Photo

game mode idea for those with lag (if it's possible anyway)

25 replies to this topic

#1 a.fake.name

a.fake.name

title available

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:17 PM

So for those with massive lag in GC, I have an idea that may help.
Needless to say, not sure how much would be doable but worth a post at least......

Anyway, is it possible to add some method to have the game load week to week (or some part of a week) at a time.

Basically, rather than deal with the game going painfully slow, it just advances in time, complete with building/research/income advancing.

I'm wondering because the GC map basically goes super slow-mo for me, on my really old single core PC.

Playing PR when stoned is awesome

#2 evilbobthebob

evilbobthebob

evilbobthemapper

• Project Team
  • 2,304 posts
  • Projects:Phoenix Rising Maps
  •  Phoenix Rising Mapping Lead

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:24 PM

That's not really possible I'm afraid. Anyway, the loading times are long enough for many GCs to make that worse than simple playing it out.

We've been working hard on improving performance so hopefully you see improvements in the next version.

Phoenix Rising, head of mapping. Thanks to everyone who got us to the position below!
Posted Image

#3 a.fake.name

a.fake.name

title available

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:14 PM

That's not really possible I'm afraid. Anyway, the loading times are long enough for many GCs to make that worse than simple playing it out.

We've been working hard on improving performance so hopefully you see improvements in the next version.

Yeah, the latest version of PR is lots faster than the previous one on my PC.
It's more of a me issue than a PR issue.

#4 P.O._210877

P.O._210877

Traveller in the Balance

• Project Team
  • 796 posts
  • Location:L'Épiphanie, Québec (Fédération canadienne du Royaume du Canada)
  • Projects:Phoenix Rising
  •  Tester/Translator/Resident SW Loremaster (self proclaimed)

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:13 AM

Don't hit yourself too hard with that stick Fake, 1.2 has been improved upon. So that makes it you AND the still optimizable PR that you're running.

If it's hard then it's worth doing.

- Alcor, Alcor pardonne-moi mais je ne veux pas que tu meurs. Je ne veux
pas que la planète bleue soit mise à feu et à sang par ces monstres. Je
me battrai pour les empêcher de détruire ce qui est devenue ma Terre.
Goldorak m'aidera. Au besoin, j'irai jusqu'au camp de la Lune Noire
puisque c'est là que Véga et ses monstres ont établi leur base. Et je la
détruirai.

Actarus

#5 a.fake.name

a.fake.name

title available

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:23 AM

I'm not going to argue that none of it is PRs fault (other mods tend to run much smoother in GC), that said what PR adds to the game is worth it.

Don't hit yourself too hard with that stick Fake, 1.2 has been improved upon. So that makes it you AND the still optimizable PR that you're running.

I'm not saying PR doesn't cause some of the lag, I'm just ignoring that because it's worth it.

That said, I'm greatly looking foward to pay up front in 1.3
It shall make research less of a headache, since some go fast and some go slow.

#6 ashiruni

ashiruni
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:57 PM

You can do that now if you change the "<pay_as_you_go>True</pay_as_you_go>" value in gameconstants.xml (C:\program files\lucasarts\star wars empire at war forces of corruption\mods\phoenix rising 1.2\xml\gameconstants.xml by default) to false. I've found it helps a bit (not a ton, but a bit) with lag as well.

Edited by ashiruni, 18 April 2014 - 09:58 PM.

#7 a.fake.name

a.fake.name

title available

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 04:27 AM

You can do that now if you change the "<pay_as_you_go>True</pay_as_you_go>" value in gameconstants.xml (C:\program files\lucasarts\star wars empire at war forces of corruption\mods\phoenix rising 1.2\xml\gameconstants.xml by default) to false. I've found it helps a bit (not a ton, but a bit) with lag as well.

Thanks!

#8 a.fake.name

a.fake.name

title available

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:05 AM

Further update:
This has changed the game for me.
The lag is almost entirely gone.

#9 a.fake.name

a.fake.name

title available

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 05:37 PM

And with a new game at around the 30 week mark, I'd like to confirm that pay as you go was the cause of a good deal of the lag.

#10 evilbobthebob

evilbobthebob

evilbobthemapper

• Project Team
  • 2,304 posts
  • Projects:Phoenix Rising Maps
  •  Phoenix Rising Mapping Lead

Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:08 PM

Interesting result, not something I would have expected necessarily. I don't think we've specifically noticed that when we made the same change, but it happened along with a lot of others so anything specific there was difficult to measure.

Phoenix Rising, head of mapping. Thanks to everyone who got us to the position below!
Posted Image

#11 a.fake.name

a.fake.name

title available

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:43 PM

My guess is that is results in fewer things for lower end PCs to keep track of, resulting in less of a lag hit.

#12 skie9173

skie9173

Rebel (not so) High Command

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:53 PM

I was thinking and had an idea that is a variation of something that's been put forth before, pirate/neutral stations spawning garrisons. One of the problems with this idea was that there is a cheapness involved with players being able to take out the station and retreat and thus avoid fighting the full garrison fleet.

Is it possible to make it so that certain ships would give a bonus back to the pirate base, space station ect to buff the station to the point where the player basically has to eliminate the ships first?
Example: The Empire moves to conquer a neutral Rendili. The Rendili defense fleet has a static number of Dreadnaught Heavy Cruisers in orbit, and the level 5 astroid base generates an Invincible-class and say several Neb-Bs. The "pirate" version of an Invincible-class give the level 5 base say +300% hull and +300% shields while the Invincible is still active, similar to how Han gives the Falcon or Wedge gives his fighter bonuses in previous versions of the mod.

This forces players to take down the pirate fleet before destroying the stations and taking control of the planetary space. It's not super elegant and I have more thoughts in mind but want to gage interest/feasibility before I rant more.
There is no emotion, there is peace. There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity. There is no death, there is the Force.

#13 a.fake.name

a.fake.name

title available

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 07:23 PM

I was thinking and had an idea that is a variation of something that's been put forth before, pirate/neutral stations spawning garrisons. One of the problems with this idea was that there is a cheapness involved with players being able to take out the station and retreat and thus avoid fighting the full garrison fleet.

Is it possible to make it so that certain ships would give a bonus back to the pirate base, space station ect to buff the station to the point where the player basically has to eliminate the ships first?
Example: The Empire moves to conquer a neutral Rendili. The Rendili defense fleet has a static number of Dreadnaught Heavy Cruisers in orbit, and the level 5 astroid base generates an Invincible-class and say several Neb-Bs. The "pirate" version of an Invincible-class give the level 5 base say +300% hull and +300% shields while the Invincible is still active, similar to how Han gives the Falcon or Wedge gives his fighter bonuses in previous versions of the mod.

This forces players to take down the pirate fleet before destroying the stations and taking control of the planetary space. It's not super elegant and I have more thoughts in mind but want to gage interest/feasibility before I rant more.

Personally I'd rather just make the fleet respawn each battle to prevent that.

#14 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy
  • Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:47 PM

I tried to edit this because I hate the way money trickles by default but my path ends here: "C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Empire at War Forces of Corruption\Mods\Phoenix_Rising_v1.2" in the Phoenix_Rising_v1.2 folder I have a 'Data' folder, a 'pr' Icon, a 'pr_v1.2_manual' Adobe document, a 'pr_v1.2_readme' notepad document, and a 'pr_v1.2_uninstall' application. I tried a search for 'gameconstants.xml' but my computer found nothing. I'm a little stumped. :huh:

Don't take anything I say seriously, EVER!

#15 megabalta

megabalta

title available

• Project Team
  • 302 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:16 AM

Step into that 'Data' folder, and open config.meg with a program called FinalBig. A .meg file is a compilation of other files, therein you'll find the .xml you seek.

#16 a.fake.name

a.fake.name

title available

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:29 AM

Mega, you don't happen to have a list of various editable values such as that do you ?

#17 megabalta

megabalta

title available

• Project Team
  • 302 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:26 AM

Nah, I'm just an eager amateur in xml editing. It's mostly like: I don't like this, how to change it? Oh there's the xml controlling it, let's see, could this line be it? Kcuf, it didn't do anything, oh wait it crashed the game. Where's the safety copy. Repeat. 

#18 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy
  • Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:40 PM

Step into that 'Data' folder, and open config.meg with a program called FinalBig. A .meg file is a compilation of other files, therein you'll find the .xml you seek.

Cool, thanks! :)

Edited by Gumballthechewy, 14 May 2014 - 02:40 PM.

#19 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy
  • Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 11:35 PM

Anyone got any other tips to maybe speed it up a bit? I thought I had a somewhat decent computer but GC, especially GFFA really bog it down.

#20 a.fake.name

a.fake.name

title available

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 07:08 AM

Aside from the obvious unplug the internet and kill all other possible processes (windows, too), no not yet.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users