bel btcod

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 malik_cjm

malik_cjm
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 12:50 AM

Recently I received interesting feature request for my mod. Using directory instead of WAD archive. 

The idea is to simplify and speed up creating new mods. All RLE and BMP files from WAD archive can be stored in directory with the same base name as WAD archive.

i.e. DATOS\RECURSOS\BMPS\SYSTEM\GLOBAL\GLOBAL.WAD -> DATOS\RECURSOS\BMPS\SYSTEM\GLOBAL\GLOBAL\

What do you think about this idea? Anyone interested? I have some progress already. It's just proof of concept. But works.

Any comments welcome.

#2 herbert3000

herbert3000

Guilty Until Proven Innocent

• Division Admins
  • 593 posts
  • Division:Commandos HQ
  • Job:Division Admin

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:42 PM

This sounds interesting.

But how can the user edit the RLE and BMP files? I'm asking because the Commandos BMP format is different from the Windows Bitmap.

And as far as I can remember, some RLE files use another color palette if you click on them.

#3 malik_cjm

malik_cjm
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 06:38 PM

I don't see any difference between Windows Bitmap and Commandos BMP, and RLE is just another BMP but with compression and transparency.

I used Multiextractor, which converts BMP and RLE files from WAD archive to Windows Bitmap format. RLE is stored as two files bitmap and mask. After that I used Bmp2Rle to convert bitmap and mask files to proper RLE files. Last step was moving all output to directory with the same basename as WAD archive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users