Can't play MO through network

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Henskelion

Henskelion
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:54 AM

So this might be one of those questions that has a really obvious answer, since I've never known too much about RA2/YR from a programming standpoint and rarely ever played online or LAN, but anyway, here goes the question.

So today I tried installing MO on an old HP laptop so that I could try playing LAN with my brother, and after messing around we finally got it to work to the point where we could start up a game. However, once the game loaded and we got about 30 seconds into the match, I'd get an error message reading "Connecton Error" and it'd both of us back into the lobby. I tried messing around with some IP and Firewall settings for about an hour before giving up, and so I figured I'd just ask the people who would know the game better than I would before wasting more time.

So, relevant information:

- Both the installs were patched up to 1.006 for RA2 and 1.001 for YR.

- My computer was running on Windows 7, while his laptop had Windows XP installed (maybe different OS's would cause problems?)

- Changing Firewall settings didn't help

- Both our games were running The First Decade, with the unofficial 1.03 patch installed (AFAIK this shouldn't affect anything)

- Both games were installed using the same TFD DVD, but using different serial numbers.

- Both games were running with discs in each drive (for my desktop I put the TFD disc in, while his laptop had my original copy of YR inserted)

- We were playing through our router (we tried connecting our computers directly through an ethernet couple as a crack solution at one point, but with this method we found that, while he could see me in the lobby screen, I could not see him)

Those are all the things I can think of at the moment. I hope someone can respond with an obvious solution or workaround, that would be extremely helpful.

#2 Speeder

Speeder

#ControlMOre

• Hosted
  • 8,992 posts
  • Projects:Mental Omega
  •  Mental Omega Creator

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:16 PM

Connection Error or Reconnection Error?

mainbanner.jpg
bt_left.pngbt_fb.pngbt_yt.pngbt_tw.pngbt_md.pngbt_right.png
115776.png

#3 Henskelion

Henskelion
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:48 PM

I'll have to confirm it later but I'm 95% sure it was a "Reconnection Error".

#4 mevitar

mevitar

REEEEEEEEEEEEE

• Hosted
  • 1,971 posts
  • Projects:Doom Desire
  •  (◉ _ ◉)

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:05 PM

Did you happen to play on gamespeed 6?
ded signature

(◉ ᗝ ◉)

#5 Henskelion

Henskelion
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:15 PM

Did you happen to play on gamespeed 6?

No, gamespeed 4.

Also, just confirmed it now that it is in fact a Reconnection Error, not a Connection Error.

#6 mevitar

mevitar

REEEEEEEEEEEEE

• Hosted
  • 1,971 posts
  • Projects:Doom Desire
  •  (◉ _ ◉)

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:01 AM

Does it happen on any map? Some maps are more prone to reconnection errors than others.
ded signature

(◉ ᗝ ◉)

#7 Henskelion

Henskelion
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:42 PM

We tried several YR and MO maps, including Tsunami and Tribarreled. The RCE occurs a little less than 10 seconds into each match, before I can even build my first power plant.

#8 Speeder

Speeder

#ControlMOre

• Hosted
  • 8,992 posts
  •  Mental Omega Creator

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:57 AM

I just noticed no mention of NPSE. Are you both using NPSE#0022?

mainbanner.jpg
115776.png

#9 Henskelion

Henskelion
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:36 PM

I just noticed no mention of NPSE. Are you both using NPSE#0022?

Yes, we both had NPSE#0022 installed (considering it was part of the download package that contained MO itself)

#10 Speeder

Speeder

#ControlMOre

• Hosted
  • 8,992 posts
  •  Mental Omega Creator

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:18 PM

Oh yeah, doesn't TFD1.03 provide you with Terrain Expansion? That's usually a big no no. Actually, the whole patch is a no-no IMO.

mainbanner.jpg
115776.png

#11 Henskelion

Henskelion
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:51 AM

I can try uninstalling it on both computers and just using the 1.02 patches, and see if that works.

#12 Apollo

Apollo

The bringer of doom

• Hosted
  • 3,467 posts
  • Projects:Robot Storm, Project Phantom
  •  1337 Modder

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:20 AM

Yeah Terrain Expansion causes reconnection errors among other potential unstability.

Posted Image

EAApoc wrote:
The only written law in a C&C game I ever saw is please Mr.Developer make it fun and give me a lot of **** to explode, o and don't you ever get another soul to play Kane but Joe Kucan. Aside from those two rules, all bets are off =) hehe
-APOC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users