LEGO Knight of Minas Ithil

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  • Projects:Mapping this Middle-earth
  •  Mapper
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:45 PM

I just though that I better get this map up.

I know that some people... @future4 in http://forums.revora...post__p__885572
needed some help with mapping, so I will put up this semi-unfinished map (it will be polished off soon enough, only needs some more mapping, minimap, artwork, and well I think it needs a lot more done).

However it does have some great work in my opinion on:
Sea to River
Cliffs
Reasons not to use the Castle Elevator.

So I will give this map to Revora under no licence from me, but please tell me if you want to use it in a mod or change it or something.

Cair Paravel

Posted Image

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

#2 Bofur

Bofur

The Bolicious One

• Hosted
  • 1,766 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Firstborn
  •  The Bolicious T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:16 PM

Just wondering, where are the starting places?

left64_by_obsidianlake-d5ruayp.pngAotF.pngright64_by_obsidianlake-d5ruf44.png

#3 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:37 PM

I forgot to say, the link above the picture is a download for the map on my Skydrive.

Its two players, and I put the stating positions where they fitted. Download and view/play the map to find out!

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

#4 Bofur

Bofur

The Bolicious One

• Hosted
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:57 PM

Some great mapping there MtL, top marks on the texturing.
But is there a way to stop the cliffs looking bad when you havent explored there, as they make it look unblended around the edges.

#5 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 13 May 2012 - 01:23 AM

The what... Oh that's right, I haven't even played it yet. My bad, I will see if I can fix it.

Well I took a few screenshot of it. We can put that under the reasons why we shouldn't use Castle Elevators, silly me.

Thanks Bofur. :)

Screenshot (using RJ-mod) of elevators
Posted Image
After the player has viewed them they are in the correct position, but the player can only use the first level without fuss. A CAH named Internet Troll has been placed on the beach with a transport.
Posted Image
Awesome shot of some corsair boats.
Posted Image

Edited by MattTheLegoman, 13 May 2012 - 01:44 AM.

#6 Bofur

Bofur

The Bolicious One

• Hosted
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:18 AM

Thanks for your efforts MtL.
Would you mind if I included this map in FB2G, along with maybe menegroth and the towers of the teeth when ive got round to completing them ?

#7 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:38 AM

This is Cair Paravel, from the Chronicles of Narnia (I don't think that really fits with being in your mod as your game is from the book). But go ahead.

Problem with Menegroth and Towers of the Teeth is that they are incomplete and I do not know the direction I want to take for them. So feel free to check my Skydrive (I still don't know if you need Skydrive to download them or what). I have all three maps here.

https://skydrive.liv...!139&parid=root

P.S. Cair Paravel I will fix and finish off by myself, off course once I am finished you can think of a location in Middle Earth that it could be, and fix it accordingly. Menegroth & Towers of the Teeth I would prefer to co-work with someone, to improve my skills and improve theirs.

Edited by MattTheLegoman, 13 May 2012 - 08:42 AM.

#8 Bofur

Bofur

The Bolicious One

• Hosted
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:54 AM

I think somewhere elvish for cair paravel, perhaps forlond or harlond?
And if you'd want to co-work with me on Menegroth & Towers of the Teeth then i'd always say yes because i always want to improve.
I've sent you an e-mail btw,
Thanks,
~Bofur01

Edit: couldnt cair paravel be Galfalas at the bottom right of this map of Forlindon?
Posted Image

Edited by Bofur01, 13 May 2012 - 09:40 AM.

#9 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:40 AM

What with Dancing Lawn and Glasswater Cove :)

Continuing on with How to improve your own maps.
Here are some examples of points of interest from Cair Paravel. Ideally you would have points of interest central on your map.
Silly - I wonder who decided to organise those leaves?
Posted Image
Random Fact of Nature - It is well known that the tallest object will get hit by lightning during a storm. I often find massive trees while walking in the bush in Australia. They are from an age past and are giants, or at least were, they are now grey and leafless.
Posted Image
Personal - I had a picnic here once, really. And we swung off the log into the cold pool below.
Always in my maps I have somewhere I connect to, and can recall. For example, when I was asked to make the terrain of City of the Dead better I made it so it reminded me of caving in Eneabba.
Posted Image

Finally, and this is to do with places based on real life or movies or artworks, get it as close to the original as allowed.
This type of Point of Interest wasn't possible for Cair Paravel, sorry.

But I hope this helps.

Edited by MattTheLegoman, 13 May 2012 - 10:48 AM.

#10 Bofur

Bofur

The Bolicious One

• Hosted
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:48 AM

Thanks for the advice, it's going to be really useful, and i'm very grateful.
And have you reached a decision on this yet?

And if you'd want to co-work with me on Menegroth & Towers of the Teeth then i'd always say yes because i always want to improve.

Edited by Bofur01, 13 May 2012 - 10:48 AM.

#11 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:10 AM

Yes I will work with you for Menegroth and Towers of the Teeth, they have there own forum and I think I have instructions there, but anyway. Menegroth needs some inspiration for the inside - the actual caverns of the elves. And Towers of the Teeth needs something creative for another tower, and possibly some fixing so it aligns with the Mordor map.

I have started yet another attempt at Minas Morgul (this one will it will not be fit for SEE). This map is an evil thing that does not sleep. Here is a download to the previous Minas Morgul map.

And a small tutorial on how to make mountains.

Create steps, keeping in mind where the ridges and valleys will be. Best view for this is top-down. Also keep view settings to a minimal.
Posted Image
Smooth down the terrain - do not re-flatten it but enough so you cannot see the steps
Posted Image
Here is the completed step two. Next get the raise and lower terrain brush and set it to a large size and create ridges and valleys - very rough-like. Then lower the size of the tool systematically until you have it at 2,1,2 which I find gives me the highest detail.
Posted Image
And here is the reason why I should not be allowed to make tutorials.
Posted Image
See how I have painted where I wanted the ridges and where the barriers are. I started with a lower terrain brush set at 40,0,20 to instantly get the tormented feel of the Mountains of Shadow. It felt like the brush was eating away at the mountains.

Edited by MattTheLegoman, 03 June 2012 - 05:07 AM.

#12 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:38 AM

Here is a clip I made for Terrain and Texturing.
Key points:
Most textures are blended after I have most of the textures on the map.
Most terrain comes before texture.
And look out for how I change from the hilly area to the plain.

Edited by MattTheLegoman, 18 June 2012 - 07:17 AM.

#13 NewErr

NewErr

Elf-friend

• Project Team
  • 2,177 posts
  • Projects:Wars of The Firstborn
  •  World Wide Artist

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:12 AM

Very interesting methods , but here says the video is private.

#14 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:18 AM

Fixed. Thanks Valaquenta.

P.S. I should put in that I learnt a lot from other mappers. Particularly NJM.

Edited by MattTheLegoman, 18 June 2012 - 07:19 AM.

#15 {IP}Solstice

{IP}Solstice

The Relayer

• Project Team
  • 461 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:57 PM

I like how you made the cliffs with the set height tool, I'm going to try that out on my map of Eithel Ivrin.
my political compass: http://www.political...-4.75&soc=-5.69
my website: http://future4.weebly.com/ (out of date)

#16 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:24 AM

Wait, how else do you make cliffs?

#17 {IP}Solstice

{IP}Solstice

The Relayer

• Project Team
  • 461 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:37 AM

Wait, I mean the mountains!
my political compass: http://www.political...-4.75&soc=-5.69
my website: http://future4.weebly.com/ (out of date)

#18 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:54 AM

Nah uh uh, you said cliff first. ;p

I feel it uses less time for a more controlled result when following this method.
1) Set height - make steps of the rough layout of the mountains steps of less than +/-100 difference is good, +/-20 will give to much control, +/-200 is too far.
2) Smooth it all out, you might accidentally make something look nice but later on wish you smoothed it out properly.
3) Dig terrain using a large brush (Optional - perfect for Mordor maps as it gives it a very sharp look.)
4) Raise terrain using a large brush
5) Dig terrain using a small brush
6) Raise terrain using a small brush

As always look to Haldir's mapping documentation.

#19 _Haldir_

_Haldir_

Mapper

• Project Team
  • 1,203 posts
  • Projects:The Dwarf Holds, The Elven Alliance: Community Edition
  •  T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:22 AM

It's always interesting to see other people map, awesome stuff MtL. I certainly wish BFME1 WB had the shift-click-to-texture-all feature, i can see how much quicker and easier things could be with it.
And as for terrain, i work in a similar way to MtL. So yeah, i'd definitely use the set height brush first, before trying to build up with the mound/dig tools.

Out of interest, which program did you use to record that? And how long did it take you in real time?

Posted Image Posted Image

#20 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:11 AM

I am sure I learnt the process from you Haldir.

33 minutes real time - 3 minute blocks of video (I set the limit myself so I could have breaks from the video and do other things). Joined 9 of the 11 video blocks together and increased video speed by 4.

I deleted 2 unnecessary 3 minute blocks - the full video didn't work with them in.

Video capture program used was Debut Video Capture Software (it is annoying in that it wants you to download every other program Debut has made, it was free however). And the video editor was Windows Live Movie Maker.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users