• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:45 PM

http://www.gamespot....ed-plot-6372179

So yea... What!? Some village pantry author who wrote a book called Link in 2002 is suing Ubisoft for stealing his intellectual property... right. 10 years later after Ubisoft has successfully run this plot sky-high, John Beswegner, probably the most despised author this week, finally decided to put the law into effect and sue for 5 million to pay for the damages done. The question is... does the plot of Link cover everything Ubisoft has done or are there too few connections to the two stories? Regardless... the book doesn't appear to be popular at all, so the chances are slim.

What I can say is that John Beiswegner may be picking his career into a grave for this. If we learned anything, you don't sue a franchise popular to lots of people. Especially for reasons like this.

#2 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  • Projects:Red-Resurrection
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:16 PM

Well Assassin's Creed is a lot like other stuff (Matrix being an obvious example) and plenty of recent movies are also a lot like Creed. Plus the Ayreon albums feature the "Dream Sequencer" which allows the user to access genetic memory (each track on the album is his experience as a previous generation) and that was released in 2000.

Don't think he'll get anywhere.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#3 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Artist

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:43 AM

Sounds like a typical typical "sue for PR" moment. Should have been a law against that too, but usually the cost of a court-case should be punishment enough.

But, it might still be cheaper than the marketing cost, so who knows. Still, people really should consider if their work is famous enough and original enough to be protected by copyrights.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#4 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:29 PM

Cheaper than marketing? Suing popular franchises is a marketing that you could potentially get paid for. But seriously... when does a large suit every win? Bethesda Vs. Mojang dropped... OJ Vs. California dropped... Good for him? No... no... his career is over now. Assassin's Creed has so many loyal fans, he's making more enemies than customers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users