mod elrond modding help

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 ShadowSpion

ShadowSpion
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 03:50 PM

I am trying to make an Elrond Hero ingame.  I have been modding his ini file that was with the game.

But, I have run into multiple issues.

1. How do I get the game to allow him to respawn once he dies?

2. How can I change his name, if I do I get the Missing:Object...?

3. How can I implement him into the campaign?

Thank You

#2 Echo

Echo

T3A:Online

• T3A Staff
  • 1,069 posts
  • Projects:Lot3A
  •  ~~
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Moderator
  • Donated

Posted 27 December 2013 - 05:43 PM

I am trying to make an Elrond Hero ingame.  I have been modding his ini file that was with the game.

But, I have run into multiple issues.

1. How do I get the game to allow him to respawn once he dies?

2. How can I change his name, if I do I get the Missing:Object...?

3. How can I implement him into the campaign?

Thank You

Hi :)

1) Edit playertemplate.ini and list him under "BuildableHeroesMP = " as ElvenElrond to the desired faction. Make sure he has a build cost and respawn updates. Respawn updates can be found in the inis of the heroes, so check Aragorn.ini for example and copy paste that to Elrond.ini in the Engineering Parameters section somewhere and edit it to your liking.

2) You will need a lotr.str file for that. But Elrond shouldn't display as a "Missing:ObjectElvenElrond" because there's an entry in the lotr.str that says:

OBJECT:ElvenElrond
"Elrond"
END

Which should change his name to just "Elrond".

3. I am not sure about the campaign, but I think you will need to edit every campaign map you want him to be in manually. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. But why should Elrond be in the campaign, and where? Dunharrow would be the only place that would make sense, movie wise ;)

26285.png

#3 ShadowSpion

ShadowSpion
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 05:57 PM

Thank you very much.

Another couple of things.

1. How do I make him auto heal like other heros?

2. Is it possible to make a double horde use less command points.  For example, each elven archer horde costs 20.  So 40 in a double horde.  Can I make the double horde specifically 30 command points instead of 40 and keep the regular elves at 20?

Again Thank You

#4 Echo

Echo

• T3A Staff
  • 1,069 posts
  •  ~~
  • Donated

Posted 27 December 2013 - 06:16 PM

Thank you very much.

Another couple of things.

1. How do I make him auto heal like other heros?

2. Is it possible to make a double horde use less command points.  For example, each elven archer horde costs 20.  So 40 in a double horde.  Can I make the double horde specifically 30 command points instead of 40 and keep the regular elves at 20?

Again Thank You

I've never actually done these things and I'm surprised Elrond doesn't have autohealing, but try adding this for 1):

Behavior = AutoHealBehavior ModuleTag_ElrondHealing
        StartsActive = Yes
        HealingAmount = HERO_HEAL_AMOUNT
        HealingDelay = 1000
        StartHealingDelay = HERO_HEAL_DELAY
        HealOnlyIfNotInCombat = Yes
    End

And for 2): it seems like the Elven Combo horde already costs 30 command points only (see "CommandPoints =30"):

Spoiler

Edited by Echo, 27 December 2013 - 06:17 PM.

26285.png

#5 ShadowSpion

ShadowSpion
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 07:03 PM

It seems that way but when I test it they still cost 40.  i will check again though.

#6 ShadowSpion

ShadowSpion
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 07:16 PM

I just checked and it still costs what they were individually.  Also the respawn still isn't working I copied aragorns part and all that single behavior does is when Elrond "dies" he continues to do what I told him to last.  He will continue to kill a troll if I tell him to right before he dies.  I can't select him or anything.

The autoheal works great thanks!

Edited by ShadowSpion, 27 December 2013 - 07:26 PM.

#7 Meneldil

Meneldil
  • Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 07:42 PM

I assume you haven't added leveling capability or voices to Elrond (i.e., he's still level 10 and mute). In order to add basic respawn capability, copy and paste the following into the indicated ini files:

data\ini\fxlist.ini

;-------------------------------------------

FXList FX_ElrondDieToRespawn

ParticleSystem

Name = GandalfSwordHitSpark

Offset = X:12.0 Y:0.0 Z:8.0

OrientToObject = Yes

End

ParticleSystem

Name = GandalfSwordHitFlash

Offset = X:12.0 Y:0.0 Z:8.0

OrientToObject = Yes

End

End

;-------------------------------------------

FXList FX_ElrondSpawn

Sound

Name = GenericRespawn1

End

ParticleSystem

Name = ResurrectionCenter

Offset = X:0.0 Y:0.0 Z:5.0

OrientToObject = Yes

End

ParticleSystem

Name = ResurrectionLightShaft

Offset = X:0.0 Y:0.0 Z:0.0

OrientToObject = Yes

End

ParticleSystem

Name = ResurrectionVortex

OrientToObject = Yes

End

ParticleSystem

Name = ResurrectionWave

OrientToObject = Yes

End

End

data\ini\object\goodfaction\units\elven\elrond.ini (place under Engineering Parameters)

; Meneldil added respawn code

Body = RespawnBody ModuleTag_RespawnBody

CheerRadius                   = EMOTION_CHEER_RADIUS

MaxHealth                     = ELROND_HEALTH

PermanentlyKilledByFilter     = NONE

DodgePercent                  = HERO_DODGE_PERCENT

End

Behavior = RespawnUpdate ModuleTag_RespawnUpdate

DeathAnim                     = DYING ;STUNNED        ;Model condition to play when killed-to-respawn

DeathFX                       = FX_ElrondDieToRespawn ;FXList to play when killed-to-respawn

DeathAnimationTime            = 5367 ;1133            ;How long DeathAnim will take.

InitialSpawnFX                = FX_ElrondSpawn        ;Animation/sound when first recruited

RespawnAnim                   = LEVELED               ;Animation to play when respawning.

RespawnFX                     = FX_ElrondSpawn        ;FXList to play when respawning.

RespawnAnimationTime          = 2000                  ;Time it takes for respawn to play.

AutoRespawnAtObjectFilter     = NONE +CASTLE_KEEP     ;Respawn at this location -- and at it's exit production point if possible.

RespawnRules                  = AutoSpawn:No Cost:1000 Time:10000 Health:100%

End

#8 ShadowSpion

ShadowSpion
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 07:50 PM

I haven't added levels yet, but I gave him elven archer voice

I deleted the previous stuff with aragorn.  Then I copied the two bits of code.  Elrond still won't die, just keeps on glitching out.

Edited by ShadowSpion, 27 December 2013 - 08:02 PM.

#9 Meneldil

Meneldil
  • Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 07:58 PM

Echo answered your main questions, but I'll add to his comment regarding adding Elrond to the campaign. Ideally, you would use WorldBuilder to add Elrond to the map you want him to appear in. That map would need to be added to your mod. However, if you don't mind some story discontinuity, you can add Elrond to the campaign just by editing the gondorcampaign.ini file. To do this for Gondor, for example, modify the following code as shown:

LivingWorldPlayerArmy

Name = FaramirPlayerArmy; Northern Ithilien

DisplayNameTag = LWA:Gondor

Color = R:255 G:0 B:0

NightColor = R:0 G:255 B:0

ArmyEntry

ThingTemplate = GondorFaramir

Quantity = 1

End

ArmyEntry

ThingTemplate = ElvenElrond

Quantity = 1

End

End

This will allow Elrond to join Faramir in Northern Ithilien. Because the map isn't modified, he won't appear next to Faramir. Instead, he'll apper southwest of Faramir.

#10 ShadowSpion

ShadowSpion
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 08:15 PM

Thank you, but I am still having respawn issues, with your code only in the correct places elrond still won't die.  Thanks for all the help so far.  I must be truly not able to get anything to work.

#11 Meneldil

Meneldil
  • Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 08:28 PM

I'm scratching my head on this one. I just verified what I wrote works by adding it to a vanilla version. Elrond should be able to die. Try decreasing his health points significantly and see what happens. I've attached the fxlist and elrond ini files that show the modifications I made (just search for my name). Reapply to your mod and post what happens.

Attached File  fxlist.ini   193.85KB   68 downloadsAttached File  elrond.ini   26.16KB   79 downloads

#12 Meneldil

Meneldil
  • Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 08:31 PM

Also, regarding your question: Is it possible to make a double horde use less command points.  For example, each elven archer horde costs 20.  So 40 in a double horde.  Can I make the double horde specifically 30 command points instead of 40 and keep the regular elves at 20?

The short answer is no. This is because unit command points count, too. If you are willing to add the elven warrior double horde as a buildable unit to the archery range, then you could do this.

#13 ShadowSpion

ShadowSpion
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 08:40 PM

Thank You so much this has been stumping me for days!  With the way this goes is there a limit on how much health he could have?  

#14 Meneldil

Meneldil
  • Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 08:51 PM

There's probably a limit, but I don't know what it would be from a coding perspective. From a player perspective, you don't want to make it so high that he's essentially invulnerable or so low that he's easily killed. Obvious, I know. Experiment and find what works best for you.

#15 ShadowSpion

ShadowSpion
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 08:54 PM

Never mind the health works now, I just can't copy and paste.   :)     Again Thank you!  <:)

Edited by ShadowSpion, 27 December 2013 - 08:55 PM.

#16 ShadowSpion

ShadowSpion
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 09:32 PM

I am now working on the experience levels and powers for Elrond.

I am not sure where to begin with it though.  Thanks for any help

#17 Echo

Echo

• T3A Staff
  • 1,069 posts
  •  ~~
  • Donated

Posted 27 December 2013 - 09:57 PM

Take a look at Aragorns experiencelevel for example, it's always good to orientate yourself on existing codes. I just copied Aragorn's entire experiencelevel (level 1-10) to a text document, then I replaced all instances of "GondorAragorn" with "ElvenElrond". Then I replaced all instances of "AragornLevel" with "ElrondLevel". Then copy & paste all that to your codes. Make sure to remove/comment out the existing experiencelevel of Elrond (there is one) that grants him level 10 by default. If you need more help let me know :)

26285.png

#18 Meneldil

Meneldil
  • Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 09:57 PM

I'm glad Echo and I were able to help. Here's a link to a tutorial I made: http://www.the3rdage...tem-744?addview

Among other things, it provides information on how to enable Elrond to level up as well as add abilities to his command set.

Good luck!

#19 ShadowSpion

ShadowSpion
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:21 PM

I can see how that guide will be useful thanks, will the ai use elrond now that he is implemented?

#20 Meneldil

Meneldil
  • Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 02:48 PM

No, the AI won't use Elrond until you adjust it. My tutorial covers that, too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users