Photo

Guns don't kill people; Americans do!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:02 AM

Filmmaker Michael Moore had a lot to say about guns to a paparazzo who caught up with him at LAX, the scene of a shooting last week that left a TSA worker dead.

“I think the NRA, they’ve got it half right when they say ‘guns don’t kill people, people kill people,’” he told the TMZ cameramanexternal-link.png. “I change it to ‘guns don’t kill people, Americans kill people.’ Because we’re really the only ones that do it on this level, on this scale. Why?” 

The cameraman asked Moore about his thoughts on the LAX shooting.

“Nothing changes. It’s the country we live in... Legally purchased gun, bullets. What are you going to do?” Moore said.

He then talked about how other countries don’t seem to suffer from similar numbers of attacks. 

“There’s a reason why this doesn’t happen in Canada, and Ireland and France and elsewhere. They have their occasional craziness but it’s not on a weekly or monthly basis, no. So why us? Because they’re not better than us, so why us? What is it about us? That’s the question to ask,” he said.

The "Roger and Me" director continued asking questions as the cameraman attempted to formulate answers.

“They have mentally ill people in those countries. Canada, hunting is a bigger sport than hockey. There’s a lot of guns in Canada, why don’t they kill each other?”

A rep for the NRA didn't respond immediately to FOX411's request for comment.

http://www.foxnews.c...tcmp=latestnews

#2 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

LEGO Knight of Minas Ithil

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  • Projects:Mapping this Middle-earth
  •  Mapper
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:29 AM

Yeah. Tighter gun control doesn't mean less freedom. If you cannot control the gun yourself (mentally unstable, easy access) then don't have them.

Also - what is a better way to impose gun control that doesn't include Obama setting up staged gun homicides? ;p

In Australia it was easy, as the only people who wanted to keep their guns were farmers and country people - and they were pretty much exempt from the mass collection.

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

#3 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:54 AM

It's as though people think removing guns will make everything magically better. It won't. Let people keep their guns but at least make it harder to get one. People who get them illegally... you can't do shit about them anyway. Joe Schmoe down the street didn't do anything wrong so why demonize him too? Kinda stupid really.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Discord: The Astronomer#1314
Steam

#4 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:44 AM

Oh, I somehow missed this topic.  Hi Wulfy.

More gun topics?  Well firstly, Michael Moore is an idiot and an attention whore, so everything he said is just automatically muted to me.  Micky "Muppet face" Moore can cry all he wants, but I'll be keeping my incredibly dangerous weapons and people in cities will continue shooting themselves because they're uncivilized idiots. But if I had any say in it, I wouldn't want them to stop since someone needs to deal with this population crisis.

#5 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  • Projects:Red-Resurrection
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 10 November 2013 - 01:22 PM

Why do the Americans on forums never have anything constructive to add to these topics? Perhaps gun control wouldn't help, or maybe you just don't want it, so what CAN you do? Think of something constructive to do if all the outsiders opinions are void. This guy, at least in Hostiles post, has a point. You can't simply deny it all then continue pretending to be in the right.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#6 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 10 November 2013 - 02:27 PM

I was surprisingly constructive.  Why are all the Europeans on forums so predictably dry?  It's strange, considering how rainy England is.  Ha!  What a stretch.  

I honestly don't see a problem to fix.  Never met or seen anyone who's been shot outside of an actual war, or anyone who's been robbed at gunpoint, or any of that nonsense.  I hear people complaining about the threat, but I never see it.  Check on the news once in awhile, and a stray gun does something sinister maybe twice a day somewhere in the country, if even that.  But I know several people who buy meth, burglarize, or have been involved in the dark arts of crime.  None of these things involve guns around me, all of these things are illegal, yet I don't see anything being done about them.  Ban guns, and you'll only make my poor old granny pay even more in taxes to house criminals in the already over-stocked prisons.  Gun control would only make more criminals, and there's enough uncreative thugs out there.  When I say I want the population to drop, I didn't mean by life sentences.

#7 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Job:Artist

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:08 PM

Aren't there laws in Merica against criminals buying guns and having guns already?

It is stupid that America haven't been able to stop people from buying guns before they've been vetted, and as I mentioned in a previous thread about guns: Tax what you don't like. Percentage of your income, minimum $500 per year, applies to every non-hunting weapon. Bounty hunters can roam around the country gathering the tax. Happy fun times.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#8 Radspakr Wolfbane

Radspakr Wolfbane

The John Farnham of modding

• Members
  • 7,722 posts
  • Projects:Comeback tour
  •  The Retired Beard

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:42 PM

The jails are over stocked because of the War on drugs and mandatory sentencing get rid of those and you'd find the prison numbers would drop and police resources could better used on violent crime.

The police wouldn't be so A'd up and you wouldn't hear about so many black kids getting shot by cops.

The drug cartels would lose a lot of their profit and wouldn't need to smuggle so many guns for their wars and those wars wouldn't be flowing into the US as bad.

Truth is the answer isn't as simple as ban all guns, but gun control would be a key in reducing the amount of violence.

Decriminalise drugs (at least Pot for a start), repeal mandatory sentencing, limit privatisation of prisons, better Police training, Gun reform/stricter controls.

Using the amount of money saved from stopping the war of drugs and not housing so many criminals that money could be then spent on improving mental healthcare and healthcare in general.

Give it 20 years and maybe the US would catch up with the rest of the west.

But the US is the US and they are impossibly resistant to change, especially if it could better them. 

Break dancing into the hearts of millions

#9 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:56 PM

It's really not an issue.

#10 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:04 AM

Aren't there laws in Merica against criminals buying guns and having guns already?

Yes, there are but those people continue to do what they've always done: break the fucking law. All gun control laws do is restrict my rights rather than actually stop anything. At least in this country. There are numerous factors why it's different in other countries. Most notably is the diversity in this country and the larger number of huge, sprawling urban centers where most of the issues arise... with illegally obtained firearms of course. People like to think the problem is easy when it's actually very complicated. Now, I would agree that we should have more restrictions on legally obtaining weapons so we can more easily identify illegal weapons and we should definitely have safety training mandatory for legally owning a weapon. If you don't respect the tool, you don't respect what it can do. And that leads to bad things.

Edited by Beowulf, 11 November 2013 - 12:04 AM.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Steam

#11 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

LEGO Knight of Minas Ithil

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  • Projects:Mapping this Middle-earth
  •  Mapper
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:35 AM

I know Australia is smaller, but there is a large diversity here. I've posted this here before.

http://www.abc.net.a...12/s3746727.htm

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

#12 Beowulf

Beowulf

Shipgirl

• Advisors
  • 7,219 posts
  •  Azur Lane Fangirl

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:32 AM

The diversity here is far more extensive. And we're not ocean locked like Australia is so there aren't illegals running around anywhere. And if there are, it's not nearly as many as the US. And when you get certain groups of people together, bad things happen. Gangs can be a problem here, especially in heavily urban areas. That's where the disparity really comes from.

NZ.org | BBPCG
Steam

#13 Hostile

Hostile

Benefitting Humanity Simply by Showing Up!

• Veterans
  • 9,551 posts
  •  T3A Founder
  • Job:Global Administrator
  • Donated
  • Association

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:33 PM

While I am certainly a free market kinda guy, I do agree with Rad on one point in particular. Privatization of prisons is wrong on many levels.

Free market is great, supply and demand drives market prices down based on competition. BUT if your product/service is incarcerating people and you are looking for a larger market share than that is fundamentally wrong in my mind. You would have an entire industry whom is trying to increase their marketshare by finding more ways of incarcerating people.

Throw in a couple of industry lobbiests and now you have a handshake, and a smile, and a party. The bar is down on the left so Mr. Politician, get drunk, and get some more laws made so we can incarcerate more people subsidized by the government with tax payers dollars. Because we all know how great the economy is with so people making licsense plates when in prison while the average cost of incarcerating people on average is $45k a year.

I think thats actually more than most of the criminals make working at real jobs like being a cashier at Walmart?!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users