Photo

Would you like the first few missions of MO v3.0 to be introductory/tutorial missions?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 fir3w0rx

fir3w0rx
  • Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:50 AM

Yuri's Revenge has been around for so many years, but with the vast amount of new units and structures that MO has to offer, it's almost a completely new game. Although there is a manual available, I think that learning by doing would be a lot more fun than reading about it. What do you think? Votes are anonymous.

#2 Solais

Solais

Conspiracy Theorist

• Members
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:26 AM

Definitely. Even if these tutorials are just voiceover descriptions, like when new units were introduced in the original games.

#3 lovalmidas

lovalmidas

Yunru Kanegawa. Go figure. Go mental.

• Project Team
  • 1,192 posts
  • Projects:Mental Omega Almost Perfect Yunru's Revenge Version 3.0
  •  Why am I not in the Centurion?

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:47 AM

I wholeheartedly agree with this idea, although that begets the question of how and who to introduce. Complete tutorial missions are featured only in Red Alert 2, and that is for the interface and control tutorial.

All 'introductions' of later units are done in the midst of a mission, be it in Red Alert 2 and Yuri's Revenge.

Some of the 2.0c/psi units have been introduced with ingame text instead of voices or demonstrations or complete tutorials, but the point made is identical. So this is nothing new, but a good direction to explore.

If (there, I said 'IF') I can spare some time off my university commitments, then I am making a micromanagement training 'tutorial' mission along with my 'fan-missions' in 2.0psi (though I wouldn't introduce new units :p). I reckon it will probably be completed after 3.0 is out. ;)

30m70ag.png

Mental Omega on the web:
fbbutton.png ytbutton.png mdbutton.png dsbutton.png
IRC: #menthosogma (Rizon)

#4 Graion Dilach

Graion Dilach

Supérior Caliburwielder

• Project Team
  • 2,187 posts
  • Projects:Infinty Engine modding, OpenHV, Attacque Supérior (sometimes)
  •  That guy you keep hearing the stories about.

Posted 15 July 2012 - 11:13 AM

I'm against this idea, and support an entire tutorial campaign instead.

In RA2, you was limited in the techtree just because the game aimed to teach you, Take Allied 1 for example. Yet in Allied 02 you are told that you are the sole commander who haven't fell in the Soviet rush.

In MO, even on the first missions you are The Commander and thereby you are already supposed to know how to deal with stuff. If you can't deal with stuff then you just doesn't belong to the command chair.

And remind you, I fail at campaign.

Edited by Graion Dilach, 15 July 2012 - 11:13 AM.

kuuHd4s.png6pDXsCS.png
n0J1wqE.pngIX8pBXZ.png

AS Discord server: https://discord.gg/7aM7Hm2

ComradeCrimson: AS is the product of Hungarian acid
ComradeCrimson: And magical hussars
Dutchygamer: and Weird Al.

#5 fir3w0rx

fir3w0rx
  • Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:12 PM

An entire tutorial campaign definitely sounds like a great idea, kind of like in RA3. Keep in mind though, If this tutorial idea does get implemented, it'll definitely push the release date further back, so therefore I apologise in advance for backing the idea :p.

#6 Graion Dilach

Graion Dilach

Supérior Caliburwielder

• Project Team
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:01 AM

Not for me, I have beta access. :p

I even know how impossible the first missions already are and I know that those can't be tutorial ones.
kuuHd4s.png6pDXsCS.png
n0J1wqE.pngIX8pBXZ.png

#7 lovalmidas

lovalmidas

• Project Team
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:02 PM

Lol. But then having fans working their sweat out over 3.0 would leave more time for making 4.0 without people getting bored or asking for more missions.

Honestly, if MO 3.0 were not standalone, I would have encouraged anyone in need of help to even control the battlefield to play the tutorial campaign in the original Red Alert 2. Since the introductions of units have always been part of actual missions, another tutorial mission/campaign would be unnecessary.

But since it is planned to be standalone (and independent from 2.0c/psi), some of the new fans may be completely new to Red Alert 2 stuff (which is probable considering how old Red Alert 2 is). Having a tutorial mission can be useful, although if they needed tutorials in the first place, well... I sincerely wish them the best in singleplayer.

And honestly, having ONE tutorial mission is probably enough - basic Red Alert 2 and Yuri's Revenge gameplay isn't very complicated. Even if it were, a 'sandbox' kind of mission or even skirmish can deal with all the learning.

Talking about introductions, since most the units will be changed in namesake, it may be good to reintroduce those 'new' units in gameplay again. There will exist some random people who don't know that the Archon and Stryker are the new IFVs, and write 'I can repair my tanks in this mission??'.

30m70ag.png

Mental Omega on the web:

#8 Foxy Boxes

Foxy Boxes
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:14 PM

The Archon and Stryker are the new IFVs?

#9 lovalmidas

lovalmidas

• Project Team
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:49 PM

Hi Foxy Boxes,
Check it out.
http://mo.cncguild.n...ge=allied_units

Check out the two unit names and their "Additional Info"

I must admit the surprise came much earlier than I expected. :p

30m70ag.png

Mental Omega on the web:

#10 Graion Dilach

Graion Dilach

Supérior Caliburwielder

• Project Team
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:44 AM

By your definition, Tsurugi is also an IFV.

You have some points, however I tell you.... we can't put them in. The first Allied mission is to do something with that huge armada from the RA2 intro to not lose the Pentagon. The player simply has no chance to get tutorials or unit introductions when there are 10-15 Kirovs incoming... and after that, an entire Soviet D-day.

On the other hand, there is a much, much more detailed webpage and even skirmish games can be used to get used to the sides. And campaigns will still be painful. I can't think up better than having the tutorial missions separate.

Edited by Graion Dilach, 20 July 2012 - 08:45 AM.

kuuHd4s.png6pDXsCS.png
n0J1wqE.pngIX8pBXZ.png

#11 Speeder

Speeder

#ControlMOre

• Hosted
  • 8,998 posts
  • Projects:Mental Omega
  •  Mental Omega Creator

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:41 AM

We might do the tutorial minicampaign, however it would be seperate from Allied/Soviet/Epsilon Act One.

mainbanner.jpg
bt_left.pngbt_fb.pngbt_yt.pngbt_tw.pngbt_md.pngbt_right.png
115776.png

#12 Atomic_Noodles

Atomic_Noodles

Colony Hivemind

• Project Team
  • 854 posts
  • Projects:Red Alert - Colony Wars
  •  Colony Wars Hive Mind

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:54 AM

Might as well. Isn't it possible to do Four Campaigns with Ares now?

~ Getting cringe reactions when you see a RAINBOW means you have issues. ~

"This World is an Illussion,Exile" -High Templar Dominus

#13 Armageddon123

Armageddon123
  • New Members
  • 4 posts
  • Projects:RA2YRMOGD
  •  The biggest annoyance on Earth, nah.....

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:59 PM

It's just my opinion, but I think you should make as less "Destroy everything on map" objectives as possible! It is a real pain in the arse, destroying all buildings is just enough. I.E Deep Freeze, Cloak and Dagger, Cold air No air, The Fall of Adam........ And even though it pissed me off every time I played it, I really like Paranoiac! But, you know, I'll like anything you put in 3.0, even if it made no sense at all. Keep up the good work! :D
Armageddon123 is here!

#14 lovalmidas

lovalmidas

• Project Team
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:05 PM

From what I have seen so far, you will face many kinds of objectives and less of "Kill everything". Although if you get pissed with Paranoiac, you will probably get 'pissed' with 3.0 missions too. :p

"I'll like anything you put in 3.0, even if it made no sense at all." XD

30m70ag.png

Mental Omega on the web:

#15 isaac103

isaac103

title available

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 04:19 AM

We might do the tutorial minicampaign, however it would be seperate from Allied/Soviet/Epsilon Act One.

I am assuming this option is still on the table or has that gone out the window now?

#16 Sven Co. Op

Sven Co. Op

Knightframe "Custom" Suit Pilot

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  The Few, The Proud, The Foehn

Posted 28 May 2017 - 05:52 AM

An idea for the mini campaign that I have in mind is more of a refresher course that the commander takes part in several years before the events of Act 1. Think of it as a large scale war games type mission, where the commander takes command of various units in order to complete several tasks revolving around the core fundamentals of MO. The targets could consist of dummies and civilian buildings (empty ones mind you), and just goes through some basic stuff like waypoints, groupings, etc.

Any thoughts?

"I had normal life, till the day our thoughts got clouded in a dark shroud. My home was destroyed, then they found me, or rather, I found them.

#17 EtherealDark

EtherealDark
  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 08:12 AM

Definitely on board with that idea, especially if you include important hotkeys as well like Q,W,E,R, the importance of Q and W in building placement, etc.

#18 isaac103

isaac103

title available

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 05:14 PM

I'm hoping Speeder is looking at this and still considering the idea. (After all the Mental Omega missions are over that is)

#19 isaac103

isaac103

title available

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 01:37 AM

Hate to keep bumping this but with the new map editor coming out, would it be possible to create our own tutorial missions just to help speed things up?

#20 UNSC THE CHILL OF WAR

UNSC THE CHILL OF WAR

title available

• Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 01:25 PM

Hate to keep bumping this but with the new map editor coming out, would it be possible to create our own tutorial missions just to help speed things up?

i agree with everything, I was wondering if I could help too with new map editor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users