#1 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Artist

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:03 AM

Figured I'd make a thread about it, since its a part of the occupy movement so to speak

http://defnesumanblo...ng-in-istanbul/

Basically, started as a demonstration against corporate forces turning one of the last greenspots in Istanbul into a mall. When they stood against the machines, the police came out in force to evict them. Then it turned into more of a demonstration for freedom that they feel they've lost the last ten years and against the freedom that corporations and conservatives have gotten in the meanwhile.

I think its a great way to make a point, usually a president should be disposable if he reacts badly to such demonstrations, and I think this is getting very close to such a situation. Turkish media keeps silent about the riots and the president tries to laugh it all away.

We'll see which way this goes.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#2 Radspakr Wolfbane

Radspakr Wolfbane

The John Farnham of modding

• Members
  • 7,722 posts
  • Projects:Comeback tour
  •  The Retired Beard

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:02 AM

At least something is happening with their Occupy movement.

Isn't the US one still going on?

Break dancing into the hearts of millions

#3 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:45 AM

Not as much out in the field I guess, but I think people are keeping themselves aware and helping out when there's a project that needs help.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#4 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Job:Leader

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:24 PM

Erdogan has been an asshole for a long time now. Go people of Turkey. 

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#5 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:31 AM

No, we haven't had any dumb movements in the US in ages.  In fact, nothing interesting has happened here in ages.

So they go to boycott a mall... and somehow it was improvised into a protest for freedom, or what-not?  Well that's... yea.  Does that mean every time I see a mall, it will represent oppression and slavery to me?  Well I'm fine with that.  I don't like malls either... they're all just clothing stores, and not the good kind.

#6 Radspakr Wolfbane

Radspakr Wolfbane

The John Farnham of modding

• Members
  • 7,722 posts
  • Projects:Comeback tour
  •  The Retired Beard

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:00 PM

An interesting part of this is the boycott that's taken place.

People are apparently pulling their money out of banks owned by the big media companies not reporting on the events.

One bank's shares fell 30% that's a really interesting and likely effective way to make a statement.

It's much more effective than the mooching off of the benefits of first world prosperity and not working for months while they play hippy drum circles and crying foul over the poor that passes for activism in the US.

It is a shame that it has gotten violent with Riot police being called in on the "Looters" as I believed the PM called them.

Break dancing into the hearts of millions

#7 CIL

CIL

Ex-troll

• Members
  • 1,330 posts
  • Projects:Lurking
  •  I'm a physician now. Scary, right?

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:09 PM

U.S. protesters' idea of activism is a picket sign and, in the case of progressive protesters, a bunch of weed. Those Turks, on the other hand, sound as though they're being much more productive.

Edited by CIL, 04 June 2013 - 12:09 PM.

I'm creeping, not gone.

#8 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 12:12 PM

Yeah, boicotting banks is a good way to make a point, if you can get enough people with you. And we had a public union that put 240 000 out into a general strike on monday, so I think Erdogan is noticing. his VP has apologized for the initial brutal response of the police, so someone in the government are able to see what the problem is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users