#1 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Artist

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:28 PM

I couldn't see that we had a thread for stuff like this, and if I did I don't mind starting another :)

Add the stuff that makes you all warm and fuzzy on the inside, and hopefully with a bit of a deeper meaning than nyan-cat and ponies. I thought deep thought was the best spot for it since I want some thought provoking and motivational things in here, but at the same time some artistic drama doesn't hurt.

I'll add a few things, I'll start with some Charlie Chaplin. You might have seen these already, but I can loop these for hours without getting tired of them. for a movie made before the outbreak of ww2, it still is relevant today.

Another version with Inception music, fits pretty well too.

Sagan series have been inspirational for me, and I can't see that they've been posted here before, so I'll just post a few of them here as well.

Also, Neil deGrasse Tyson has some good quotes too.

Thats the ones I could think of right now, I hope you guys know of some too.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#2 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:54 PM

I may have ranted... maybe... might be cruel of me to dismiss the point of your topic, Dukie. All I'll say is that the validity of these videos is appropriate, but I see contradiction. It is flashing images of the natural world and the evil looking mechanical world when you have Chaplin saying the technological future is the key to happiness and the next video saying your key to happiness is by exploring your natural roots and environment. Well should I be seeing promise in flame spewing oil drills or blossoming flowers? Guhuhuhhhhh... the horror, the horror....

Edited by {IP}Pasidon, 20 April 2012 - 12:56 AM.

#3 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:27 AM

Well as I said, his words are just as relevant today. The machines of greed are growing larger, but so have the machines of hope.

Machines have also given us so much more than horrors. As he says, the aeroplane and radio brought us closer together. Since then we've gotten the internet.

I don't mind some discussions about the different videos, they are supposed to be thought provoking. I want the heartwarming and feelgood movies, but its not important that the discussions are heartwarming and feelgood.
I somehow doubt the denizens of this forum would be able to keep such a discussion going :p

Edited by duke_Qa, 20 April 2012 - 07:27 AM.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#4 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:44 PM

Wellll... I would like to contribute to the video party, but words like 'inspiration' and 'humanity' sicken me, so I doubt my contributions would be very keen. Erm... I may have some cool engineering videos you may enjoy...

#5 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:10 PM

You should try a dose once, it usually does you good. Also makes you more attractive to the ladies :thumbsupxd:

Cynicism is something I can be pretty good at, but I've come to realize that its barely anything more than rationalizing and externalizing your own lot in life. Cynicism is also very easily used by those in power to keep you bending over for whatever they tell you, government, corporations, "friends" and social circles.

Complaining about life is easy, doing something to improve it is harder. I'd rather get angry if backstabbed and exhilarated if in luck, than constantly cynical and apathetic to avoid the highs and lows. If you get angry when there's cause to be angry, people take note and you get some steam out of the system. if you are lucky about something you get to enjoy it that much more, than if you are looking for the speck that mar your victory.

Anyway, here's a small movie about creativity and ideas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users