Photo

[Dev Poll #1] Sensors for a Soviet vehicle

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

Poll: Poll 1

The stealth&subterranean sensors for a Soviet unit should..

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Speeder

Speeder

#ControlMOre

• Hosted
  • 8,992 posts
  • Projects:Mental Omega
  •  Mental Omega Creator

Posted 15 December 2013 - 03:32 AM

I'm gonna start a series of questions to the Mental Omega 3.0 players. Sometimes I'll be making a poll so that you can say what do you think should stay/be changed in the upcoming releases.

The first one is a simple question. Ares 0.5 fixes Terror Drone vs stealthed units behavior, so now Terror Drone will no longer be ejected from infected stealth unit when it recloaks.

With this, perhaps the sensors should be moved from Borillo to the Terror Drone to provide Soviets with a T1 unit with sensors.

Of course further commentary is very welcome.

mainbanner.jpg
bt_left.pngbt_fb.pngbt_yt.pngbt_tw.pngbt_md.pngbt_right.png
115776.png

#2 WhiteDragon25

WhiteDragon25
  • Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:30 AM

While giving stealth detection to the Terror Drone is a good idea, perhaps the Borillo can still keep its stealth detection as well? The Terror Drone would provide Tier 1 detection capability, but aside from the Borillo, is there anything else in the Soviet Tier 2 vehicle roster that detects stealth? I think the question of removing the Borillo's stealth detection or not depends on if there's another Tier 2 stealth detector to cover for it (or if there actually is a need for a Tier 2 stealth detector to begin with).

Edited by WhiteDragon25, 15 December 2013 - 05:13 AM.

I have a Moddb page, if anyone cares to check it out: linky.

I can also be found at the Spacebattles Forums: linky.

#3 fff

fff
  • Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 05:11 AM

I do not think there is a need for a tier 2 stealth detecting unit since both the allied and epsilon Tier 2 doesn't either have any detecting vehicles. The soviet have in this current version t2 borillo as detecting vehicle, but it would make sense that after the change to the terror drone that borillo would lose it's detecting capabilities.

So at the end of this, after this change...

Detecting units:

Allied:  T1 Robot Tank, T2 Navy Seal,  T3 Heroes (except Norio)    Shipyard unit :   Destroyer

Soviet: T1 Terror drone, T2 Tesla trooper ,  T3 Heroes                   Shipyard unit:    Typhoon Attack Sub

Epsilon: T1 Stinger,  T2 Dunerider, T3 Heroes                                Shipyard unit:     Piranha, Squid, Resheph

After observing again at the factions webpage, it looks like epsilon have a lot of detectors in navy.

Edited by fff, 15 December 2013 - 05:29 AM.

#4 Atomic_Noodles

Atomic_Noodles

Colony Hivemind

• Project Team
  • 854 posts
  • Projects:Red Alert - Colony Wars
  •  Colony Wars Hive Mind

Posted 15 December 2013 - 05:27 AM

I say keep both. Terror Drones often end up being expendable units anyway so its always a good idea for the Soviets to have another unit to back up on for Stealth Detection.

~ Getting cringe reactions when you see a RAINBOW means you have issues. ~

"This World is an Illussion,Exile" -High Templar Dominus

#5 WhiteDragon25

WhiteDragon25
  • Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 05:38 AM

I say keep both. Terror Drones often end up being expendable units anyway so its always a good idea for the Soviets to have another unit to back up on for Stealth Detection.

Actually, that's a pretty good point, I hadn't thought of that argument. I vote this.

I have a Moddb page, if anyone cares to check it out: linky.

I can also be found at the Spacebattles Forums: linky.

#6 Toveena

Toveena

baLANcE KUrwa

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • Projects:PSM
  •  バイツァ・ダスト

Posted 15 December 2013 - 05:39 AM

i say that move the stealth detection to terror, borrillo now as multi-role T2 unit has already being too cost-effeicent(transport, Aoe damage,naval assult, sensor, damage obsorber, strong vs all T1ground, okay vs all T2ground except vehicals).

I feel like even taking away its sensor isn't actually enough, but i won't discuss balance issues further more here :D

#7 fff

fff
  • Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 05:44 AM

i say that move the stealth detection to terror, borrillo now as multi-role T2 unit has already being too cost-effeicent(transport, Aoe damage,naval assult, sensor, damage obsorber, strong vs all T1ground, okay vs all T2ground except vehicals).

I feel like even taking away its sensor isn't actually enough, but i won't discuss balance issues further more here :D

I completely agree , the borillos which are already very tough units to deal with, having them being able to detect other stealthed (let's say shadow tanks, malver etc) while defending a base very hard when caught by surprise or rushed. Not to mention its dangerous passengers...

Accompany the borillos with terror drones for detecting, or i can't remember but is the borillo garrisonable by them? then use those drones inside...

Edited by fff, 15 December 2013 - 05:53 AM.

#8 Seth

Seth
  • Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 07:42 AM

I go for the Terror Drone, obviously is faster than Borillo and if for example Malver is attacking some of your units and you can't see him, something fast has to come.

#9 Atomic_Noodles

Atomic_Noodles

Colony Hivemind

• Project Team
  • 854 posts
  • Projects:Red Alert - Colony Wars
  •  Colony Wars Hive Mind

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:04 AM

Terror drones can't fire inside transports. So you'll either have to keep them always out. And mind you I think the reason Borillos do have sensors is to allow them to participate and integrate into the Soviet Naval Warfare as well.

Epsilon have Squids and for the other Sub-Factions Elites & Marauders.

Allies can also use Robot Tanks

~ Getting cringe reactions when you see a RAINBOW means you have issues. ~

"This World is an Illussion,Exile" -High Templar Dominus

#10 Petya

Petya

title available

• Project Team
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:21 AM

I'd say go to Terror Drone. I always hated that Borillos can detect stealth.

#11 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  • Projects:Red-Resurrection
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:23 AM

While I always agreed that Borillo seems like an odd choice just remember how effectively uncontrollable Terror Drones are. If you have them in your army they'll try to run at things and jump inside (thus losing your detection). You'll probably have to keep churning these out in order to have detection at all. Also as Atomic_Noodles says, Robot Tanks and Borillos are amphibious and so give the Allies & Soviets a much needed extra detection unit on the water.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#12 Petya

Petya

title available

• Project Team
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:59 AM

But Stinger isn't amphibious. Also Crazy Ivan can detect stealth afaik and he is amphibious.

Edited by Petya, 15 December 2013 - 12:18 PM.

#13 Graion Dilach

Graion Dilach

Supérior Caliburwielder

• Project Team
  • 2,187 posts
  • Projects:Infinty Engine modding, OpenHV, Attacque Supérior (sometimes)
  •  That guy you keep hearing the stories about.

Posted 15 December 2013 - 12:02 PM

Still, Drones for detection are damned too fragile.

EDIT: And Ivans can't plant bombs to underwater units, that's certain. I'm not even sure they can detect them.

Edited by Graion Dilach, 15 December 2013 - 12:16 PM.

kuuHd4s.png6pDXsCS.png
n0J1wqE.pngIX8pBXZ.png

AS Discord server: https://discord.gg/7aM7Hm2

ComradeCrimson: AS is the product of Hungarian acid
ComradeCrimson: And magical hussars
Dutchygamer: and Weird Al.

#14 Hecthor Doomhammer

Hecthor Doomhammer

Live Streamer

• Project Team
  • 1,282 posts
  • Projects:Livestreams
  •  C&C mods Livestreamer

Posted 15 December 2013 - 12:44 PM

I honestly feel that Stealth detection should stay on the Borillo alone. There are too many detrements about moving it to the Terror Drone.

1: As Bolt said: They are too uncontrolable and you'll lose them at times when you really need them

2: It makes Epsilon vs Soviets useless, as the Ghost Miner will turn into a normal miner that does nothing. Terror Drones will find them and infect them right away and with any bad luck you as Epsilon player won't have a WF yet as you focus on Radar first, and if you try to cramp out a few infantry first as well, you'll end up with not enough resources to make the WF or a second Refinery.

3: It also makes Shadow Tanks'Deploy function useless, because when you deploy them, they don't fire and thus are defensless against them.

I know hat the Soviets lack anythingregarding to keeping things a secret (Gap Gen / Chimera Core equivilant) and also the T1 Stealth Detection and thus it might seem unbalanced, but I feel that if the Terror Drone is given this function, it would only make things more unbalanced in favor of the Soviets

Streamer of Rise of the Reds, Mental Omega and other mods

xqbQD6S.jpg

#15 Black/Brunez

Black/Brunez

Title? What title?

• Project Team
  • 1,262 posts
  •  Mentalmeister - Random Annoying Guy

Posted 15 December 2013 - 01:04 PM

Overall, I´m currently neutral with this because I feel some pretty hard positive/negative points for the changes.

1) Keeping on Terror Drone:

+ Nice, the sovs have a fast T1 detector!

- - - That stupid suicidal behavior they have, plus their weak armor can really cost you the fucking battle.

2) Keeping on Borillo.

+ A unit which is strong enough to follow your army (not much different for Tesla Troopers... but still...)

- Lack of T1 detector.

- Maybe the Borillo is already too much useful and cost effective to serve as an option.

- Flametrower on submarines... lol

#16 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:10 PM

But Stinger isn't amphibious. Also Crazy Ivan can detect stealth afaik and he is amphibious.

But as said already they get 3 detectors in their navy and don't need another one. Allies and Soviets get 1 naval detector + an amphibious unit.

Posted Image

#17 Petya

Petya

title available

• Project Team
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:18 PM

Keep in mind that a stealth detector Terror Drone opens up new ways of attacks.

#18 OmegaBolt

OmegaBolt

Lost In The New Real

• Hosted
  • 6,273 posts
  •  O'Bolt

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:29 AM

Of course but would they be better than the Borillo- I don't think so. The Terror Drone is fragile and uncontrollable. If ANY unit comes into range it will attack it, losing your stealth detection. As Doomy also said it would make Ghost Miners highly vulnerable to these, losing them their protection from TDs (to some extent, they would still be kicked out when recloaking) and I don't think this is a good idea. It also means the Soviets have one less naval stealth detector, as said.

I just don't see how TDs are a reliable stealth detector unit at all.

Posted Image

#19 Speeder

Speeder

#ControlMOre

• Hosted
  • 8,992 posts
  • Projects:Mental Omega
  •  Mental Omega Creator

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:38 AM

They wouldn't be kicked when Ghost Miners recloak, Ares 0.5 fixed this issue.

mainbanner.jpg
bt_left.pngbt_fb.pngbt_yt.pngbt_tw.pngbt_md.pngbt_right.png
115776.png

#20 Jargalhurts

Jargalhurts

Mental Face

• Project Team
  • 328 posts
  • Projects:Nothing worth showing off.
  •  Actually Yngwie of House Malmsteen.

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:27 AM

Seeing how adding Stealth Detection on each of these units would prove very hard to balance for both, I suggest giving stealth detection to an entirely new unit instead. Perhaps the Repair Drone or an entirely new unit. My opinion is that Terror Drones that have detection would ruin Ghost Miners and Borillos already fill so many purposes and stealth is just making it more powerful. So I guess, I attach it to the Repair Drone, perhaps. It is T1 and it's amphibious. :)

Edited by Jargalhurts, 16 December 2013 - 11:49 AM.

Actually Yngwie of Haus Malmsteen, feefty eenches of pure Svwedish beef.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users