Nertea

...lo sa raptor!

• Hosted
  • 3,349 posts
  • Projects:Star Villains and Space heroes, The Dwarf Holds
  •  T3A Chamber Member
  • Division:BFME/Unity

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:03 PM

We (well, mostly Alex) have just finished putting together our first trailer! It has some cinematic and also ingame footage - probably the first we've shown off publicly, so you should all  go check it out!

Let us know what you think!

sig.png
I really don't do requests and my Arnor Soldier is not fit for BFME. Don't ask me for either.

#2 Bart

Bart

• Network Admins
  • 8,524 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Network Leader

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:44 PM

That looks nice. Shared it on Facebook immediately :)

Two pointies:

- I think the ships' rotational acceleration is too high. Even though it is of course physically possible, if you have large enough thrusters, it just doesn't look as expected massive (space)ship behaviour and, for me, breaks the illusion of them having a lot of mass (as opposed to being hollow polygon models :p). Also, I imagine the people inside would tip over a lot  :smile2ap:

- I'm really missing sound effects, but I'm sure you will have those eventually (unless you're going for realistic space physics there too). Good sounds really add to the atmosphere:

bartvh | Join me, make your signature small!
Einstein: "We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

#3 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  • Projects:Revora, C&C:Online
  •  Thought Police
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:44 PM

Looks very nice. You can see the professional attitudes behind the project.

About the trailer: I found the labelled parts at the end to be a bit too short. You see "Capital Ships" and expect a few different scenes but all you get is 2-3 seconds of a single scene before it switches to "Space Physics" and so on.

What's the name of the tune, by the way? I want to listen to it some more :p

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

Sieben Elefanten hatte Herr Dschin
Und da war dann noch der achte.
Sieben waren wild und der achte war zahm
Und der achte war's, der sie bewachte.

#4 Nertea

Nertea

...lo sa raptor!

• Hosted
  • 3,349 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:58 PM

Aha, thanks guys!

- I think the ships' rotational acceleration is too high. Even though it is of course physically possible, if you have large enough thrusters, it just doesn't look as expected massive (space)ship behaviour and, for me, breaks the illusion of them having a lot of mass (as opposed to being hollow polygon models :p). Also, I imagine the people inside would tip over a lot  :smile2ap:

This really depends on the universe. We're going for more of a "thruster size to weight ratio determines rotation" feel. The EMPOL ships have very large thrusters, so they have very good rotational rates. Some other ships have really small engines, and so really suffer with the turning.

- I'm really missing sound effects, but I'm sure you will have those eventually (unless you're going for realistic space physics there too). Good sounds really add to the atmosphere:

We pulled the SFX for this one. Don't worry, we've got lots of pew pews and explosions :p.

What's the name of the tune, by the way? I want to listen to it some more :p

Alex composed it for the trailer :). If you like it, you should like the rest of the soundtrack!

More video will likely be forthcoming!

sig.png
I really don't do requests and my Arnor Soldier is not fit for BFME. Don't ask me for either.

#5 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  •  Thought Police
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:21 PM

Like it? I'm hooked already!

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

#6 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:26 PM

I was fully astounded. Nert, you have never failed to impress me. Great work man. Everything is a work in progress. I know sound is important but we also know sound doesn't travel through a vacuum. Really nice work bro...

#7 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Job:Artist

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:52 PM

About mass and speed, they had the same problems in the transformers movies: They want speed for the action, but they want slowness to show the size. They usually had higher speed during close-combat and then slower in far-away shots and where humans were involved.

Beyond that its a pretty damn impressive trailer. Looking very good!

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#8 Gen.Kenobi

Gen.Kenobi

I'm a doc, not an...

• Undead
  • 1,429 posts
  • Projects:Survive Med School
  •  Your Doc
  • Job:Hosting Admin

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:33 AM

I jaw-dropped! Amazing work so far. The GUI and controls, camera disposition reminded me vaguely of Star Trek: Starfleet Command. I like that.

Well, as the others already said, I think that the thursters are an issue... You know... the way the big/capital ships are turning now, feel like they're just small fighters. Some weight should be taken in consideration...

This video is a nice example:

Anyways, I wish you all the very best! Keep amazing us all!

kudos to Pasidon for this awesome avvy and siggy!

#9 Alex Catamo

Alex Catamo
  • Hosted
  • 6 posts
  • Projects:Star Villains and Space Heroes

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:45 AM

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I'm super happy to hear everyone's responses. Force Majeure, I just uploaded the full version of the trailer track to our soundcloud, it's also got all the tracks I've put together so far for the demo. 

Regarding the physics, I think my favorite part of this discussion going on, is that I was afraid we would have a harder time finding people who care about things like space physics. It warms my heart.

I put together a little video of a battle going on without all the camera movement from the trailer, which I think exaggerates the motion a little. This is how a pretty medium ship moves around ingame when you’re flying it. Should give you a good idea of how they feel to fly.

In game preview

And if you want slower, bigger ships than this, they’re defiantly
coming =)... *cough* pic.twitter.com/5wiq2YDM

Edited by Alex Catamo, 31 January 2013 - 07:45 AM.

#10 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:18 AM

Oh wow... a trailer that actually shows gameplay.  That's rare for today's standards.  

#11 Phil

Phil

Force Majeure

• Network Leaders
  • 7,976 posts
  •  Thought Police
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:40 AM

Force Majeure, I just uploaded the full version of the trailer track to our soundcloud, it's also got all the tracks I've put together so far for the demo.

You rock. Downloaded and imported into iTunes. This is going to be perfect music for programming :p

revorapresident.jpg
My Political Compass

#12 Gen.Kenobi

Gen.Kenobi

I'm a doc, not an...

• Undead
  • 1,429 posts
  •  Your Doc

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

The soundtrack is freaking amazing!

The gameplay video does answers some questions, and it's interesting how you  guys are using the engines as thursters. It's not a bad thing, it just feels somehow, weird, considering those are destroyers, cruisers, dreagnoughts, capital ships... Imagine the amount of force and energy that one would have to spend to invert the engine flow and the turning ratios, the impact on the ship's structure, hull, ect? :)

Just some constructive criticsm. The game already looks awesome, I personaly, can't wait to play, just these small details that bugs me a little. ;)

#13 Dc.ZCochrain

Dc.ZCochrain
  • Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:02 PM

This is Grait Alex. It's Me the Grait Dc.Z

well guys this gram is grait i was the first person outside the progect to play it.

plus i am posibly a guy hwo disighned a speshes in the Solonar

Edited by Nertea, 31 January 2013 - 09:05 PM.
Merged double post

#14 Nertea

Nertea

...lo sa raptor!

• Hosted
  • 3,349 posts
  •  T3A Chamber Member

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:57 AM

The gameplay video does answers some questions, and it's interesting how you  guys are using the engines as thursters. It's not a bad thing, it just feels somehow, weird, considering those are destroyers, cruisers, dreagnoughts, capital ships... Imagine the amount of force and energy that one would have to spend to invert the engine flow and the turning ratios, the impact on the ship's structure, hull, ect? :)

Just some constructive criticsm. The game already looks awesome, I personaly, can't wait to play, just these small details that bugs me a little. ;)

Well, in this kind of game, that kind of "small detail" is pretty much the entire game :p. We're constantly fine tuning the physics to make it look nice and to play well. The fact is that the super-slow turning ships aren't quite as fun to play with. Sure, eventually we'll have carriers and battleships with many turrets and systems to manage, but the basic cruiser like the one seen in that video that has a limited number of weapons and abilities. There wouldn't be much to do other than mash the mouse buttons if you couldn't maneuver rapidly.

To make really slow combat "work" I'd rather have something more along the lines of an RTT game, which I'd of course like to do too someday :p. Just not right now.

I'm hoping that playing the demo will convince you that this is fun also :).

I had a request for a screenshot or two of the GUI from someone so I've uploaded a trio of new screenshots to our Media page. They take place in our new Ice Nebula environment, which is pretty cool if I do say so myself.

sig.png

#15 Gen.Kenobi

Gen.Kenobi

I'm a doc, not an...

• Undead
  • 1,429 posts
  •  Your Doc

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:53 AM

Well, in this kind of game, that kind of "small detail" is pretty much the entire game :p. We're constantly fine tuning the physics to make it look nice and to play well. The fact is that the super-slow turning ships aren't quite as fun to play with. Sure, eventually we'll have carriers and battleships with many turrets and systems to manage, but the basic cruiser like the one seen in that video that has a limited number of weapons and abilities. There wouldn't be much to do other than mash the mouse buttons if you couldn't maneuver rapidly.

To make really slow combat "work" I'd rather have something more along the lines of an RTT game, which I'd of course like to do too someday :p. Just not right now.

Yeah! I couldn't agree more. However what I really miss is a visual thing. Thursters on the model. Right now looks like that it's only the engine that is making it turn, when, since it's a ship of that size, it should have some addtional thursters around the hull. On that video you can see that it's a small fighter, but it has a lot of thursters that visually(&dinamically) works, allowing it's turning rates.

If you could replicate something like that it would really be awesome. :)

That might be just me being picky :p Don't worry them. xD

#16 Alex Catamo

Alex Catamo
  • Hosted
  • 6 posts
  • Projects:Star Villains and Space Heroes

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:42 AM

Yeah, those little thrusters, called Reaction Control Thrusters, totally exist on the human ships. But they don't produce a visible effect on the scale of these big ships, like how you can’t see the Galactica’s reaction control thrusters firing when it’s maneuvering.

The big thrusters you can see are actually a by-product of the engine design on human ships. The idea is that they can reverse thrust forward or back, so that you don’t have to perform a 180 degree turn to fire thrusters against your direction of travel if you want to stop. Since they can fire both ways, they're also used to aid in rotation, like on a Starfury, but they're not the sole way a ship turns. Because they're the main drives, they produce a visible effect, but the reaction control thrusters don't really.

The other problem is that it would actually be a pretty non-trivial amount of GPU Cycles to allot to an effect which shouldn’t *technically* be visible. Since we are really into the details, we want to prioritize the graphical details which will best convey what we want to convey. Things Like little animated turrets, or unique explosions based on the atmospheric composition of the ships exploding. So don’t worry! There will be other details!

#17 Dc.ZCochrain

Dc.ZCochrain
  • Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:45 PM

GOOD

hey Alex Maby insted of turets on Solanar ships it could be like old battlships with cannons on the side

Edited by Alex Catamo, 02 February 2013 - 04:08 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users