• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 LEGO

LEGO

title available

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:38 AM

Most units in DDay have a much longer Rate of Fire than most Vanila RA2 units, so in a small-mid scale combat, it would be more convenient for players to know which of your tanks have just shoot a round waiting to reload, and which ones are available to shoot now.
So why not give them this:
PipScale=Ammo
Ammo=1
Reload=whatever number=ROF.

Or even more interesting, to represent that some unit can "rush fire" in the first a few shoots, you can give them:
ROF=the rush fire rate, a small number

PipScale=Ammo
Ammo=the rounds numbers that it can keep shooting at a faster pace.
Reload=the regular larger rate of fire.

I think this can make tank battles more interesting.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
And about fighters, if click order them to attack an enemy air from behind (chase it), fighter can not fire at all!
They fly exactly to the verge of weapon range, always need a second to stop, and before they fire the target fly out of the range! Thus you have to manuelly control your fighters.
Is there any fix?

#2 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

5700 vxl files & counting...

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  • Projects:D-Day
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:17 AM

Some tanks already use such an ammo system to represent magazines/auto-loaders etc. The ROF is coded so that at normal game speed it's the same as the real thing.

There is no way to fix that specific problem with the fighter planes, the same problem happens with other types of units too, it's just the way the targeting system works in RA2.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 LEGO

LEGO

title available

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:29 AM

And also, I'm thinking if there is a way to make fighters with different manuverbilities behave differently. As we know JumpJetTurnRate makes no difference.
I think it can be like this:
If a fighter is more famous for its Boom&Zoom/Vertical tactic, it shall have a longer ROF but more damage each shoot, its tactic in game is hit and run.
If a fighter is more famous for its Turn&Burn/Horizontal tactic, it shall have a smaller ROF but less damage each shoot, its tactic in game is try to keep enemy in range.
So, If a BZ fighter have a higher speed than its TB rival, even if it may not have superior HP*Damage/ROF, it would very likely enjoy a advantage.

#4 LEGO

LEGO

title available

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:32 AM

Some tanks already use such an ammo system to represent magazines/auto-loaders etc. The ROF is coded so that at normal game speed it's the same as the real thing.

Oh? Which ones? I've done some battle but seen none. And, I think a Ammo=1 (Reloaded/Yet Reloaded) sign would be good for all tanks.

There is no way to fix that specific problem with the fighter planes, the same problem happens with other types of units too, it's just the way the targeting system works in RA2.

Too bad...

Edited by LEGO, 11 June 2012 - 01:36 AM.

#5 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:04 AM

A similar Damage/ROF system is already used on fighters, pre-war machine gun (high ROF, low Dam) & post-war missile (low ROF, high Dam). TBH the RA2 engine is very limited & I doubt I'll be able to make any more improvements to the fighters.

The M50 Ontos, T58, FV4401 Contentious & Churchill AVRE use ammo systems. I wanted to add an ammo system to the the post-war French tanks that use auto-loaders too (AMX-13 & AMX-50 etc) but I couldn't make a system I was happy with, so I dropped it for now.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 LEGO

LEGO

title available

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:35 AM

Good, thanks.
Still I think pre-war MG(high ROF, low Dam) & post-war missile (low ROF, high Dam) is not enough. There need to be more diversity between fighters in the same stage, and the diversity should be significant enough for different fighters to develop defferent prefered tactics.

#7 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:27 PM

As I said the RA2 engine isn't really flexible enough to implement such things.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 LEGO

LEGO

title available

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:24 AM

Hey Miggy, just found that "IdleRate=1" can keep jumpjet's propeller running even when it is not moving.
This makes fighters look better.

#9 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:45 AM

k I'll check that out thx

Edit: It works! Thx I've added it to all the propeller fighters.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 LEGO

LEGO

title available

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:27 AM

Hey Comrade Eater,
I just found that, my Flak guns are more dangerous than Red Army Yaks to my Luftwaffen...
Well, this is hardly a bug, and may be realistic in one way, but it is really annoying......

#11 LEGO

LEGO

title available

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:00 AM

And still, I feel that it is too easy for flaks to shoot down enemy airs. Flaks rather than fighters destroyed most enemy air.
This reminds me more RA2 rather than WW2...
Yes I understand you have made it so for some good reason. Still I'd like to make a suggestion:

Flak's role is to not shoot down enemy air as it is often misunderstood to be, but is to protect own ground force.
As we know, in WW2, it often takes hundreds if not thousands shoots of the flaks to shoot down a single plane. They are quite dumb shoot down something.
However, to protect own ground, they don't necessarily shoot down the target, they can easily disturb the enemy diving course, make its bombing less precise.
"Enemy bomber survived, own ground survived" can be discribed as a successful air defense, while "Enemy shoot down, own ground destroyed" is just little more than total failure.

So, how about let's reduce the damage of flak shoots, but give ground attack planes "DamageReducesReadiness=Yes" (and also perhaps give them more Ammo than 1, say 3).
If so, the flaks needs less shoots(3) to make a plane harmless than they need to shoot it down(5-6). So, despite they won't shoot donw many planes, their air defense efficiency is improved.
You want to destroy enemy air rather than simplly drive them away? Send the fighters. It's their professional.
And btw, heavy bombers should not be DamageReducesReadiness=Yes, for the reason we all understand.
I think this may be more WW2.

#12 Mig Eater

Mig Eater

• Undead
  • 5,833 posts
  •  Teh workaholic

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:47 PM

That's quite an interesting & unique Idea, I'll try it out & see how it goes.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 LEGO

LEGO

title available

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:20 AM

I have done a little test myself. There are both goods and bads:
Goods:
1,as said before, flak and fighter can each better play its own role. It is almost as good as my expectation.
2, SEAD/DEAD(Suppression/Destroy Enemy Air Defence) would be more "playable" and more tactical, if (and only if) you plan your air attack package well, you can achieve SEAD/DEAD with much less lost.
Bads:
Burst=X tag in the flak/fighter weapons would ruin the effect as it clears all ammos in one shoot. A choice have to be made. Tho personally speaking I think "Damage=10 Burst=10" is not much different from "Damage=100 Burst=1".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users