• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 njm1983

njm1983

title available

• Project Team
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:08 AM

I found this Map online, It appears to combine recent versions of middle earth and Beleriand, in a way that I think is pretty accurate. I wanted to ask if it is accurate?

Ive been racking my brain as to the locations of Belegost and Nogrod during the 3rd age for some time, whether they were sunk in the gulf of Lhun or not. this map atleast confirms they both should exist in some state during the 3rd age.

Posted Image

#2 mike_

mike_

Student of Homer.

• Global Moderators
  • 4,323 posts
  • Projects:The Peloponnesian Wars Mod.
  •  There are no heroes, no villains - only decisions.
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Global Moderator

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:55 AM

Very cool map. IIRC those old Dwarf cities weren't abandoned in the Second and Third Ages, but had diminished greatly from their prosperous state in the First Age. I want to say that Thorin and the survivors of Erebor lived in or near them in the Blue Mountains...

#3 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

LEGO Knight of Minas Ithil

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  • Projects:Mapping this Middle-earth
  •  Mapper
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:06 AM

Beleriand looks very large in this map. I have seen another that has the 'extension' quite small.

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

#4 Naugrim.

Naugrim.
  • Members
  • 127 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:34 AM

Thorin did live in the Blue Mountains, however he calls his halls "poor lodgings in exile", so he probably didn't live in either of those great dwarven cities. Even if they were old and fallen apart, he probably would have had a higher opinion of them.

#5 _Haldir_

_Haldir_

Mapper

• Project Team
  • 1,203 posts
  • Projects:The Dwarf Holds, The Elven Alliance: Community Edition
  •  T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:07 AM

Yeah, Beleriand in that map is quite out of proportion i think. Although it's not in English, this is probably the best map i've seen of the whole of Arda.

As for Nogrod and Belegost, i don't believe it's ever been stated in the canon whether or not they survived the sinking of Beleriand, or where they were exactly located. Though personally, i'd say that if they hadn't sunk with Beleriand, that the breaking and shifting of the Blue Mountains would have atleast collapsed them or buried them beneath the mountains. Otherwise, there's no real reason why the Dwarves wouldn't have attempted to return there sometime during the Second/Third Age, rather than flee to Khazad-dum as they did. And as Naugrim mentioned, it's unlikely that the halls in the Blue Mountains inhabited by Thorin would have been either Nogrod or Belegost.

Posted Image Posted Image

#6 njm1983

njm1983

title available

• Project Team
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:35 PM

Yeah your map is much closer to what I had thought it should look like. Appears more accurate etc, Though this increases the likely hood that the cities survived. They are much farther north now. Even with the Dwarves leaving to migrate to Moria its never stated that all the dwarves just left. Just that some did.

As for thorin, Did he stay in the north or south? Its a valid question since he mentions coal mining, theres no mention of mining in the northern part but rather its in the south.

#7 Námo

Námo

• Project Team
  • 1,291 posts
  • Projects:Middle-earth Lore, Cartography & Linguistics

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:36 PM

I wanted to ask if it is accurate?

Ive been racking my brain as to the locations of Belegost and Nogrod during the 3rd age for some time, whether they were sunk in the gulf of Lhun or not.

The only reliable way of aligning the map of Beleriand (First Age) with that of Middle-earth (third Age) is this:

Locate The Hill of Himring (First Age) and the island rock of Himling (Third Age) - those are identical geographic locations.

Measure the distance from Himring to the north-south axis of the Blue Mountains ... then apply this scale to the map of Beleriand.

As basis for determining the locations in the Third Age, use Tolkien's socalled 'First Map' as this is the most authentic, and basis for all later maps produced by his son and others. The relevant part of Middle-earth can be seen here:

Posted Image

Please note, that the course of the river Lhun was altered later, one of its sources originating about in the middle of the part of Ered Luin north of the Gulf of Lune, like shown on this map by Karen Wynn Fonstad:

Posted Image

Without going into details, you'll then be able to approximately locate the two renowned Dwarven stronholds on the Third Age map, as follows:

Nogrod from the middle of the northern range of Ered Luin to the northernmost part.

Belegost in the range of Ered Luin south of the Gulf of Lune. Tolkien has shown Belegost on his 'First Map' ;-)

These locations are clearly mentioned in the text of The Silmarillion ... Cristopher Tolkien didn't get his map of Beleriand quite right on concerning the two Dwarves strongholds - a fact he has confirmed later, in History of Middle-earth.

Edited by Námo, 28 December 2012 - 08:05 PM.

... elen síla lúmenn´ ómentielvo ...
... a star shines on the hour of our meeting ...
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users