#1 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  • Projects:BFME2 - Nazgûl's Special Extended Edition
  •  Veteran

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:52 AM

This is the topic for discussing Inns (obviously). I thought we had one of those from before, but I can't find it, so... Anyway, my thoughts on these are as follows:
  • Inns are basically a variation of creeps/lairs. The biggest difference is that
    - they don't have units guarding them
    - instead of using a allegiance spell, you capture it
  • There is a limited number of units/hordes that actually fits (suits) to be inside an inn, with humans. Realistically we should restrict it to only house humans from good factions (Gondor and Rohan) and perhaps dwarven and elven units. I can't really see neither Easterlings nor Haradrim to be hanging around in an Inn. And I defenitely can't see goblins, orcs or uruks to be stationed there for recruitment.

Considering the amount of new creeps/lairs planned, I think they fill a much bigger need for variety and exciting maps in SEE, than the concept of having ONE - I repeat ONE - single capturable structure that should house a huge variety of units for recruitment. The structure itself is great, and should be used but maybe only limited to special maps like Minas Tirith and such. But I don't really "feel" for it, when it comes to general maps. In Fords of Isen, there is an Inn right next to the Troll Cave. How realistic is that? We can move them around, but I can't say I'm happy with the idea of one structure for all those extra units. So, instead we could make sure that all factions have some way of controlling creeps. Either via spell book, or via some hero, or possibly unit/horde. Good factions for good creeps and evil factions for evil creeps (dont wanna see orcs control ents for instance).

Thoughts?

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
"Do not come between the Nazgûl and his mod!"
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I S.E.E. YOU! <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#2 njm1983

njm1983

title available

• Project Team
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:20 AM

I agree with you on most points. The inns and outposts are out of place on rural maps and enemy territories. They work great in villages and towns.
As for the types of units that are recruited: Again it follows the logic of where they get placed. Inns themsleves are generally in places that have human dwarf or hobbit inhabitants, So it follows that the recruitables should be as such. Now if you had men of a less unsavory nature then they could be aquirable for the evil factions.

For instance: In the book FOTR there is a squint eyed southerner in the INN of the Prancing Pony, He is a sort of spy for Saruman. Perhaps a unit of this type could be recruitable. He could have an inherent invisibility and have some spy type abilities.
Corsairs would still work just fine.

Id actually like some capturables that give healing or a buff to defense. These would be nice for maps with ruins.

Edited by njm1983, 31 December 2012 - 04:24 AM.

#3 Mordor Slayer

Mordor Slayer

SEE Marketing Manager

• Project Team
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:49 AM

Maybe let the good factions recruit a drunk Boromir, who's only power is a permanently enabled Last Stand ability while yelling drunken slurs.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 Ridder Geel

Ridder Geel

Master Yelloh

• T3A Staff
  • 10,852 posts
  • Projects:RC Mod + SEE + RTS Engine
  •  The Dangerous T3A Team Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:40 AM

Oh yes a drunk Boromir should be fun :D
Ridder Geel

#5 Námo

Námo

• Project Team
  • 1,291 posts
  • Projects:Middle-earth Lore, Cartography & Linguistics

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:22 PM

Maybe let the good factions recruit a drunk Boromir ...

Oh sweet wonder, an Extra_Beer_Upgrade ... Cheers!

... which reminds me of Fingulfin's Extra_Beer_Upgrade! - to be honest: I've been sneaking around in the corners of 'The Green Dragon' for more than two years now, hoping that he would deliver on that promise ...

A brilliant idea by Fingulfin! I rather hope that every faction will be supplied with some humerous upgrades.

...I can't really see neither Easterlings nor Haradrim to be hanging around in an Inn. And I defenitely can't see goblins, orcs or uruks to be stationed there for recruitment ...
Thoughts?

The following record leaves no doubt about the Orcs visiting inns; it's from an usually reliable source (though I haven't found the dialog in Tolkien's own writings yet):

Time: March 9, 3019 TA. Very late evening.

MRS. GORBAG: Ah, here ya are! What have ya in ya puny brain again, eh? ... dat man has nothing in his mind than to hang around with his brainless Nazgûl pals again!

GORBAG: Sorry, Darling, but 'twas important. We haff plans, great plans. I couldn't stay aside when ...

MRS. GORBAG: Nag nag nag! Out dat Orc would go and invade a little, eh? And have a nice stop at each inn between the Cirith and Belfalas meanwhile? Now dat he would like, yes! I told ya ya work today, and if ya don't listen I tell ya one thing and one time only: ya will see no pub from inside for the rest of the month!

GORBAG: But Daaaaaarling! Everyone is going, even the Morgul Lord is going, gonna be a heck of a celebrity down there, and I will be no good Orc if I don't drink my ...

MRS. GORBAG: So all are going, eh? And what do ya haff in ya mind again, eh? Ya go and amuse yaselves, and we gals will do all the household alone again, or what? But I tell ya, no way, man. Ya will not go for fun at the Pelennor!

Ya go now! And don't get any idea to try again and drink that fellow Shagrat under the table! I can still hear ya squeaking when ya had had that headache last time from all the Dorwinion wine. Ya Orc guys always think ya die when ya have little bit of pain! Read my lips: no unnecessary stops! Haff ya understood that?

GORBAG: Just a tiny pint of beer before ...?

MRS. GORBAG: GET OUT OF HERE NOW !!!

And that is why Orcs behave the way they do when they are abroad ...

Note: This record was first published in rec.art.sbooks.tolkien at December 25, 1995.

Edited by Námo, 31 December 2012 - 12:50 PM.

... elen síla lúmenn´ ómentielvo ...
... a star shines on the hour of our meeting ...
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#6 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:54 PM

@NJM, yeah I know, the logic of the Inns units are strongly connected to the territory they're in. The problem is that I can't really see this ONE single structure being flaunted al over the place without being annoyed. SO either we should "scrap" it and just keep it for certain maps where they really do fit in. Or, we should ad at least one more structure, to accomodate evil troopers.

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
"Do not come between the Nazgûl and his mod!"
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I S.E.E. YOU! <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

#7 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:17 PM

Well, you could make a shabby structure that turns into a nice, restored building for Good sides, and turns into something else for Evil sides. Ie, tear down the walls and create an orc pit below. That sort of thing.
And you could even make different things for different sides, so that Easterlings have a restored building too, and not an orc pit. And elves could have some trees too.

It would still be one structure, but with many possibilities.

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#8 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:59 PM

^ best idea so far.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#9 double 0 b

double 0 b
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:02 PM

I think that each faction should have it's own unique unit or two from the inn. Like Nazgul said they should all be human. I'm also for the idea of removing them from maps where they would otherwise be out of place.

My suggestion of units would be something along the lines of:
Gondor - Southern Fiefdom units, e.g. Dol Amroth or Pelargir
Rohan - [possibly] Drúedain (although I'm not sure if this one fits lore-wise)
Lorien - Dunedain
Erebor - Men of Dale (unless they are being kept as Erebor mini-faction/summon) or Beornings
Mordor - Corsairs of Umbar
Isengard - Dunlendings (not Wildmen, but almost similar in style to Rohirrim)
Moria - I really am stumped for these guys, perhaps they could loot it, or it can be garrisoned when captured ?
Harad - Mahud warriors (http://sistema.warzone.com.ar/upload/articulo_g_3146.jpg) [perhaps I've been spending too much time in Games Workshop haha !]
Rhun - Khand mercenaries

Lauri's idea is also quite cool, reminds me capturing outposts in bfme1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users