gathering ideas

• Please log in to reply
1347 replies to this topic

#1261 zalteredbeastz

zalteredbeastz
  • New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 January 2021 - 09:32 AM

Hi, great mod. Thanks a lot for all the modders who worked on it. I enjoy it a lot!

#1262 Tickoman

Tickoman
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 02:49 AM

Some feedback:

Anyway, I'm having a hard time the lowest (normal) difficulty. So far I've completed most of altered vanilla missions and I must say it's pretty hard, not only is shooting nerfed because of less ammo available, the maps are also PACKED with enemies, though I'm surprised there's so much sniper ammo. There are some things I dislike and I'll list them and the reasons why. Of course everyone is different and so are our opinions, this is just mine:

- detecting mines is boring/time consuming; the area of detection is too small and turns mine removal into a tedious quick-save/load job

- snipers overpowered; this is on "Normal", most snipers will kill my units instantly the very moment they get their FoV on them. There is no countering this except by avoiding the FoV completely. A sniper entering a building while commandos are covering the door with rifles will manage to kill one commando, which I think is ridiculous. The "super snipers" (like on Saving Private Smith mission) don't act like that, instead they properly take aim before killing someone. I think if a sniper enters a building he should take out his hand gun and shoot with that or at least NOT instantly delete someone with his rifle

- commando Field of View and Ctrl+click shooting; it's understandable not all commandos have the same skill with firearms, and I think the FoV difference is alright. What bugs me is that the shooting ranges of Crtl-shooting are unchanged so it's weird that, for example, Green Barret can't shoot as far as Natasha or Spy. Maybe it's intended, or it's an engine limitation?

- lights on night missions; I've played only a few night time missions and I honestly think that there are too many, too fast-moving and too big lights. I have abandoned meticulous observation and planning and just went with "if it works, good, if not, reload" approach. I guess it's up to the author to decide these things, but at least the modded vanilla missions could be a bit less tedious in that regard. Lighting in Night of the Wolves is not bad, and a commando can even turn off some sections which is great and should be implemented into other missions if possible. The other thing with lights is that they can't be turned off by shooting at them. I know it worked in the vanilla game, why not now?

other stuff:

I think pistols should have unlimited ammo, I find meticulously organizing ammo on all the commandos a bit boring. I rarely even use pistols now because I don't want to waste precious bullets. Btw, is it possible to change how shots at the enemy are calculated? Because even if several commandos fire their pistol at the same enemy, it will only count as one shot if the shots were fired at the same time (or within a short time period). If that could be changed so that each bullet counts, pistols would be a lot more help, now they're just for killing a single enemy or something like that... I'd rather have some commandos unable to use rifles/machine guns as a trade-off.

Uniforms - has anyone considered that maybe Natasha and Spy should be able to run in disguise and not be detected? I mean they're expert spies, yet all other disguised commandos can run in the outer FoV and enemies don't figure them out (except those who do ofc)

In conclusion, I like the mod, I like how the items are spread out, the extra commandos in missions make it more fun and Lupin and Natasha can tie up enemies YES!

At times it feels that it has been made extra hard just so the mission lasts/plays longer. I don't approve of this mindset, games are supposed to be fun, and the way to increase value is not in increasing the time required to complete missions, but in their replayability. Maybe that's just how I am. It's impossible to cater to everyone's wishes, and nothing would get done if modders did that. The mod is great, it really is an improvement upon the vanilla game, and with so many custom missions, it's insane that this is actually free. :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd also like to ask, does anyone have any tips on finishing the "saving private Smith" mission without casualties? I can manage the rescue part, but not the invasion. I've tried everything, positioned men wherever I could, but I simply can't do it without having enemy snipers ~poof poofing~ some of them. It's impossible to kill them before they kill me, except with traps, grenades or my own sniper (whom I can't micro all the time). I can't even hold the ruined house where the allied soldiers start off - even with the ladder in the house covered by commandos and allied soldiers, enemies will still climb up like "lalalala u dedddd" lol..

Edited by Tickoman, 12 February 2021 - 09:07 AM.

#1263 orty

orty
  • New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 05:22 PM

Hi,

I just downloaded the mod after reinstalling CII for the first time in years, the trailer just made my day :).

I encounter a very peculiar issue though, in most missions (customs level and legacy ones as well) one or several of my men just appear to be on sight by ennemies right from the beginning of the mission, without giving me any time nor any chance to hide them before they set off the alarm and got killed.

Is it a known issue or I am the only one experiencing it ?

Many thanks for your great work !

PS: I have attached a video of the E1: Rescue mission. The lag is only due to the recording, the game runs perfectly smooth.
2021-02-11-17h02-42.gif

#1264 Tickoman

Tickoman
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 February 2021 - 08:51 AM

I've been having the same "problem" if you can call it that.. I think the ones who created/altered the maps did this on purpose, for more challenge I suppose

#1265 luckyteddy

luckyteddy
  • Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 02:43 AM

Hi,

I just downloaded the mod after reinstalling CII for the first time in years, the trailer just made my day :).

I encounter a very peculiar issue though, in most missions (customs level and legacy ones as well) one or several of my men just appear to be on sight by ennemies right from the beginning of the mission, without giving me any time nor any chance to hide them before they set off the alarm and got killed.

Is it a known issue or I am the only one experiencing it ?

Many thanks for your great work !

PS: I have attached a video of the E1: Rescue mission. The lag is only due to the recording, the game runs perfectly smooth.
2021-02-11-17h02-42.gif

THIS PROBLEM RELATES TO PATROL. THOSE MISSIONS )E1, Z1, ...)  ORIGINATE FROM CHINESE (VERSION 1.34 NOT 1.4x). PATROL VIEW IN 1.4X IS FARTHER. AND RECENT VERSIONS THEY REACT ALMOST RIGHT AWAY WHEN THEN SEE COMMANDOS SO THOSE MISSIONS ARE IMPOSSIBLE.

#1266 extrano1955

extrano1955

title available

• Members
  • 669 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 10:14 PM

This happend because at some point china changed parlglobal doing weaker weapons and smaller view of patrolls but not in our version of the game. After join both chinses and normal version in same 2.0 this bug appeared. Reduce the view of the patrolls coping 1.34 rules parlglobal fix the problem, but we dont like small view, and delete the patrolls will be hard job to find every bugged mission, and will change the design of the missions. I still don´t know what to do in next update

#1267 FiPfcHunt3r

FiPfcHunt3r
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 March 2021 - 07:49 PM

This happend because at some point china changed parlglobal doing weaker weapons and smaller view of patrolls but not in our version of the game. After join both chinses and normal version in same 2.0 this bug appeared. Reduce the view of the patrolls coping 1.34 rules parlglobal fix the problem, but we dont like small view, and delete the patrolls will be hard job to find every bugged mission, and will change the design of the missions. I still don´t know what to do in next update

I see, good to know. And that sounds perfectly legit, although it would be a good idea for sure to try to fix it... Or then hey, if you really don't know what to do, in my opinion, including the PARGLOBAL.DAT from the 1.34 version in a separate folder (just like for the backup of the .exe files) in the next update and add into the readme : "For those missions where your Commandos get killed instantly, just replace the PARGLOBAL.DAT files, and re-replace them back to original when you are done with this mission." That would already be good enough, and quite simple.

Does anyone still has the PARGLOBAL.DAT from the 1.34 version ? Because the 1.34 version cannot be found anymore, or at least if it can still be downloaded somewhere, I couldn't find it...

#1268 extrano1955

extrano1955

title available

• Members
  • 669 posts

Posted 13 March 2021 - 02:55 PM

Actually, you have to delete DATA/MACROS/PATRULLE.MAC to restore 1.34 patroll ( and paste again to restore our pats )

#1269 FiPfcHunt3r

FiPfcHunt3r
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 March 2021 - 09:33 PM

That's even simpler then ! I just gave it a try, and it works, thanks. As I said, mentioning this in the Readme and after the installation would be nice, because I don't think we absolutely need a more sophisticated fix at the moment, but then it's worth explaining this so that everybody knows what to do.

And thank you orty for asking about that, that helped everyone. I had never asked before because I was just assuming that these missions must have been fresh new ones, and that issue was just some bug appearing unexpectedly only after release, and that it would probably be fixed by the next version.

That trick works in all missions, so if someday we find some mission way too hard because of some patrol, we might use it more than initially intended... If that really helped in all situations though. I remember this (traumatic, not kidding) mission [Tr3] Dark Territory. I hated this mission, when there are certain specific enemies, if you knock them out, a patrol immediately goes out and walks towards our hiding place and kills us. I expected this trick to make it at least easier, but it doesn't... I don't know if that system is supposed to try to emulate the intelligent and interactive behaviour of pairs of enemies in Desperados, when some enemy gets suspicious and starts searching around when they notice that their companion has disappeared. But in Desperados, it works well : the enemy doesn't notice anything until his patrol is over and he got back to his companion's position. But then it takes a while before he reacts. And when he does, he really searches around randomly, he is clueless and doesn't know where to look at, and that is well-reflected into his sight of vision : panicking and moving fast, just like enemies in Commandos waking up after being punched, after finding a corpse or after searching an area after hearing a gunfire.

But here in this Dark Territory mission, it's like these enemies and the patrol literally have a mental connection with each other. It's supposed to be WWII, not some high-tech Cyberpunk universe, I find this system incredibly stupid, and frustrating. I guess it must be a great element of gameplay for those most try-hard gamers who want big challenges, otherwise I doubt you would do that out of sheer sadism. But if it goes too much beyond logic (at this point it's not even about realism anymore), I think it just kills the fun. Or at least, it would have been nice in my opinion to not use this feature in the easiest difficulty mode.

It has been a long time I hadn't played the game and the mod, plenty of new versions have popped up since then. I'm just back playing it sometimes, quite busy though. And already at that time, I hadn't dug that much into more missions. I just tried again Dark Territory though, hoping that this had been acknowledged as an issue and treated accordingly, but it hasn't. I just hope that all the missions don't have this annoying feature, if we can call it as such. It's still a great job nonetheless. A nice feature to add (if possible) for a new version would be to be able every time you want to take ammo from a certain weapon, to maybe have a small window that pops up, in which we could input with numbers how many bullets we want to take, because I have to say it's a bit annoying when there is this last pistol bullet you cannot take from enemies. Unless it's intentionally wanted.

#1270 extrano1955

extrano1955

title available

• Members
  • 669 posts

Posted 14 March 2021 - 09:46 AM

Can´t take last bullet is intentionally wanted to balance the game. I would love to find weapons with properly ammo, like snipers with 5 bullets and some ammo for reload, or find the mp40 with at least 30 bullets, but that would make the game too easy, even letting take 2 bullets per rifle. But is not a big trouble fix the can´t take last bullet, I could discuss with some close friends.

At this point there are too many missions to choose, and not all of them are good, you can skip missions looking boring for you. TR3 is a funny map, but I don´t like the mission, the music make me sleep and yes, there is an unfair trap. However canstay ( zjs47) is very good creator, he have other good missions like tr5, bunker to the breack and treason bridge. treason bridge have some surprises, it is very hard also and only can tie the enemies with ally anim ( patrolls can kill ), but there is a funny secret ending.

I used to skip missions where you can´t kill, that make the mission boring, not harder. I think I made a funny video before of how to don´t create a mission, not followed by some guys:

#1271 FiPfcHunt3r

FiPfcHunt3r
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 March 2021 - 03:18 PM

Or then I would just have 2 ammo loaded into enemies’ pistols, so then we take them all… But then it would impact the gameplay, so I would understand if you didn’t like this option. This “bug” is also present in the original game actually: I remember that, at least for the rifle, we took 3 bullets by 3 bullets. Then, if there were 2 bullets left, we could take them; but if only one, we couldn’t. That was weird. One possible way to fix it could be to press Shift when clicking to take ammo, and it took only one bullet, just like when we want to take only one unit of some item.

Nice video yeah, actually I can heavily relate:
- Bad music: [Tr3] Dark Territory music is boring, I agree, that made things worse for me. And I found other missions too where the music is, well, not well-suited.
- Only-tie missions: I didn’t even know there were missions like that (as I said, there are so many missions I haven’t even tried yet), I thought you were talking about missions like the first one in the original game, with only the Thief, Natasha and Whiskey chosen on purpose because they’re the only ones that can’t tie.
So here, we can’t use lethal weapons even when put into our inventory… Well, at least we can tie enemies, instead of just knocking them and move around the map letting all enemies waking up and standing behind us. That’s already a step forward =P  But I agree it’s boring, that drastically reduces the range of possibilities in the mission.
- Missions automatically completed after eliminating all enemies: maybe that’s the least annoying detail, but it is, I agree. That reminds me the ss786Mod v1.44 in Commandos 3 Destination Berlin. It basically adds some features, like more piano wire, a Commandos 3 exclusive item the Thief can use to kill enemies, but it’s interesting because it has its own physics: you can use it only from behind enemies (there is a certain determined angle you can use it from, it’s not as permissive as in Commandos Strike Force where you can kill enemies literally at 90°, but not too harsh either), so it’s not just a mere copy of the knife. In the original game, it is found only in one mission; the mod adds it into all the missions featuring the Thief. You can drive almost all vehicles, use uniforms unlimitedly just like in Destination Paris (you still can steal it from any enemy though, so it’s quite easy). And some other minor features, like some Commandos 2 exclusive items imported, although some aren’t even featured in any mission (the Japanese rifle), and some others are just useless and can be ignored (like winter clothes, but you can go outside without, no problem =P).
And my point is that they also added a counter of remaining enemies… But they couldn’t program it as just a counter: they could just take the already existing count of how many Russian soldiers are still alive in the first Stalingrad mission. And since the mission fails if it reaches 0, it works exactly the same here, so I suspect they added one extra enemy outside the map unreachable, so that we don’t have to worry about practically killing all enemies… Except in one mission where they apparently forgot to add this extra enemy, so if you kill all enemies, the mission fails =P
- Only 1 Commando: meh, why not...
- The “cold” inside: or I would rather say “too-hot-because-you’re-wearing-winter-clothes-inside-so-it’s-unbearable gauge” =P  But yeah, it’s still stupid, especially when allied soldiers wear winter clothes inside too and they are perfectly fine with it.
- Commandos featuring as enemies: I remember seeing that in Strike in Narrow Path too, in some mission where we have to kill Natasha =P  Except here in Strike in Narrow Path, that's useless for sure, like if there weren't enough enemies to choose from the bestiary.
- Furniture spamming troll: very annoying, true. And the searching screen that locks might be the worst mistake of all.

Yeah, shame that a lot of people didn’t follow your recommendations, that would have decreased the amount of not-so-good missions.

#1272 FiPfcHunt3r

FiPfcHunt3r
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 March 2021 - 04:32 PM

I remember when I was a kid, playing Commandos 2 on PS2… No please, don’t kill me for that, that was my birthday gift from my parents and I hadn’t asked for it (I was already quite busy with Commandos 3 which was hard for me at the time), so they took what they found, and that was the PS2 version. I bought the game again on PC years later. So anyway, I had a period when I tried to do the entire game… without killing or even tying any single enemy (except for some rare occasions, like on and inside the submarine to finish the mission 2; same for the mission 3 including enemies around the aircraft; the enemies inside the aircraft on Savo Island mission, etc…) and well, actually I managed to go quite far like that. I even did the mission 3 without using any winter clothes, only picking unforms from enemies when that was absolutely necessary. I was over-using the Diver with his diving suit to counter this. I was playing in easy of course. I reached the mission with the soldier Smith I think, and I don’t remember if I had completed that one. I think I didn’t.

I don’t know what (the hell) happened in my mind so that I decided to do that, especially since it’s not even as if the game was overly easy for me at the time, it wasn’t. But that was quite rewarding when I managed to complete the missions. I know that sounds contradictory to me complaining about some missions’ frustrating elements. But what I mean is that, about these ammo picking issues for example, I think it’s nice to fix them, because then if some players think it makes the game too easy, they can just easily self-impose some rules to add (back) some challenge ;)

... Whereas when we don’t have any choice and have to do the mission absolutely in this or that way without alternative, that’s really shame.

#1273 extrano1955

extrano1955

title available

• Members
  • 669 posts

Posted 14 March 2021 - 04:51 PM

I also played ps2 version before pc, it was a gift when I was 11 years old. And I also tried to do weird things like search different ways to win the missions or only tie, I managed to get 5 stars in allmost all missions. It was my favourite game and didn´t want let it die, so I learnt to edit and created my own dreams. Playing easy missions without kill or save is a cheap way, better create hard missions where you able to use all weapons.

#1274 Tickoman

Tickoman
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 March 2021 - 01:16 AM

I also played ps2 version before pc, it was a gift when I was 11 years old. And I also tried to do weird things like search different ways to win the missions or only tie, I managed to get 5 stars in allmost all missions. It was my favourite game and didn´t want let it die, so I learnt to edit and created my own dreams. Playing easy missions without kill or save is a cheap way, better create hard missions where you able to use all weapons.

I'd like to say that, while the missions compared to vanilla are an improvement, I still wish they would be easier in some aspects.
For example, perfect difficulty for me would be utilizing everything in the mission but not throughout the whole mission. What I mean is, make one building, or a few rooms, require careful sneaking and usage of cover while taking out enemies, but not extend that concept on the whole map.
Also snipers... idk what devil made the mod authors buff snipers into ultimate killing machines like that, especially in invasions where I just can't kill them all before they come to my ambush spots xd

#1275 Buren

Buren
  • Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 08 June 2021 - 05:56 AM

HI, I saw that there is a upgrade of 2.2 version.

Currently I am playing 2.0 version.

My question is:

- Do I need to upgrade to 2.1 first, then 2.2?

Because on the installer I saw there were two versions available; 2.0 to 2.1 and 2.1 to 2.2.

- Is 2.2 recommended? As in is it as stable as 2.0? Because my 2.0 one now is considered very stable, not much force closing unlike the previous one that I have.

Appreciate answers, thanks in advance.

My compassion for you is inconvenient for me  ~Hannibal Lecter

#1276 pohcx04

pohcx04
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 June 2021 - 01:01 AM

Hello guys. In mission das boot 2(morning version),my spy got stuck in the sea after exiting the boat. I cant access his inventory nor move him anywhere. He just floats on water and i cant do anything with him. Can i know how to solve this problem? Thanks a lot for your help!

#1277 extrano1955

extrano1955

title available

• Members
  • 669 posts

Posted 14 June 2021 - 03:59 PM

Hello guys. In mission das boot 2(morning version),my spy got stuck in the sea after exiting the boat. I cant access his inventory nor move him anywhere. He just floats on water and i cant do anything with him. Can i know how to solve this problem? Thanks a lot for your help!

There isn´t any bug in the mission, it was a random issue. You could restart or load old save. You can try to teleport him outside of water running comm2debug english.exe ( located in your directory of the game ) with shift + x. 

#1278 extrano1955

extrano1955

title available

• Members
  • 669 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 05:38 PM

Commandos 2 Destination paris 2.3 Update
1: Install the original game commandos 2 men of courage
2: Install 2.0 in same folder:
alternative link:
3: Install 2.1 update in same folder:
4: Install 2.2 update in same folder:
5: Install 2.3 update in same folder:
Other interesting stuff:
Facebook group, a god choice to find new players:
Revora foum:
---------------------
Information about Comm2P.exe:
Is a modified version of comm2.exe you can find it in the directory of 2.0, it have some improves like resolution screen, use harpoon in land or show enemies alive pressing F6. The missions with 2P in the list need the 2p version for run.
Unfortunetely some antvirus software keep blocking the 2p version and the creator says isn´t a virus but we dont know how to fix this problem. Anyway you can keep running comm2.exe or debug version as always.

#1279 Bloomlight

Bloomlight
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 02:33 PM

Thank you for the update. Is there a way to hide some missions from the list? I want to hide the missions i completed.

#1280 extrano1955

extrano1955

title available

• Members
  • 669 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 05:28 PM

Unfortunetly no. You only could delete the missions in the file DATA/MISIONES/MISIONES.DAT 

Thank you for the update. Is there a way to hide some missions from the list? I want to hide the missions i completed.

Edited by extrano1955, 24 June 2021 - 05:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users