Hotkeys

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Faramir7

Faramir7
  • Project Team
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:18 AM

First of all great work on everything you guys have done here! I might come and help out when I get some more free time.

Since you guys have such a good understanding of the game, I'm wondering if you know how to customize the hotkeys? I know that for different languages, there are different hotkeys so it should be possible to manipulate them right?

Thanks in advance!

#2 ICT

ICT

-

• Veterans
  • 3,075 posts
  •  -- MOC --
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:Online Admin

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:47 AM

Yes thats possible. The tutorial I've found on the3rdage.net is a bit outdated, maybe I'll write an extended one or I overlooked another version.

However for the quick start: which Bfme version, which patches and language are we talking about?

"To know what question we may reasonably propose is in itself a strong evidence of sagacity or intelligence. For if a question be in itself incongruous and begs for uncalled-for answers, it holds, sometimes, besides embarrassing the proposer, the disadvantage to seduce the unguarded listener into giving absurd answers, and we are presented with the ridiculous spectacle of one (as the ancients said) milking the he-goat, and the other holding a sieve beneath."

#3 Faramir7

Faramir7
  • Project Team
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:48 AM

It's for bfme1, patch 1.06 I guess since it's the last (but that shouldnt matter much should it?) and language english

#4 ICT

ICT

-

• Veterans
  • 3,075 posts
  •  -- MOC --

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:27 AM

Yes it matters for several reasons. Your case is the easy one though. To modify the existing hotkeys do as follows (you may want to adjust the corresponding description strings as well)

Open '_patch106.big' (your installation directory) with finalbig and extract data\lotr.str

Open lotr.str with your favourite editor (like notepad++).

This file contains the ingame strings, you are allowed to modify anything encapsulated by two ". The character for the shortcut is defined by a pre-put ampersand.

Example:

"Guard &Unit"

This tells the game that 'U' will be the hotkey for guard unit. Do not change the file encoding.

After you have made your modifications, save the file lotr.str and create a new .big with finalbig.

Add the file lotr.str in finalbig with the path data\lotr.str

I suggest saving the new .big as '_patch106CustomEnglish.big'

Copy this file to your installation directory.

// Edit: Moved to BFME1 Modding

Edited by ICT, 31 March 2014 - 10:35 AM.

"To know what question we may reasonably propose is in itself a strong evidence of sagacity or intelligence. For if a question be in itself incongruous and begs for uncalled-for answers, it holds, sometimes, besides embarrassing the proposer, the disadvantage to seduce the unguarded listener into giving absurd answers, and we are presented with the ridiculous spectacle of one (as the ancients said) milking the he-goat, and the other holding a sieve beneath."

#5 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:04 AM

Won't this cause OOS issues?

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#6 Faramir7

Faramir7
  • Project Team
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:05 AM

Thanks!

#7 ICT

ICT

-

• Veterans
  • 3,075 posts
  •  -- MOC --

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:11 AM

No, apparently it doesnt. Think about other languages ;).

Edited by ICT, 31 March 2014 - 11:12 AM.

#8 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:24 AM

No, apparently it doesnt. Think about other languages ;).

I know. Still, I am very wary of these individual edits.

Anyway, I trust in your expertise on this subject. ;)

And welcome, Faramir7! 

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#9 Faramir7

Faramir7
  • Project Team
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:37 AM

Just tested it and it worked in a game on gameranger! Didn't went OOS, although I did only play for ~5mins. Will test some more

#10 Valheru

Valheru

Ashen Shugar

• Project Team
  • 765 posts
  • Projects:patching & see

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:33 AM

I can confirm after many years of using different hotkeys that it wont cause OoS issues

SEE_Team_Rigger.jpg

#11 Duro2321

Duro2321
  • Members
  • 63 posts
  • Projects:Mastering bfme1
  •  Sexy and i know it!

Posted 29 May 2014 - 05:03 PM

What kinda hotkeys do you need in this game? Only ones i use is ctrl+number and just tag the barracks or somethink. Like number 3 is usually the barracks or the pit, number 1 is army and number 2 in the heroes for example. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users