binding gimli skeleton

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Grand Lethal

Grand Lethal
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:17 AM

I've been trying to bind Gimli's skeleton to Theoden's model as a test, mainly for a new unit idea I have. I've been using the tutorial by Rob38 and it's been great, I actually got a half decent result when I originally bound Aragorn's skeleton to Theoden's model. I thought I'd try Gimli's skeleton instead as I'm looking for meatier 2-handed attack animations but I've just been getting worse results (some hilariously bad).

When binding the skeleton to the model, should I rescale the skeleton to match the model size? I've been doing that but I can't seem to get a good result. I didn't rescale Aragorn's skeleton (mainly because it pretty much fit the model). Does moving/rescaling the bones have adverse effects on the binding and the animation? Can anyone offer some extra binding tips (especially if they relate to Gimli's skeleton), or is this something I'll have to do another 100 times to get right?

#2 Lusta

Lusta
  • Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:43 AM

Hello, you can modify the skeleton when you binding it, scaleing it up or down, change the arm's bones to fit the model,

or you can scale down the model to the skeleton then scale the model in code.

(Lusta means Lazy)

my mod beta is linked here

#3 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:58 AM

Don't change the skeleton, just alter the model to fit the skeleton, then scale it up in code afterwards. 

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#4 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  • Projects:It'sa secreeet
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Expert
  • Donated

Posted 16 March 2014 - 01:40 PM

You cannot alter the skeleton because the skeleton's proportions need to match the animations. If you change the bones on the skeleton, then the animations will look incredibly distorted.

Just change the model by manually altering the mesh until it fits he proportion of the skeleton. Then as Mathijs said, bind it and use a bit of code to scale the model up to make it larger in game.

https://www.twitch.tv/vileartist - Yes shameless self-promotion

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Old modders never die, they just fade away" ~ Hostile

#5 Grand Lethal

Grand Lethal
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:01 PM

Thanks for the advice :) Following that I started loosely following an animation tutorial on CnC Labs and I tried binding Gimli's model to his ATKA animation so I could attempt to alter it to make a new one, since it is the most like the attacking animation I'd like for my unit (a strong, downward stroke/slam for a huge warhammer). I may have been a bit ambitious with this ... binding a model to an animation is possibly the most frustrating thing I've ever tried. It's a shame you can't import BFME2 skeletons as I'd just use Gloin's :(

I've done an okay job for my first try despite it taking me hours upon hours. There's just one vertex that just doesn't look right no matter what I bind it to. Gah! I was thinking, is it possible to just take a pre-existing animation, edit it and save it as something else (e.g: rugimli_ATKE.w3d), and have it automatically work with the skeleton because it's already using the appropriate bones and whatnot? (Obviously the in-game code would have to reference the new animation). If I have to bind models to the specific animations in order to make new animations I think my soul will evaporate.

#6 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  • Projects:It'sa secreeet
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Expert
  • Donated

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:24 AM

If you are wanting to alter an animation then the binding does not need to be perfect, you only export the animation as a skeleton not a model, so the binding is only so you can see how your animation looks.

And yes, your theory is correct. Any animation with the same scaling and bones will fit the skeleton.

https://www.twitch.tv/vileartist - Yes shameless self-promotion

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Old modders never die, they just fade away" ~ Hostile

#7 Lusta

Lusta
  • Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 06:55 AM

Well for me to relocate the sekelton bone's or deleting the unnneded ones when binding it, doesn't effected the saved model (saved with rigth sekeleton from original). When reloaded the model, it had the original skeleton with all the bones and the animation work as they should be (except if I misbinded some parts). Sorry if I misleaded.

(Lusta means Lazy)

my mod beta is linked here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users