#61 DIGI_Byte

DIGI_Byte

Unitologist

• Hosted
  • 1,747 posts
  • Projects:GTFO
  •  Everybody do the Flop!

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:42 AM

Yes, that's the shader there. Strumpy shader.

Now, the CATCH, is you don't actually make shaders in a node system, shaders need to be compiled.
now the guy who was working on it, was trying to implement a live preview, but its not working.

so you have to compile it to test/preview

still, its an amazing tool for making your own shaders, BUT another issue is you work from the ground up, meaning you have to create nodes on how it composites and renders.

Lyon-Fixed.gif
RIP 2323

#62 Nertea

Nertea

...lo sa raptor!

• Hosted
  • 3,349 posts
  • Projects:Star Villains and Space heroes, The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME/Unity

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:48 PM

I don't really like solutions like GameMaker. If you had a short deadline or similar I can see the utility, but I am not particularly good at programming, so I prefer to try and learn these things myself (my current project has gone through about 10 iterations of camera script right now :p ).

sig.png
I really don't do requests and my Arnor Soldier is not fit for BFME. Don't ask me for either.

#63 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Artist

Posted 20 May 2012 - 03:38 PM

Iterations are good, they are the polish that constantly improves upon something. The fewer iterations the less polished the product gets, no exceptions. But yeah, GameMaker and the likes are probably awesome for early prototyping, but not for optimized code.

Hmm, I like the sound of that tool even more then. Might be a bit challenging, but if the tool is very customizable, t should be possible to get just the wanted result.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#64 DIGI_Byte

DIGI_Byte

Unitologist

• Hosted
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 03:42 PM

its more then simple prototyping. its a state manager and can work with other scripts and variables etc.
in fact, download it and try it, im not sure if this will work, but hey...
Link

Lyon-Fixed.gif
RIP 2323

#65 DIGI_Byte

DIGI_Byte

Unitologist

• Hosted
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 03:53 PM

Posted Image

Lyon-Fixed.gif
RIP 2323

#66 DIGI_Byte

DIGI_Byte

Unitologist

• Hosted
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:49 PM

Working out Mave by pen and paper and explaining the process of making a large scale space game

Part #1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoncJU7AKt0
youtube.com/watch?v=PoncJU7AKt0
Part #2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYQhSrJ9xY8
youtube.com/watch?v=iYQhSrJ9xY8

Edited by DIGI_Byte, 05 June 2012 - 02:14 AM.
: Links... ( [media] tag with full url works)

Lyon-Fixed.gif
RIP 2323

#67 DIGI_Byte

DIGI_Byte

Unitologist

• Hosted
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:21 PM

So I'm trying to dynamically add "warp" locations in the game by using Game objects as the transform and searching for them with a script attached called WarpProperties or something similar which would hold variables such as the name (string), size (int), type (planet, wormhole, stargate)

Now, the first thing i need to do is on awake, call a function manualUpdate to flush/clear array and generate a new the list

then using a modified script below, generate buttons that pull data from the properties and arrange them in the array by distance from the skybox camera

now to finish it off, i need to somehow cache the transforms and other properties when they are clicked, then when a 'warp' button is pressed. the ship goes though some alignment stuff and warps

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now before i post the script, the purpose of this post, is to get advice or ideas on how Arrays work and what does [i++] mean etc and are they variables i can reuse?
and then finally, how can i take what i have below and meet my desired effect?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

var warpArray : Warps [];
var buttonStartX = 10;
var buttonStartY = 10;
var buttonWidth  = 100;
var buttonHeight = 20;

function Awake()
{
//var warpProperties = FindObjectsOfType(Properties);
}

function OnGUI()
{
  /* print a button for each warp in warpArray */
  for ( var i = 0; i < warpArray.length; i ++ ) {
	/* if a warp's button gets clicked, he will go bezerk */
	if ( GUI.Button(getButtonRect(i), warpArray[i].name) ) {
	  warpArray[i].goBezerk();
	}
  }
}

/* function to help arrange a list of buttons vertically */
function getButtonRect ( theOffset )
{
  var yPos = buttonStartY + theOffset * buttonHeight;
  return Rect(buttonStartX, yPos, buttonWidth, buttonHeight);
}
/*
* Definition of warp class
* In this code a warp object has a Transform associated with it.
* This script will allow you to create an array of warp in the
* Inspector.  You could drag a Transform (or some other object
* type after changing the code) onto each warp object.
*/
class warp
{
  var name : String;
  var myTransform : Transform;
  function goBezerk ()
  {
	Debug.Log("My name is " + name + " and I am a Warp Location");
  }
}

code is in JAVA, however I'm interested in translating it into C#
expanding on this I would ideally like icons floating in camera relative to the same buttons and if either of them is clicked, they both would highlighted
but that may be to much to ask at this stage

Edited by DIGI_Byte, 17 June 2012 - 05:32 PM.

Lyon-Fixed.gif
RIP 2323

#68 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:26 AM

Damn, just lost my reply. Why doesn't this text editor save the text I wonder. Oh well.

Now before i post the script, the purpose of this post, is to get advice or ideas on how Arrays work and what does [i++] mean etc and are they variables i can reuse?
and then finally, how can i take what i have below and meet my desired effect?

[i++] equals [i = i + 1], common shorthand method, i-- also works, i+=1 is another one. i=j=y=1 would set i,j and y to 1. I also think common extra function to for loop includes [++i] / [--i], which adds to the iteration before the for-loop gets executed.

Generic hints about arrays, array[i] equals the object in that position of the array. [i] usually goes from 0 to whatever length you've found the array to be(though that is up to you). array.length usually returns the length in 1-x instead of 0-x, so if you try to see whats in array[array.length] you will get an null reference error, but array[(array.length) - 1] gives you the last item.
First item is in array[0]. array.push(new item) adds a new item at the end of the array. Many other tricks with arrays around, but I rarely use anything but push.

Basic example.
String array[] = {"item1","item2","item3","item4","item5","item6","item7","item8"};
for(int i = 0; i<(array.length);i++)
{
String firstToLast = array[i];
String lastToFirst = array[((array.length)-1-i)];

lastToFirstArray.push(lastToFirst); //reverse the array into another array

if(i % 2 == 0)  evenArray.push(array[i]); //also adds array[0] as an "even", add (&& i != 0) to both if and else to ignore that. Also, since the iterator of the array starts at zero instead of one, you might end up with logical "problems" if you have items defined by their names like above, where this even-sorted array will print "item1, item3, item5, item7" even though its printing the [0],[2],[4],[6] items of the original array.
else oddArray.push(array[i]);
}

Got to get back to work, so if there's something you wonder about that i didn't get into please do ask. Also, saw parts of your first explanation-video a while back, but I didn't get started on the second one. I still like text and images better than videos :)

Edited by duke_Qa, 20 June 2012 - 09:26 AM.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#69 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:38 AM

Also, now that I've tried using them in a c# environment, c# arrays are different than JS/AS3 arrays I'm used to. They are less dynamic as you have to define their size as you create them, and there's no Add/Remove/RemoveAt methods included with them.

This article is extremely good for explaining the options you have on the different arrays in unity. And now that system.Collections.Generic can be used in IOS and android, you can also use Lists and Dictionaries as well with no consequences. Lists are closer to what I consider arrays... Dictionaries are supposedly even faster and more effective, but require a bit more work.

Basic usage of lists

Removing elements in a list

Edited by duke_Qa, 21 June 2012 - 11:56 AM.

#70 DIGI_Byte

DIGI_Byte

Unitologist

• Hosted
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:01 PM

I got it working with a help from a good friend, he explained it by showing the bare bones approach

Anyway, i'm going to update some information

Factions
The Imperial Alliance
The Empire is a collective of humans who venture forth into exploration and military endeavors, controlling most of the known space they offer aid and support to the outer rims in return for mining rights

Outer Rim Rebels
The outer Rims are home too members of the Dominion Empire as purely a mining class of civilization. while working on the mines for the dominion they arnt compensated enough to compensate for the planetary damages the mining does to the planets, living in minimum wage, the outer rims have no choice but to work in the mines as they are paid in rations

Pirates and Mercenaries
Pilots and ruffians from both the Rebels and Dominion who live lives away from the conflict but have to scavenge or hunt for supplies, often praying on Dominion supply convoys to the Outer Rims, sometimes siding with the rebellion as many of them called the outer rims home

Wraiths
(Prorelabor belua)
Living in the wormhole, this hermit race see's itself above petty squabbles of other life forms and prefers to sat inside their alternate reality inside a slip space. Working on their technology in peace, they often keep their military on edge to keep their space from being discovered.

Technology
Engines
Ionized fission - Standard repulsion technology
fusion - Military grade repulsion technology
Anti-matter - Dominions finest in Galactic travel
Dark Matter - Dark energy matrix (Alien technology)

Weapons
Plasma Beams - Heat Damage
Photon Lasers - Energy Damage
Missiles/Torps - Explosive Damage
Rail/Gatling Guns - Kinetic Damage

Grav Generators - Gravity Damage

Void ray - Void Damage

Ship Classes

Shuttle - Basic ship used for fast travel and escape pods
Frigate - Standard combat ship used by many for general purposes

Destroyer - Slightly larger and used for Support, sometimes used for small corporations haul hauling and salvaging

Cruiser - Standard ship in any military force or squadron, sometimes used as Police guard at jump gates
Battle Cruiser- Larger and more deadlier then the standard cruiser, its mainly used by captains and leaders in groups

Battleship - The lead ship in a combat fleet, often commanded by a general or leader of a group
Dreadnought - The flag ship of any fleet, Often crewed by 6 - 10 commanders, this class of ship is pure destruction

Jump Gates
Standard Gateway that allows pilots and fleets to jump from one system to another at its respective linked gate

Slip Gates

Slip gates are smugglers dream, instead of Jump gates that use each others location as a beacon, a slip gate is a one way gate that targets a satellite beacon

feel free to post comments, ideas and suggestions or just throw questions on things I've missed or need to get down.

Edited by DIGI_Byte, 30 June 2012 - 02:18 AM.

Lyon-Fixed.gif
RIP 2323

#71 DIGI_Byte

DIGI_Byte

Unitologist

• Hosted
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:25 PM

We are looking for aspiring concept artist

Want to try soemthing different?
Cant draw concepts you say?

The have a go at this

MAVE, is looking for concept artists to contribute concepts, sketches and ideas too its development
all work must be your own and not owned by someone else

now you must be thinking, "I cant do concept art, its too hard" well, not in this case
Concept art we're looking for is more about form and shape, and our artists, myself and Slipknot, will do our best to render it in 3D

a few examples of what is ideal, we're aware that not everyone is an amazing artist so simple scribbles on napkins are just as good, aslong as your conveying your idea across, you're welcome to post it

Example 1 Example 2 Example 3

Example 4 Example 5

If you have any interest of Sci-fi or space, this would be an opportunity not to miss, as your very ideas may come to life.

In return for submitting concepts, you would get beta testing copies, and for those dedicated contributors would get a free copy of the game on release
so feel free too submit anything from sketches on paper to black scribble in ms paint

Rules:
  • Concepts must be submitted to this thread
  • Designs must be a spaceship
  • Designs must be your own
  • Any level of drawing is acceptable
Conditions:
Once your design is submitted and accepted, it will be developed in 3D, your name will be recorded in the credits, and will be contacted when a beta version, All Concept and artwork, 3D models included are copyright their respective creators

Resources and Reference material:
Here is a great read about spaceship design LINK

Due to the nature of shapeships being sci-fi fantasy and many styles of designing spaceships its important to point a direction we're after in the design or themed style.
Eve Online is a perfect example of ideas, concepts and inspirations for factions and design towards a feel or 'theme'
Using EVE online as a lead by example and the faction listed above in the previous post,

The Imperial Alliance Eve Caldari theme
Ref #01
Ref #02
Ref #03
Ref #04

Outer Rim Rebels & Pirates and Mercenaries Eve Minmatar theme
Ref #01
Ref #02
Ref #03
Ref #04
Ref #05

Special purpose Ships: Eve Gallente theme
Ref #01
Ref #02

External EVE Online ship viewer: LINK
not all ships are on the list, but it should be enough to inspire those who need ideas

and Most important, have fun and don't be afraid too put ideas forward

-DIGI

Edited by DIGI_Byte, 06 July 2012 - 08:55 PM.

Lyon-Fixed.gif
RIP 2323

#72 Gen.Kenobi

Gen.Kenobi

I'm a doc, not an...

• Undead
  • 1,429 posts
  • Projects:Survive Med School
  •  Your Doc
  • Job:Hosting Admin

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:39 PM

Damn... I can't believe I lost this thread...

Is MAVE still up and running?

kudos to Pasidon for this awesome avvy and siggy!

#73 DIGI_Byte

DIGI_Byte

Unitologist

• Hosted
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:34 PM

not at the moment, I found some problems in the "warp" system that I have no idea how to get around

well thats not true, I'm sure i would be able to work around it some way, but the problem is "distance" when being calculated at small distances gave me an odd number such as -1.1231335e-3f
and i couldn't find a way around that to convert it into a usable distance and that kind of ruined the whole coding ball of motivation

Lyon-Fixed.gif
RIP 2323

#74 Nertea

Nertea

...lo sa raptor!

• Hosted
  • 3,349 posts
  • Projects:Star Villains and Space heroes, The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME/Unity

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:16 PM

That's just 1.12x10^-3, aka 0.0012... so yes, just a very small distance, not exactly weird. When comparing floats in unity it's best to use Mathf.Approximately instead of equals due to floating point precision. If you were getting small numbers, it's probably because you were below effective precision.

sig.png
I really don't do requests and my Arnor Soldier is not fit for BFME. Don't ask me for either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users