• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  • Projects:Mapping this Middle-earth
  •  Mapper
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:20 AM

demo_lego_hobbit_hirez_482x273.jpg?l.r=1

LEGO The Hobbit is the game I have been waiting for this year. =D (That and T3A:Online for BfME II)

Download the DEMO! :)

http://videogames.le...t/demo-download

Edited by MattTheLegoman, 06 March 2014 - 12:22 AM.

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

#2 GhostOfDurin

GhostOfDurin
  • Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:47 AM

I preordered. It's coming tomorrow. Can't wait to see how Erebor and Smaug turns out.

#3 GhostOfDurin

GhostOfDurin
  • Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:53 PM

So I got it yesterday, And it is a really fun game. Well, I never doubted it would, But it's much better than Lego LOTR.

#4 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

LEGO Knight of Minas Ithil

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:25 AM

What's your favourite game mechanic in the game? =D

And do show us pictures of events from There and Back Again.

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

#5 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:36 AM

Going to have to look at a review since the ill willed company did not send me a review copy.  But I'm expecting the same bad combat mechanics and sub-par parody comedy story.  It's a fair thing to assume... it is... all recent LEGO games have just been boring to watch and / or play.  I'm still confused what I was supposed to gain from LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean.

#6 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:50 AM

Yea, had a chance to look at it.  I dunno why you people find it so fun.  It's a repetitive misadventure on rails.  About the only freedom you get is a bit of open area and choosing to fail quicktime events.  And that's not in the spirit of LEGO at all.  No recent LEGO game is really reflective of the freedom and creativity of playing with LEGOs at all.  Which is a shame.  Not only that, the game has some performance issues on the PC, and graphical issues as well.  Bad porting.  But bad porting is not an excuse for the lazy swiping of audio from the movie, and just mimicking the very image of the movie.  The only writing in this is whether or not to add a random giraffe to the scene or not.  One wonders where they focused their efforts since the gameplay isn't that great either.  Boring is a word for it.  It's just a lazy game.  I wish you people wouldn't buy and rate games based on nostalgia, because as a game, it's not good.

#7 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 11 April 2014 - 05:19 AM

I have actually only played LEGO Lord of the Rings PS3 upto Amon Hen and LEGO The Hobbit Demo. But here is my answer. ;p

1. The open area is the size of Middle-earth.
  2. If you want the freedom and spirit of real LEGO modular binding bricks on the computer try LEGO Digital Designer.
  3. Christopher Lee does the level introductions in LEGO The Hobbit, in fact it is Christopher Lee reading the Hobbit. Here is a recording of Christopher Lee reading The Children of Hurin to show you how good he is at narrating: http://youtu.be/DK7xBoEwO60?t=44m5s
  4. LEGO Lord of the Rings had references to the books that were not in the movies. So far I have found Tom Bombadil and the Barrow-wights.

#8 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:15 AM

Yes, I will say the Christopher Lee segments are very nicely done and written.  As are all lines written for and read by Sir Christopher Lee.

And of the brief game-play I saw of the Middle Earth open world, there just didn't seem to be any point behind it.  Unlocking different characters is fine and a nice running theme in these LEGO games.  But again... there just doesn't seem to be a point.  The combat variety is minimal and clunky, like in all these LEGO games.  I guess they wanted sure realism.  

But in reference to the desire for open freedom with building, in the style of LEGO, I don't particularly want to see something like the digital designer, which I have had fun with a few times.  But the linear building segments could be far more interesting.  Something in the guise of Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts would be something neat.

Edited by Pasidon, 11 April 2014 - 06:15 AM.

#9 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:42 AM

Admittingly that would be perfect. =D

Edited by MattTheLegoman, 11 April 2014 - 07:47 AM.

#10 GhostOfDurin

GhostOfDurin
  • Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:07 PM

What's your favourite game mechanic in the game? =D

And do show us pictures of events from There and Back Again.

There and Back Again isn't in the game yet, they are making it an addon/DLC after the movie comes out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users