pick up. It annoyed Pasidon. ... It didn't pick up, did it?

Edited by {IP}Pasidon, 04 April 2012 - 04:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users