#1 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  • Projects:BFME2 - Nazgûl's Special Extended Edition
  •  Veteran

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:51 AM

At last found a modeling program I can grasp somewhat good. The concept of modeling is still extremely complex to me, but at lest the tool is finally somewhat more comprehensible. This is defenitely due to me being an old school "regular" artist for about 25 years. Besides drawings, illustrations, paintings and 2D graphical design and layout on a professional basis as Art Director, Illustrator etc, I've always loved sculpting. Mostly in clay. So that's defenitely what drew me to ZBrush, as it's not like the other modeling clients. I've tried to learn modeling what seems to be a dussin times, but I've awalys failed since I can't seem to master the UI and tools. ZBrush is like a dream come true. If I can learn to operate this at a basic level, I could reduce the need to harass other modelers soo much, lol.

Now... there are a few things that I can't figure out. So if any of yo know Zb, please do guide me through the following problems...

1) Floor. When modeling from a basic shape, say a round ball. In Edit mode, you get a "floor" (3d grid) below the model. If I need to create something below this grid - how do I do that?

2) Reconstruct Subdiv. This is a function that sometimes (?) makes it possible to reduce the number of polys by the click of a button. It works on some of the pre made models. But when I edit a model to my liking (like the Azog wip below), I can't reduce the number of polys to below what it was from start? In order to do this I have to use a plugin called Decimation Master. That plugin won't give the same result though. I'd like to know why this function only works sometimes. So what are the pre requisites to use Reconstruct Subdiv, if any?

3) Merging meshes? Say I have a body made. Now I want o make a shield, or helmet, or sword etc, to add to the model. How do I go about doing this? Do I have to create a totally new object (called "tool" in Zb) and then import it somehow. Or do I go to Draw mode and ad to the same project? If I do the latter, the added mesh becomes the only part of the project that I can work with, while the old mesh (in this case body) is no longer editable in any way (can't even move it)? So, how to I add a mesh and then MERGE it to the full model so I can rotate the body, with the shield/helmet or whatever attached to it in the correct location?

4) Delete meshes? I sometimes need to delete stuff from the project. While fiddlling and experimenting with the above problem... say I ad a ball shape mesh to my existing body, supposed to be a shield. Now I can fiddle with that ball and move it etc, but not the body. How do I delete the ball without having to step back with Undo? There's no simple Delete button, just as there is no basic Select button (like in GMax etc).

5) Cutting? Is there any way to "cut" a model? Say I wan't to cut an arm of this Azog wip. Is there a way to do that, or would I have to remodel the arm slowly by somehow deleting poly by poly, starting with fingers? Once again - there is no delete function???

2 & 3 are probably what I need to master the most, in order to have the basic skills to make at least simple models for SEE. I know there are tutorials, but most of them cover too much. More than I need, so to save time I thought I'd ask for help here - assuming we have Zbrush skilled modelers that can find time to help =)

bfb59544bb1326c65dd42bb182e0df51.jpg

Edited by Nazgûl, 22 June 2013 - 11:55 AM.

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
"Do not come between the Nazgûl and his mod!"
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> I S.E.E. YOU! <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#2 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:09 PM

You realize that these sort of models will create immense lag ingame?

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#3 Art

Art
  • Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:48 PM

1.-

2.you can't allocate low subdiv if it doesn't exist, or it was gone if you remove low subdiv

Spoiler

3.if that's what you mean

Spoiler

4.-

5.Press Ctrl+Shift :

Spoiler

Edited by Art, 22 June 2013 - 12:53 PM.

#4 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:10 PM

Yes Mat, that's why I asked about the reducing poly tool  :whatoa:

1) Guess I have to draw something from start, that is made to be modeled below, say for instance a ball shape? If I load a ball and contruct a face on it, I can't build a body beneith it... afaik?

2) So you're asying that I might have accidently messed with the Delete lower button? =/

3) Yes... Append. I have tried that, but doing so I can only move the new mesh, not the old? And what is the difference to Insert?

4) -

5) Ah... right... a BRUSH function. I should have thought of that instead of plowing through menues and buttons. THANKS! =)

Great help indeed! If anyone else has input - feel free to spam this topic...  :thumbsupxd:

Edited by Nazgûl, 22 June 2013 - 01:17 PM.

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#5 Art

Art
  • Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:27 PM

3. In order that would move the old model, select it in the subtool or merge all objects(on section Merge)

#6 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:07 PM

Thanks for all your help Art. I'dd mess around with this 'til I get the hang of it =)

2) Is aparently not functioning (like you said) unless the model was created with lower poly count. When experimenting, the "DemoSoldier" body was, and the "HumanMale" was not. So in order to reduce poly count for any model, regardless of polys, once seem to have to use the plugin Decimation Master.

Edited by Nazgûl, 22 June 2013 - 02:40 PM.

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#7 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 22 June 2013 - 02:56 PM

Still don't get how #3 works... When I Append something, it all just becomes one single object. I can't control meshes individually? If I append a star to a body for instance, the star is placed in the middle of the man's body. Then what?  :whathuh: If I use Draw however, the effect is the opposite. I can ONLY move the star, and not the body?

Edited by Nazgûl, 22 June 2013 - 03:47 PM.

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#8 Art

Art
  • Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 04:30 PM

Look this video

You can use Decimation Master, but it spoils topology.

#9 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:22 PM

Thanks, very useful video for merging "tools" (I wonder why they call it that instead of objects, oh well)... I'm on the verge on giving up on this program too though as it can't do the most simple things I'm used to from other programs. The things that annoys me the most is that whatever I do in Draw mode us utterly useless in Edit mode as I can only edit ONE mesh from Draw mode. Say I want to build a "snow man" skeleton out of several round balls. Then start editing them all as a single object by adding and subtracting "clay". That's not possible... as I can only edit the last ball drawn which kinda makes we wonder what draw mode is good for? :p

Edited by Nazgûl, 22 June 2013 - 07:26 PM.

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#10 Art

Art
  • Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:35 PM

If I correctly understood you, it is possible, it is enough to press merge visible (or merge down).

Spoiler

But the program not for beginners, and without a graphic tablet it will be difficult)

#11 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:45 PM

Ok, but in that example, you made a PolyMesh3D of each of the 3 balls, right? Before you could Merge them? I meant that if you use Draw to build a "skeleton" out of, say 15-20 balls... would one have to make individual PolyMesh3d of all of those, and then Append them all into the same SubTool list before one can Merge them?

EDIT: I tried by first making PolyMesh3D out of a sphere, then duplicating into 3 balls. Made a layout like your "mickey mouse", then MergeVisible. But it all ends up being ONE ball. Maybe we have different versions... Mine is 4R5 =/

Edited by Nazgûl, 22 June 2013 - 07:54 PM.

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#12 Art

Art
  • Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:54 PM

For creation of a skeleton it isn't obligatory to do of the sphere, use ZSphere.

#13 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:46 PM

Yeah, but I was looking for a more "thick" way to build a base for my model, suited for making a troll or Great Goblin sort of model. Like in this video:
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=8ZC2fuGSZ0A

Now here's me trying to follow your example above. I made 3 spheres, then made them PolyMesh3D. Then I Appended them into the same SubTool list. But, when I click MergeVisible... all I get is 1 sphere in the SubTool list. Not 3 made into 1...

Oh well, guess I have to use the ZSphere regardless of what type of model I will sculpt. =/

c2e8f4e8590afa27d8b936e82ebe36e7.jpg

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#14 Art

Art
  • Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:01 PM

I am not sure, but...

debcdf96a571.jpg

But you never will manage to make such model as in video, without having studied thus introduction

#15 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:43 PM

I've studiet about 20-25 videos ranging from 5 mins each to over 1 hour each, spent about 40 hours this weekend trying to learn the basics, and all i can do is still only edit existing models, slightly... like the Azog wip in the frist post. So I give up! Modeling is still not for me... Thanks for your help though. IRL I can sculpt anything in clay, just as I can paint or draw anything to my likeing. I thought ZBrush would be more user friendly than RenX/Gmax and 3DSM etc, and be more like sculpting IRL. Aparentliy not  :whathuh: 

Thanks though for your effort to assist =)

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#16 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:18 AM

Thanks to my buddy Val, who reminded me that ZBrush has the new feature DynaMesh.. I could pick this effort up again. And FINALLY there's a function that I can work with. The Azog model above was a wip where I only could edit an existing male model. This time I could reallcy sculp the way I wanted thanks to this awesome feature... Here's my next wip... =)

Unfortionately ZBrush decides to crash countless of times upon saving, so I have to save constantly...

8965fe7e7b08b060a383e9cf6a4a886c.jpg

4bc0c814337f69120ab186b91fced627.jpg

Edited by Nazgûl, 24 June 2013 - 12:18 AM.

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#17 Bofur

Bofur

The Bolicious One

• Hosted
  • 1,766 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Firstborn
  •  The Bolicious T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:27 AM

Looking nice, in a repulsive sort of way! Whose skeleton will you use for him?

left64_by_obsidianlake-d5ruayp.pngAotF.pngright64_by_obsidianlake-d5ruf44.png

#18 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:36 AM

There are some to choose from... First Im gonna try the fat orc skl. If that doesnt look then my next guess is troll skl with some customization in the coding. This model is just a wip though and I would have gotten further if it wasnt for all the friggin crashes :/

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#19 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:32 PM

Started working out the details of the face now. Eyes and mouth almost done... Teeth, nose and ears next =) I just hope that skinning is just as easy as sculpting in DynaMesh mode. And yes, I will reduce poly count severely before this goes in game. This is just practice (and great friggin fun!)  :thumbsupxd:

ba47787537c4f89c9bf90aa3373d099b.jpg

And as I was putting the finishing touches on the fat bag under his chin... another CRASH *sigh* 

9fb1bc7fa69491685877c75fa70e0cfc.jpg

Edited by Nazgûl, 25 June 2013 - 12:51 AM.

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

#20 Nazgûl

Nazgûl

S.E.E. Team Leader

• Hosted
  • 10,582 posts
  •  Veteran

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:22 AM

Now Ive created teeth, as a separate object ("tool"), but I can't import it into the scene... This is the worst part of ZBrush - logic wise...  :flameblast:

// C}{riZpc_punch.gif
SEE_Banner_2008.jpg
SEE-Team_Leader.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users