• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Irenë Hawnetyne

Irenë Hawnetyne

-

• Hosted
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:47 PM

OK, for a while now, I've been looking at a lot of speedpaintings and the like, and they seem to be made most popularly by owners of graphics tablets. Now, it may sound silly to one in the know, but how do you differentiate between a tablet (eg. Asus TF300) and a graphics tablet?
Not only that, are they user-friendly, worth their cost, and efficient?

Preferably I'd like to hear this from an owner, but any information would be helpful.

"Everyone's a hero when there's nowhere left to run."

Auxiliary Skarn, 2333rd Cohort

#2 Starkku

Starkku

Putting the Pro' in 'Procrastination'

• Hosted
  • 434 posts
  • Projects:Project Phantom
  •  Developer of Project Phantom mod for C&C: Yuri's Revenge.

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:29 PM

You seem to have a major misconception going on there. Tablet computer is not a same thing as graphics tablet, not even close, except sometimes in a shape perhaps. Former is a mobile computing device. Latter is an input device where you usually use a stylus pen to draw on a surface and whatever you draw is digitized and can be used by graphics editing software like Photoshop, for an example. And that's probably just an one way to use them. Considering that it can be considerably easier to draw things in the old-fashioned way rather than in an graphics editing software using the built-in drawing tools, I am not surprised why artists opt for use of such device.

Read more here and consult Google if necessary.

Edited by Starkku, 18 November 2012 - 07:32 PM.

eWPQbKY.png

#3 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Artist

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:47 PM

Be careful about the terminology yeah. As far as I'm concerned, there's only one way to draw and thats on a piece of hardware with the Wacom name on it.
Most popular is the intuos, economic bamboo, and with a screen cintiq.

my most spent tablet is probably my intuos 4 medium, though I wish to buy a intuos 5 touch large, since it implements touch and multi-touch functionality. I also got a cintiq 24 HD I bought for christmas last year, but its not been a terrible useful buy as of yet. I need to get my work-rig up to use it properly, which I've yet to do.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#4 Radspakr Wolfbane

Radspakr Wolfbane

The John Farnham of modding

• Members
  • 7,722 posts
  • Projects:Comeback tour
  •  The Retired Beard

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:54 PM

But the Wacom stuff is veeeeery pricy.

Basically a good middle price range will do and ask around for opinions on them.

Break dancing into the hearts of millions

#5 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:19 PM

you have to expect to spend around $400-600 for an acceptable one, a price not too bad up here but probably worse out there.

But it is hands-down a tool well worth the cash, and you can pretty much sell it for the same price 3-4 years afterwards. Not your average computer half-life.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#6 Irenë Hawnetyne

Irenë Hawnetyne

-

• Hosted
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:18 AM

ok, thanks for replying guys, there's a lot to ponder here. And so, I shall ponder.

"Everyone's a hero when there's nowhere left to run."

Auxiliary Skarn, 2333rd Cohort

#7 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:40 AM

The Intuos 5 touch medium costs like $349 here, which isn't really a terrible price.

If you go to some seller-site or find a intuos 4, that might be even cheaper, and you can manage without the touch-functionality(and I'm a big fan of the buttons on the intuos4)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users