Photo

Forum Reshuffling

layout reorganisation subforum forum structure

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Poll: Forum layout

Do you like the new forum layout?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Do you prefer it over the old layout?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  • Projects:Revora, C&C:Online
  •  Thought Police
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 30 September 2012 - 04:06 PM

With the goal of simplifying our forum layout to make it less bloated and more user-friendly, I've moved some forums around and renamed a few others. The layout follows my suggestion in the "Death of Revora" thread and can be seen as a test or intermediate step. I've made the following changes so far:
  • There are now only 2 categories (down from 3), Community and Network.
  • The practically inactive Jobs forum is now called Help Wanted and has been moved into Revora Questions and Feedback.
  • The Hosted Project Jobs are now located inside the Hosting forum
  • The former Community category has been collapsed into the General Discussion (the former Open Topic).
  • The Junkyard has been renamed back to Spam Factory for now
What remains to be done according to my plan is to collapse most the General Discussion sub-sub-forums into their parent sub-forums to reduce the nesting. So for example the Creative Discussion, Graphics, Music, Writer's Guild and Creative Works sub-forums will be collapsed into just Art & Design. Because that step is irreversible in practical terms, I'm holding off with that for now.

So please tell me if you like the simplified structure and give me your suggestions and ideas.

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

Sieben Elefanten hatte Herr Dschin
Und da war dann noch der achte.
Sieben waren wild und der achte war zahm
Und der achte war's, der sie bewachte.

#2 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Job:Artist

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:38 PM

Some reforms are good I guess. I have to feel it a bit before I can say if its the end of the world.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#3 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:53 PM

Change it back... this is like a moment of relapse for me. I come to Revora for 3 reasons... I open up the site, check the command center, check my Minecraft section then check all the community topics. All at once, based on the most recent post. Now I have to go into a whole different section just to check the 5 different sections I keep track of in there, I base my interest in a section based on if my name is not the top post. I can't check all the topics conveniently now that they're subdivided even more. I like the quick look down the line. It's really weird, but I actually felt a lack of interest in Revora with all of our good topic hidden away. Seriously, it was a surreal moment of me realizing that I'm far too familiar with the community section and how we proudly displayed all of our different community interests. To most of us these days, it's not about the games we're hosting, it's about the awesome topics we make in that community section. Now they're hidden away. It's like the C&C people not visiting our general discussion. They have the forums they keep track of and don't like the hassle of keeping up with anything else Rveora has to offer.

Let me get real, for Revora's sake. I have no interest in sub-forums. I don't visit the junkyard unless someone there made a post that showed up on the front page. I don't check up on every T3A topic, as I keep a close eye on what's popular on the front page. Narrowing the community section is reason enough for me to loose interest in it since I don't want to do that extra click. And here's more reality for us. People coming into Revora generally have no interest in sub-forms. They take one look at our front page and base their interest in that manor. Having the community section like this, would I have gained an interest in Revora back when I first joined? No. Flat out no. I would have seen a lack on focus on the general discussion and never of discovered the Think Tank and all that great stuff we have.

One last thing... stop trying to change the lay-out. It's good how it has been for the past ten billion years, or so. It's what we're used to and it's optimal for getting people's attention. This is a decision done just because we want to change something... we got a really cool chat box, why rush more things? And in all honesty, this is not a decision that improves upon anything. It's just making our topics narrower. But some of us are thinking, "Oh shut up Pasidon... it's just making everything one click away!" Well that one click is seriously degrading to my experience here. And in even more honesty, might actually make me loose interest in the community topics. Or everything outside of them... I may just bookmark the 'general discussion' category and just only check that, and only that. That would really be crummy for me. And also... now that we have a chat box, it makes me want all of the community topics back on the front page so I can use the chat and keep up with them at the same time. I'll seriously be enraged if this decision lasts a week. It is barkingly ludicrous.

#4 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  •  Thought Police
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:39 PM

Wow, massive overreaction :p

With that out of the way, I acknowledge your distaste for the change. I can also see where you're coming from in that it is indeed harder to see if you were the last one to post in all of the community topics. Annoying as it is for you, it's probably an improvement for the rest of us. There's hardly anything going on in the community section these days, and having a huge list of empty forums at the top of the page doesn't make it very inviting. I agree with all the people in the Death of Revora thread that said we should rather have fewer forums with more activity than a barren wasteland where nobody goes to post any more. Without having the statistics to back it up, I dare say most of us don't come here for a handful of topics in the community section, but go read their relevant topics in the T3A or Guild sub-forums instead.

That said, this is a test. I'm going to leave it like this for at least one week and then we can make an analysis of how many people agree or disagree with the change before we make it final.

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

#5 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:30 PM

So I should expect at least a 20% activity increase or something? I dunno what ticks me off more... the fact I have to wait another 20 minutes for the community section to load just so I can see them (I forgot to mention my slow internet makes this terrible in even more ways), or the fact that people actually think clearing 12cm of space on the front page will actually accomplish something. This is serious bull-crap...

Edited by {IP}Pasidon, 30 September 2012 - 10:30 PM.

#6 Banshee

Banshee

One Vision, One Purpose!

• Network Admins
  • 9,045 posts
  • Projects:PPM, PPM: Final Dawn, OS SHP Builder, OS Palette Editor, OS W3D Viewer, VXLSE III, etc...
  •  Retired Network Leader
  • Job:Maintenance Admin

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:25 AM

Honestly, I agree with Pasidon regarding the community forums. It's better the old way. Unlike him, I don't mind if the current organization stays. But he made a better usage of the community section that I did recently.
Project Perfect Mod

Command & Conquer Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, Tools, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

Posted Image

#7 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:07 PM

Looks nice and easy to find what you're after. Disapprove of the shoutbox, though. Shoutboxes are generally quite distracting and are bigger spam magnets than the rest of the forum put together.

#8 Elric

Elric

Designer

• Hosted
  • 2,857 posts
  • Projects:Middle-Earth Expanded
  •  Coder
  • Donated

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:54 PM

I love the shout box haha its like a larger community I.M system which i love!!

#9 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:10 AM

Yea, the shoutbox is a fantastic idea, but it isn't quite formulated into the forum design yet. It's just sort of there. That's something that needs working on, as opposed to the forum layout, which has been designed for years and was very well presented.

#10 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Job:Leader

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:17 AM

Pasidon, stop being so grumpy. You're getting me down.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#11 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:51 AM

I'm always grumpy I'll be even more so if people keep being absolutely retarded and supporting this terrible forum layout. On that note, the week is nearly up.

#12 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Job:Leader

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:08 AM

Well I like it.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#13 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:17 AM

It's not a matter of people liking it, it's a matter of it actually being productive. Narrowing the influence of the community section makes our general viewers less interested in it, and I would rather people get involved in the community rather than in the divisions.

#14 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:16 AM

It's been a week... get to the decision already.

#15 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:10 PM

SAKE... can we please stick to the schedules we make? We're not doing a very keen job on proving that Revora isn't understaffed if we can't stop by and make a sodding decision.

#16 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  •  Thought Police
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:45 PM

We never had a schedule. If you read my post correctly, I said at least one week. However, it looks like we're going ahead with this change.

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

#17 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:28 PM

**** this crap. I can make a mountain of sense on why it's a terrible idea, have no one debating me and my clear dialectic advantage just gets ignored. The only counter argument against me was Mati saying, "Well I like it.". We're making a decision without thinking... I don't care how many centimeters of space it saves. I have chosen to dedicate time to this debate, so respect it. And if this decision ends up being official without a single good debate against me, then you all loose my administrative opinions.

#18 Ash

Ash

Foxtrot Oscar.

• Undead
  • 15,526 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm
  •  Keep calm and carry on.

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:55 PM

Pasidon, does it take conscious effort for you to be such a fuckknuckle, or is it just innate? You're actually making a jaded oldbie like me not want to come here. Imagine what that's doing for all the newbies who don't really have any sort of vested interest in the place's survival?

It's not even that you bitch almost as much as I do. It's that you're so goddamn pretentious and up your own ass about it that even if I agreed 100% with what you say I would find myself on principle forced to join the other side. Is it lonely up there on that lofty fucking pedestal?

#19 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:44 AM

I appreciate mean-time Ashy, but I'm trying to hold a serious discussion here for once. But why ruin a good moment when it looks like your pen pals don't want to debate The Pasidon, and he knows why... they can't. It's check-mate for them. I won the debate on why this decision is a bad idea, and that's simply because no one can counter me. And I keep an eye on the topic views... I know you people have been in here. So either we're too scared to counter me, and I don't blame you, or we're simply not showing up for the fight. Either way, that's proving Pasidon right once again. You know... it feels great to be incredibly hansom and intelligent... and no one able to do a thing about it. But we're not going to reverse this decision cuz most of us are clueless. Heh... am I right? So how about we spend a little less time using naughty adult words and actually shut me up by beating me in a debate? Oh, that's right... YOU CAN'T! Bah ha ha ha!

And you know what? Ashy here convinced me that I shouldn't give up debating in these forum maintenance topics just because none of you can't compete with me. That's just rude. You'll keep getting my opinions until this place is fixed or dead since the community around here is better than any other forum, and I'd rather not let this place choke. And I'm just gonna' keep beating the living marrow out of these topics until we start getting it right...

#20 Banshee

Banshee

One Vision, One Purpose!

• Network Admins
  • 9,045 posts
  • Projects:PPM, PPM: Final Dawn, OS SHP Builder, OS Palette Editor, OS W3D Viewer, VXLSE III, etc...
  •  Retired Network Leader
  • Job:Maintenance Admin

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:25 AM

All of you.... go get a life. I don't like this forum change either, but people are ok with it... so leave it.
Project Perfect Mod

Command & Conquer Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, Tools, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users