#1 Radspakr Wolfbane

Radspakr Wolfbane

The John Farnham of modding

• Members
  • 7,722 posts
  • Projects:Comeback tour
  •  The Retired Beard

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:09 AM

In the last ten years the Zombie film and game genre has increased in popularity.
I am not a fan of the genre and find it disturbing.

In Zombie movies and the like you are killing them en masse and usually in very violent ways, sometimes it's people familiar to the protagonists.
It makes me wonder why the genre is as popular as it is and if it could have a more sinister side to its popularity.
Zombies are essentially humans without the humanity which in turn removes the humanity of the protagonist/viewer to allow them to do things which not be moral or humane in other circumstances.
Zombies are also innocent participants whether they catch the virus that turns them or they come back from the dead they don't have control of their actions and lack free will.
So you have a case of the hero killing dozens of innocents in brutal fashion.
In the case of the virus strand of Zombies why kill Zombies when you can try to cure them?
Is it right to kill Zombies?

Break dancing into the hearts of millions

#2 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

LEGO Knight of Minas Ithil

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  • Projects:Mapping this Middle-earth
  •  Mapper
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:50 AM

Yes it is right to kill zombies, just as it was right to trial and jail the people involved in the holocaust. There is also the survival factor.
There is a movie/tv series we where discussing earlier on this year at collage so I should ask my friends if they can recall it. Basically, one part of it involved this sick girl keeping her zombified and de-teethed boyfriend in a barn so she could still see him.
Regardless, I do not like this new culture, and it is especially prevalent now as you say. I grew sick of it just as I grew sick of 'good' vampires. I don't care if they are pansy wimps, the very fact they are trying to make something evil by nature into something 'cool'.

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

#3 Irenë Hawnetyne

Irenë Hawnetyne

-

• Hosted
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:48 PM

Whilst I myself am not one of the complete zombie-killing-slash-zombie-apocalypse nutters, I like my fair share, namely The Walking Dead and Charlie Higson's The Enemy series.
I don't think they've been made just because it's a good example of 'how to get used to killing millions of people', but really to show the reaction of the few survivors.

However, I do also agree that the merciless massacre of people, even supposed 'dead' ones, shouldn't become something of a modern norm. Should've stayed as a more or less underground culture.

"Everyone's a hero when there's nowhere left to run."

Auxiliary Skarn, 2333rd Cohort

#4 Banshee

Banshee

One Vision, One Purpose!

• Network Admins
  • 9,045 posts
  • Projects:PPM, PPM: Final Dawn, OS SHP Builder, OS Palette Editor, OS W3D Viewer, VXLSE III, etc...
  •  Retired Network Leader
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Maintenance Admin

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:08 PM

Zombies are not the evil. Politicians are the real root of evil.
Project Perfect Mod

Command & Conquer Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, Tools, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

Posted Image

#5 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  • Projects:Red-Resurrection
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:12 PM

No I don't like movies and such that are simply gory zombie massacres, it's pointless and really not fun. I don't understand why it's popular either. Don't get me wrong, I love horror and zombies can be great if used properly, ie original The Evil Dead, Day of the Dead, 28 Days Later, first few Resident Evil games (the films are shite and genuinely make me nerdrage). Obviously Evil Dead and 28 Days aren't technically zombies but I'm gonna include them :p. There should always be something melancholy about a zombie, that's kind of the whole point; they are resurrected corpses, unable to die and likewise unable to live. Surely enjoying a zombie massacre is like enjoying cattle being slaughtered.

Yes it is right to kill zombies, just as it was right to trial and jail the people involved in the holocaust.

Huh? Surely the zombies are the victims in this holocaust metaphor.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#6 Radspakr Wolfbane

Radspakr Wolfbane

• Members
  • 7,722 posts
  •  The Retired Beard

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:12 PM

Politicians are the real root of evil.

Pfft I never get credit for anything.

#7 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

LEGO Knight of Minas Ithil

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  • Projects:Mapping this Middle-earth
  •  Mapper
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:25 PM

I thought over my statement regarding this and need to clarify.

Yes it is right to kill zombies, just as it was right to trial and jail the people involved in the holocaust.

Huh? Surely the zombies are the victims in this holocaust metaphor.

It's a case of who became the victim for mass murdering first. An outbreak involves zombification before anybody has a means of killing them.
Technically the zombies kill first.

Edited by MattTheLegoman, 28 October 2012 - 01:26 PM.

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

#8 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:41 PM

But something must turn them into zombies for slaughter first: ie Hitler and friends. Surely the "evil" of the Nazis was that they very consciously made the decision to commit genocide and reduce much of the Human race deemed inferior into mince meat. Zombies by definition can't be evil since they have no consciousness with which to make decisions, so how can they ever deserve to be killed as much as some conspiring mass-murdering lunatics. Surely the point of this whole topic is questioning the morality of people who enjoy watching the violent killing of creatures who are unable to defend themselves: ie animals.

Posted Image

#9 Irenë Hawnetyne

Irenë Hawnetyne

-

• Hosted
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:39 PM

Surely, using the same logic, Hitler's actions can be explained, even through lunacy.
As you say, zombies have no consciousness, and naturally decide to kill people, rather like a psychopath (definition: a person suffering from chronic mental disorder with abnormal or violent social behavior.). Shouldn't the same be applied by Hitler's decision to kill people, he had no morality, just as a zombie does. Or would if it existed. Anyway, Hitler's disregard is rather similar to the zombie's way of thinking, no?

"Everyone's a hero when there's nowhere left to run."

Auxiliary Skarn, 2333rd Cohort

#10 Radspakr Wolfbane

Radspakr Wolfbane

• Members
  • 7,722 posts
  •  The Retired Beard

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:24 PM

Hitler had morality it just varied greatly from most Zombies lack that because they lack humanity and free will.

#11 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:04 PM

There's a difference between conscience and consciousness. Psychopaths are very conscious, just perhaps lack conscience. And of course Hitlers actions can be explained, I doubt they were arbitrary choices but that's a very different discussion :p.

I mean Day of the Dead really explores some of this. A big chunk of the plot is around a scientist training a zombie to relearn basic communicative skills and training it not to act solely on impulse (so it doesn't eat him). Then of course the (perhaps) less human military guys destroy it all out of fear. Definately my favourite Romero 'Dead' movie. Great soundtrack too. :p

Edited by OmegaBolt, 28 October 2012 - 06:09 PM.

Posted Image

#12 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:08 PM

I don't get the point of this. A zambie is just like any other diseased person... you axe them in the face until they stop trying to infect you.

#13 Guest_Zombeh_*

Guest_Zombeh_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:04 AM

To clear things out,

Why do we fear zombies
because its something unseen that can spread through various ways, the though of being a mindless flesh muncher on top of the mass horde of mindless gnashing teeth of former humans, humans like yourself who have fallen

Are Zombies evil?
no, majority of zombie myth is that they are mindless creatures (not always human), evil coems from free-will and choice, not mindless actions
the question beneath that is, what do you consider evil?
some zombies are mindless like the living dead, stumbling around and "noming" on anything that moves.
the main type these days are virus infected zombies which are sensitive to being enraged and their brains are fried in the process leaving basic instincts or only motor functions. some are capable of minor free-will in some situations but they tend to be the 'higher ranked' zombies then the normal rabble

Why do we love watching zombies die?
seeing a few survivors being challenged by the out numbering odds and detours they must endure to survive. its that sense of thrill, challenge and taking on soemthing bigger then yourself is what the end goal is for, and taking them out in bloody or creative ways without being monotonous is rather joyful, its kind of like saying "fuck you" to that guy that's bigger then you

-DIGI

#14 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:37 AM

Regardless, I'll still AXE them a question... about their faces...

#15 Radspakr Wolfbane

Radspakr Wolfbane

• Members
  • 7,722 posts
  •  The Retired Beard

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:50 AM

In weird timing Glove and Boots release this.

#16 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:11 AM

Video response:

#17 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Artist

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:35 AM

No more evil than a virus. Evil is most of the time a human thing to worry about, so if you are not human or sentient you can't be evil. Zombies are no more evil than wolves or hippos.

It's our minds that paints evil onto things that are a threat to us. Also, I'd say that knowing the difference between good or evil and choosing evil makes for a more viscious sort of evil, a treasonous act against humanity is usually worse than being turned into a mindless lump of flesh that has no say in what its instincts tell it to.

Edited by duke_Qa, 29 October 2012 - 09:37 AM.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users