Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  • Projects:BFME2 - Nazgûl's Special Extended Edition
  •  Veteran

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:36 PM

Pheeew! We're finally there... :aarambo:

This weekend is entirely (well as much as possible) dedicated to finishing Moria (excluding some postponded heavy coded things according to the ToDo list, that I really need help with) as to reaching the point of where I need serious beta testing help. I'm still plowing methodically and thorughly through the INIs to look for inconsistancys and misshaps, missing codes, duplicates, etc as well as general cleaning of the sometimes quite messy codes. The goal is to unify and make sure that all structures share the same coding just like the units should share the same coding, so that nothing is missing. I'm also aiming for cleaner codes so that bug searching, additions, removals and all kinds of alterations in the codes will come easier. There is a LOT to do when you're being this thorough. For instance, making sure all structure buildups and destruction anims are set, bibs for normal and snow maps, window lights and fire FX - as well as verifying unit and hero anims, reactions, behaviors, powers and abilities, audio, sounds and voices, art and buttons... etc etc etc  :view:

This is however, the best and ONLY way to make sure SEE is not only looking great, but also running great. Now, what I need is to assemble a team of really dedicated Beta Testers. My old SEE Team have included a staff of BT's, but as the years have gone by people have dropped off. I won't let just anybody in (no hard feelings) as this involves access to the private beta and the repository at Google repo as well as the SEE Staff forums. You will need to live up to the following things;

1) Be a serious SEE fan/player.

2) Have time to beta test at least a couple of times/week so you can deliver observations in a dedicated topic in staff somewhat regulary, as you find them. I have no need for BT's that pop up one/month or such.

3) Focus on Moria, and Moria alone! No other faction is ready for testing. This means "playing" with only Moria or Moria vs Moria.

4) Respect the material (assets) at hand and not "steal" anything to another mod without permission (most of our models are made for or given to SEE and may not be used elsewhere without permission from the modeler that made them, just as the coding belongs to me, my ex coder Sûl and/or my assistant coder Ridder Geel).

5) Understand that what is needed is tedious testing, and not playing. Build everything, observe costs, build times, strings, anims, FX, sounds... everything, and take notes of whatever you find or observe as you deem worthy to mention. I'll decide of it requires adjusting or fixing.

6) Be known at these forums, to me or someone that I know that can vouch for you.

7) Perhaps most importantly; know how to operate an SVN client (I use Tortoise SVN) and use it with a repo like our Google Repository.

My plan is to have Moria all set by july and during my 4 weeks vacation, I will finish Erebor faction so we can beta test Erebor in late august and release a playable and HIGHLY revised version of SEE by september, featuring Moria vs Erebor! This is my plan and I will do all I can to stick to it, depending on help from you with testing, from RG with some coding and perhaps most crucially from modelers with the models needed.

If you want to BT for SEE and if you agree to the terms above, apply here or via PM  :thumbsuphappy:

Edited by Nazgûl, 18 May 2013 - 12:39 PM.

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
"Do not come between the Nazgûl and his mod!"
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I S.E.E. YOU! <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#2 Bofur

Bofur

The Bolicious One

• Hosted
  • 1,766 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Firstborn
  •  The Bolicious T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:47 PM

I would, I really would. But you've picked a really bad time, just before I have 17 exams over 3 weeks...

But you know that anyone can download the SEE SVN, Naz? I was searching for some error on Google, and found it. I'll admit I had a look, but I thought I'd be crazy to have downloaded it, it's huge! It would take my Internet ages! And yes, you don't need to be added to the SVN to download it, that's just to commit to it.

Anyway, I'm really sorry I can't, I have to revise like hell!

left64_by_obsidianlake-d5ruayp.pngAotF.pngright64_by_obsidianlake-d5ruf44.png

#3 Rider of Rohan

Rider of Rohan

The Lazy Modder

• Division Leaders
  • 1,555 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring and the HD Editions
  •  Mathijs' Bug fix expert
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Leader

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:50 PM

I would like to apply ! But testing Erebor in August would be a treat for my Birthday in August :evgr: (5th) . I can make it for a couple of times a week. But after the 10th of June I'd be slowed down a bit. Just like Bofur said it is (or almost is) Exam time around these parts :p

99dxc486ltde132zg.jpgh5je9noaofg3o26zg.jpg

No parent should have to bury their child - King Theoden

#4 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:02 PM

I would, I really would. But you've picked a really bad time, just before I have 17 exams over 3 weeks...

But you know that anyone can download the SEE SVN, Naz? I was searching for some error on Google, and found it. I'll admit I had a look, but I thought I'd be crazy to have downloaded it, it's huge! It would take my Internet ages! And yes, you don't need to be added to the SVN to download it, that's just to commit to it.

Anyway, I'm really sorry I can't, I have to revise like hell!

I had no idea? I need to investigate on this as it seems completely crazy. What good is a repo if enyone can access your work???

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#5 Bofur

Bofur

The Bolicious One

• Hosted
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:35 PM

Well, it's definitely true, RG knows...

Edited by Bofur, 18 May 2013 - 01:35 PM.

#6 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

LEGO Knight of Minas Ithil

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  • Projects:Mapping this Middle-earth
  •  Mapper
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:37 PM

I should have my SEE videos going soon.

...But it's Mad May. (Which in Uni terms is the worst time to procrastinate.) ;p

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

#7 Bofur

Bofur

The Bolicious One

• Hosted
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 02:00 PM

Well, that's the thing, Naz. It's just that it's for "source code" or whatever that means.

They're allowed to SEE it (SEE what I did there? :p), but not change it. I think it's to encourage people to work together, or something like that. Or to learn from others. Anyway, it shouldn't need changing, as anyone who plays it knows that they're playing with an unfinished product... Right?

TBH, it makes Beta Testing one hellava lot easier, but that's just my view.

Edited by Bofur, 18 May 2013 - 02:01 PM.

#8 Elric

Elric

Designer

• Hosted
  • 2,857 posts
  • Projects:Middle-Earth Expanded
  •  Coder
  • Donated

Posted 18 May 2013 - 03:05 PM

Basically the bug is that anyone can put in the svn to tortoiseSVN and or another svn client and you can have the whole rep downloaded just like your joining. i tested it on a few different mods a while back including yours Naz. (dont worry i didnt even finish the download haha took to long) but yea its quite the bug if i do say so myself. i THINK i was the one that told Ridder Geel about it in the first place.

--

Beta Testing: I could do it but i would have to find the motivation haha. SO thats a no for now. but ill let you know if i change my mind.

-Rider of Rohan can probably vouch for me as well as my old From Book to Game modding team. (excluding Unknown seeing as he isnt around haha)

Edited by {IP}Apollo, 18 May 2013 - 03:06 PM.

#9 Bofur

Bofur

The Bolicious One

• Hosted
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 03:14 PM

I can vouch for Apollo (I have no idea why!), and I will be able to do some testing from 18th June onwards, as in huge amounts of testing, as it would be the end of school, and the exams! So, if testing positions would stay open for that long, then I'd love to. But only after the exams.

#10 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 18 May 2013 - 04:00 PM

Well, I can't imagine this was the general ideo of a repoitory, but on the other hand, such a "bug" would probably have been fixed by now. So I guess, for some reason, they want it this way... Oh well, saves me the "trouble" of adding ppol to the repo crew list then. You all just need to master SVN client...

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#11 Bofur

Bofur

The Bolicious One

• Hosted
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 04:10 PM

Ah, well,it's done for all the old FB2G team.

#12 Ridder Geel

Ridder Geel

Master Yelloh

• T3A Staff
  • 10,852 posts
  • Projects:RC Mod + SEE + RTS Engine
  •  The Dangerous T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:36 AM

Yea... anyone can access the google repo things, but that really isn't such a big deal IMO, it's not like we are not planning on releasing SEE to the public :p If someone is crazy enough to download the SVN just to play the mod, I don't think we really mind them doing so, but they can't come crying to us that its not working :p And actually without one crucial step I believe what is on the SVN won't even run for most :p

Ridder Geel

#13 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:05 PM

So this is normal then? Not a bug?  :mellowthumbsup:

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#14 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

LEGO Knight of Minas Ithil

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  • Projects:Mapping this Middle-earth
  •  Mapper

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:42 AM

It is not a bug - other people can access it.

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

#15 Bofur

Bofur

The Bolicious One

• Hosted
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:47 AM

It's perfectly normal, and makes beta testing much more easy.

#16 NewErr

NewErr

Elf-friend

• Project Team
  • 2,177 posts
  • Projects:Wars of The Firstborn
  •  World Wide Artist

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:28 AM

So it makes it more like a public Beta Test ...

#17 Bofur

Bofur

The Bolicious One

• Hosted
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:32 AM

Yes, anyone can do it, apart from the fact that they need RG's "Special Step" or whatever that is...

#18 Ridder Geel

Ridder Geel

Master Yelloh

• T3A Staff
  • 10,852 posts
  • Projects:RC Mod + SEE + RTS Engine
  •  The Dangerous T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:24 PM

Yea.. moving of a file... and possibly some registry changes :xd:

Ridder Geel

#19 Mordor Slayer

Mordor Slayer

SEE Marketing Manager

• Project Team
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:32 PM

Hey Nazgûl, I'm loving the (slow but steady) progress on the mod! It has been quite a ride, hasn't it? I remember I was still in my last year of high school when I had the honour of being appointed marketing manager and head of betatesting. And look at me now: I finished a degree in archaeology, am wrapping up another master degree in cultural studies, and will start a new master in management to complete my studying period at the university. I'm still very interested in the mod (even though The Hobbit movie was quite a dissapointment for me), but I'm afraid I won't be able to keep up the work for the mod at the same rate as in the past. There's a good possibility that I'll be able to betatest in August, but just not as head of betatesting anymore (if you were still considering to give me that "position" anyway).

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#20 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:14 AM

No worries mate, you're always welcome to participate, at any extent you may see fit =)

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users