Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:55 AM

So it's been rumored that AMD, the lesser popular graphics card manufacturing company, is laying off several employees, including quite a few engineers. That means they may not last much longer. And there is a problem with that.

There's really not alot of competition in the graphics card development world. You have AMD, NVIDIA and Intel. AMD could match NIVIDIA cards in power while Intel is and probably will always be the weaker of the three. Now with AMD going under, that leaves NIVIDIA unmatched in power. That's not a good thing on a business standpoint.. not for the consumer anyway. That means NIVIDIA will be unchecked and can pretty much not have anything matching them. It leaves less reason for ingenuity or price cutting. If you don't have someone being a competitor in the same market.... guhhh.... you can pretty much market whatever you want at any price. Intel is fine, but are infinity inferior to NIVIDIA cards. So yea, that's terrifying. Merry Scareday, everyone.

#2 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Artist

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:08 AM

I'd be more worried about CPU monopoly than GPU monopoly, since AMD is also the second big CPU producer that have not been having much luck the last 3-5 years. If I had to choose a monopoly, I'd prefer a GPU one because they seem more frail to competing tech than CPUs are at this day and age.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users