#1 Speeder

Speeder

#ControlMOre

• Hosted
  • 8,998 posts
  • Projects:Mental Omega
  •  Mental Omega Creator

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:36 PM

First of all, I'd like to thank everyone for their support. We have recently hit 1000 fans on our Facebook page. It's great to know that so many people are interested in this small project of ours.

I tried to keep a regular pace with these media updates but it seems that recently development of version 3.0 has it's ups and downs. Nevertheless, it's finally time for another media update in which we'll show you some of the remaining units in game and the final episode of Hero Spotlight. No big surprises here: Scorpion Cell and Pacific Front heroes. Were you able to predict what they'd do?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOFnqpfrA_g#520x293

The Allied Infantry page has been updated with new intel on Tanya and the Pacific Front hero Norio. With this, all heroes for the 9 subfactions are revealed.

Posted Image
Tanya, Siegfried, Norio, Volkov, Chitzkoi, Morales, Yunru, Libra, Malver, Rahn

Another update on the website: Allied Units are finally up and boy, it's a big one. I'm actually wondering if any other page will top this one with the amount of content it has. Two units are not complete and will have their pictures uploaded later. There've been several other minor updates too, you can check them on the Changelog page.

So yeah, there are several units which haven't been shown before on that page before - fresh from Azri's war factory and no, we did not limit the update to Allied units only. Just take a look at the new pictures.

Posted Image
Zephyr Artillery

Posted Image
Basswave

Posted Image
Hailstorm

Posted Image
Colossus (AA mode)

Posted Image
Ghost Miner

Posted Image
Dragonfly

Posted Image
Buratino

Posted Image
Siege Chopper

Posted Image
Siege Chopper (deployed)

There's a big chance that in the next update we'll show you the final set of 3.0 units! Well, at least the ones we want you to know about at the start. ; )

In other news, as I've written on our Facebook page some time ago, we're happy to announce that Mental Omega 3.0 will use music by Black Ice 9 for the Epsilon side. That's right, each side in 3.0 will have its own music in game. You can preview two of Black Ice 9's tracks below, or just head to his website or Facebook profile for more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtucSolwseI#520x293

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffH0SOQ6KLQ#520x293

As a bonus.. two installation pictures! Thanks to Banderi and SecondWtq we'll have several nice pictures for you to see and they will be included in our installer which will try to mimic the original Red Alert 2 at least a bit.

Posted Image Posted Image

That's all for today, stay tuned!

mainbanner.jpg
bt_left.pngbt_fb.pngbt_yt.pngbt_tw.pngbt_md.pngbt_right.png
115776.png

#2 Johny.Whooof

Johny.Whooof
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • Projects:Trying to stay sane

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:41 PM

This is going to be so badly awesome I can barely stand it even now! The music, the units, every god damn part of this mod is the essence of pure awesomeness!

Guys, do you plan to make a complete soundtrack compilation for us to buy? I know we can buy songs by Black Ice 9 at their web page, but I was thinking about something which is more like Mental Omega: APYR OST.

#3 Speeder

Speeder

#ControlMOre

• Hosted
  • 8,998 posts
  •  Mental Omega Creator

Posted 06 July 2012 - 08:55 PM

I'm glad you like what you've seen so far. but no, nothing like that is planned. Epsilon OST was made using songs from Black Ice 9's existing collection and is updated whenever he makes a cool and fitting tune but those songs weren't created with the idea of being an OST to Mental Omega in mind.

mainbanner.jpg
115776.png

#4 fir3w0rx

fir3w0rx
  • Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 01:59 PM

We've been waiting almost 11 YEARS for the Yuri campaign missions... HURRY UP ALREADY!!! :p

(just kidding, please don't rush it :) )

#5 Speeder

Speeder

#ControlMOre

• Hosted
  • 8,998 posts
  •  Mental Omega Creator

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:03 PM

Regarding that, Yuri campaign has already been released in Mental Omega 2.0 in 2006 which you can find here. :p 3.0 will have a completely new set of missions though. :)

mainbanner.jpg
115776.png

#6 fir3w0rx

fir3w0rx
  • Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:04 PM

We've been waiting almost 11 years for the Yuri campaign single player missions... HURRY UP ALREADY!!! :p

(just kidding, please don't rush it :) )

*EDIT: Sorry, I ddin't realize that there are supposed to be "Epsilon Missions", I mustn't have installed that NP_SE patch properly (maybe not at all).

Edited by fir3w0rx, 08 July 2012 - 06:01 PM.

#7 fir3w0rx

fir3w0rx
  • Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:54 PM

Yeah I figured it out eventually; sadly, NP_SE_0022.exe isn't compatible with the *TFD 1.03 patch - a patch that I had installed so that I would no longer need to keep inserting my disc :(

But that's cool, as long as it works. I can see the Epsilon missions now, yay :) Besides the installation part, everything about this mod seems to be pretty damn awesome so far. I just wish that I had stopped playing RA2/YR online and had looked into this mod sooner :)

#8 Graion Dilach

Graion Dilach

Supérior Caliburwielder

• Project Team
  • 2,187 posts
  • Projects:Infinty Engine modding, OpenHV, Attacque Supérior (sometimes)
  •  That guy you keep hearing the stories about.

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:41 PM

sadly, NP_SE_0022.exe isn't compatible with the *TFD 1.03 patch - a patch that I had installed so that I would no longer need to keep inserting my disc :(

I can't even count how many times have I tell people about this... 1.03 is a No-CD, and NP does NOT support No-CDs.
kuuHd4s.png6pDXsCS.png
n0J1wqE.pngIX8pBXZ.png

AS Discord server: https://discord.gg/7aM7Hm2

ComradeCrimson: AS is the product of Hungarian acid
ComradeCrimson: And magical hussars
Dutchygamer: and Weird Al.

#9 TIjey

TIjey
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:41 PM

good news, one of the expected projects is almost completed

#10 Haxxan

Haxxan

What title?

• Members
  • 113 posts
  • Projects:None
  •  Mental Omega \m/

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:40 AM

sadly, NP_SE_0022.exe isn't compatible with the *TFD 1.03 patch - a patch that I had installed so that I would no longer need to keep inserting my disc :(

I can't even count how many times have I tell people about this... 1.03 is a No-CD, and NP does NOT support No-CDs.

LOL..............................it took me 6 months to realize this on my own :shiftee:

mainbanner.jpg

Mental Omega 3.0 on the web: 

bt_left.pngbt_fb.pngbt_yt.pngbt_tw.pngbt_md.pngbt_ds.pngbt_right.png

#11 Johny.Whooof

Johny.Whooof
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:28 PM

A little bit off topic, but let me ask. On the ModDB I've read some comments about we possibly won't need to have Yuri's Revenge to play Mental Omega: APYR. What exactly do you mean by that? It's going to be a standalone mod?

#12 Jargalhurts

Jargalhurts

Mental Face

• Project Team
  • 328 posts
  • Projects:Nothing worth showing off.
  •  Actually Yngwie of House Malmsteen.

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:06 AM

A little bit off topic, but let me ask. On the ModDB I've read some comments about we possibly won't need to have Yuri's Revenge to play Mental Omega: APYR. What exactly do you mean by that? It's going to be a standalone mod?

Lol. Isn't that bloody obvious?

Actually Yngwie of Haus Malmsteen, feefty eenches of pure Svwedish beef.

#13 Solais

Solais

Conspiracy Theorist

• Members
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:06 AM

Actually, since such is a rarity, it is not bloody obvious.

But as far as I know - since it was mentioned in the Media Updates before - that, yes, it will be a standalone mod.

#14 Johny.Whooof

Johny.Whooof
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:54 AM

Lol. Isn't that bloody obvious?

Well, logically it was obvious but it just seemed too awesome to be true.

#15 Speeder

Speeder

#ControlMOre

• Hosted
  • 8,998 posts
  •  Mental Omega Creator

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:59 AM

That's nothing confirmed. We'll do it if we're able to do it.

mainbanner.jpg
115776.png

#16 Thats me!

Thats me!

Title availble

• Members
  • 653 posts
  • Projects:thinking...:p
  •  not Red :(

Posted 19 August 2012 - 12:42 AM

hopefully you will be able to do it,but you have to ask ea right?

#17 RP.

RP.

Mentalmeister

• Project Team
  • 447 posts
  • Projects:Mental Omega 3.0
  •  Mental Omega Mission Coder

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:35 AM

Why in hell would he have to ask EA, if you see what they are doing to Command and Conquer at this very moment, there is 0 chance he'll get permission to include their game in his mod.
They can make profit over 2 games for that.

Posted Image

FinalOmega: APYR 3.0 Map Editor ™

Mental Omega mission coder

#18 Zenothist

Zenothist

Former Mentalmeister

• Project Team
  • 1,727 posts
  •  Each post handcrafted for the discerning reader.

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:57 AM

The fact is, if we make it stand-alone, we would still have to ask EA because they hold the rights to the C&C franchise. Simple as that. We haven't asked yet because we aren't ready for a release yet. But I think starting negotiations with EA could increase our chances.

#19 Thats me!

Thats me!

Title availble

• Members
  • 653 posts
  • Projects:thinking...:p
  •  not Red :(

Posted 19 August 2012 - 12:01 PM

The thing is red alert 2 hasn't been released for free yet,and ea sadly holds the cnc rights(they killed it again with the last announcement,first cnc4,and now this...).
ea may allow it,after all they allowed renegade standalone mods,and afaik renegade hasn't been released for free yet(or?).

Edit:was too slow :p

Edited by Thats me!, 19 August 2012 - 12:02 PM.

#20 lovalmidas

lovalmidas

Yunru Kanegawa. Go figure. Go mental.

• Project Team
  • 1,192 posts
  • Projects:Mental Omega Almost Perfect Yunru's Revenge Version 3.0
  •  Why am I not in the Centurion?

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:22 PM

Even if the earlier games are freeware, EA still own the rights to them. That the game is freeware doesn't mean that the EULA no longer prohibits modding.

By allowing MO (or any other mod using a YR game engine) to be published standalone means indirectly allowing the EULA to be violated to a higher degree than other mods - precisely because of the fact that if MO is standalone, you no longer need to purchase a copy of RA2 and YR in order to play a similar game. While EA has not taken issue with most other aspects of modding, it is unclear if EA reacts kindly to standalones when they are intending to make a new C&C game.

But then, reading the EULA again, "You also may not copy, modify... create derivative works of... from, all or any of portion of the Product or anything incorporated herein, including any screen display...". I am also guilty at least by posting screenshots of my fan-missions. D:

The good thing is that EA is not actively against modding. So there is some chance permission may be granted. But AFAIK this is an unofficial stance. For EA to grant an explicit, offical permission is somewhat another thing.

The best course of action IMO would be to (hopefully) gain EA's permission to publish MO as standalone (which would in effect nullify the effects of the EULA). It may help to find out how the makers of Renegade standalone mods got the permission, if they did. (Yup, Renegade isn't free... yet.)

That said, what is going to happen if EA rejects giving permission?

30m70ag.png

Mental Omega on the web:
fbbutton.png ytbutton.png mdbutton.png dsbutton.png
IRC: #menthosogma (Rizon)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users