• Division Leaders
  • 1,555 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring and the HD Editions
  •  Mathijs' Bug fix expert
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Leader

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:16 PM

So this discussion will be on whether or not to try to make units do :
- On Guard mode, Units will walk/march instead of run - also gain a boost in armor but a minus in speed ( all applies for Cavalry to).

- On the Default Mode, Units run but - default  .

- And On Aggressive mode, Units run but slightly faster - also gain a boost in damage.

I was interested in whether people would actually be interested in this kind of thing during gameplay. Because I might fix up the animations sooner or later to do them.

Edited by Rider of Rohan, 18 February 2013 - 09:16 PM.

99dxc486ltde132zg.jpgh5je9noaofg3o26zg.jpg

No parent should have to bury their child - King Theoden

#2 Naugrim.

Naugrim.
  • Members
  • 127 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:42 PM

I think TPW did something like this. Sounds like a good idea.

#3 Rider of Rohan

Rider of Rohan

The Lazy Modder

• Division Leaders
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:58 PM

Really, then imma check out their mod then :o .

#4 Bofur

Bofur

The Bolicious One

• Hosted
  • 1,766 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Firstborn
  •  The Bolicious T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:00 PM

Love it, but isn't Aggressive a little OP?

left64_by_obsidianlake-d5ruayp.pngAotF.pngright64_by_obsidianlake-d5ruf44.png

#5 Rider of Rohan

Rider of Rohan

The Lazy Modder

• Division Leaders
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:03 PM

Ah, sorry I left out the "lowers armor" bit. 

#6 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:48 PM

What we did in TPW, was this:

Phalanx (Guard): Super-slow, but stronger armour and resistant to knockback (ie, from enemy cavalry). Always a good idea to activate in battles.

March (Default): Like vanilla, only they march instead of run\jog. Default stance, no penalties or boosts. Decent speed (when you're used to the system).

Run (Agressive): Increase in speed, decrease in armour. Really only used for pursuing fleeing enemies, and reinforcing battles. You can use it to get the enemy archers\peltasts, but you'll have to pay the price in blood.

Remember though, marching is crucial in our mod. You have more freedom there.

What I would do, is to remove the increased damage for the Agressive mode, and simply make them run faster. You shouldn't want to keep them on Agressive mode, but use it to reinforce an attack\defence.

In TPW we managed to integrate tactical decisions by using this system. Attack with a couple of hordes, flee with speed, ambush the enemy pursuing, etc.. You should think about the same things ;) The best things to add into your mod are the ones who get used.

Edited by Lauri, 18 February 2013 - 10:50 PM.

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#7 Rider of Rohan

Rider of Rohan

The Lazy Modder

• Division Leaders
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:25 PM

Great Mod just played it, I liked the system ! Aggressive Mode doesn't need the extra damage if the unit gains speed i guess. And the Idea of switching to Aggresive for retreat was the idea in mind infact, the Default would have been Ideal for Quick Skirmishing and of Course Guard Ideal for defending - depending on troop type and location.

#8 Duke

Duke

Doctor Doctor!

• Members
  • 420 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:32 AM

That sounds awesome, Lauri, I need to check out your mod!

Just to add my 2c, in regards to calvary - is it worth considering some increase to crushing on "aggressive"?

If we're talking physics: I mean, walking into a pike has a far less chance of killing you than galloping full speed into one - however there's just about no chance of trampling when walking.

So perhaps, as you say, no increase in attack but some sort of crushing bonus?

I'm possibly a little biased, I just love trampling massive armies to shit with a massive calvary force :p

#9 Rider of Rohan

Rider of Rohan

The Lazy Modder

• Division Leaders
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:59 AM

Calvary still have there weakness to pikemen.

Guard : No trample due to the units not going into a full charge but of course in crease in armor

Aggresive : The Increased Speed mean the Trample last longer so makes for an epic charge (not into pikes though XD)

#10 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  • Projects:It'sa secreeet
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Job:T3A Expert
  • Donated

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:41 AM

It's a tough system to get right. The only main issue is whether or not people will all three tactically. Chances are a player will just use one religiously and mold their strategy around it. While that may seem like a good thing it can lead to either a boring game where the opponent uses the same tactics time and time again. Or frustration because you can never counter the other when you need to. It works well in TPW because the overall pace is very slow, you have time to react to changes. Each style needs to be able to serve a legitimate purpose but have it be impossible for it to be used at all times.

From what I gather, your aggressive mode for cavalry makes them very much overpowered, not because of their armour but because of their incredible skirmishing ability. Even without this mode you'd be foolish to drive cavalry into pikes, and even still into heavy combat. So now in aggressive they're faster and can trample longer, sounds to me like the opponent will fly around the map just trashing everything while you're struggling to line up pikes. They'd never walk into that.

Edited by Kwen, 20 February 2013 - 10:42 AM.

https://www.twitch.tv/vileartist - Yes shameless self-promotion

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Old modders never die, they just fade away" ~ Hostile

#11 Rider of Rohan

Rider of Rohan

The Lazy Modder

• Division Leaders
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:15 PM

That depends on the type of Cavalry you have ;) Heavy Cavalry make up alot of the game e,g. Rivendell Lancers, Gondor and Dol Amroth Knights and,(Armoured)Spider Riders. Of course the ability modifier ini will have the different types of units in there which I will do as the mod continues. Medium and less already have their speed so it's just the decrease in armour and increase in trample. And the pace in THL I'd say is a medium, not as fast as before but not as slow as S.E.E. Heavy Infantry and Pikemen Are Ideal for Cavalry due to the fact they won't die as quickly. O and Some types of Cavalry in this mod are limited to prevent advantages.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users