#1 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Artist

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:43 PM

Can't believe we've never had a thread about cakes and sweets. Imma gonna go and start with a Norwegian classic called "Verdens beste" / World's best, which just had a small article on huffpost about it.

link

This cake was awarded the title of Norway’s National Cake a few years back. It’s called verdens beste in Norwegian, and I agree that it just might be the world’s best. You may be skeptical of its superiority, since it isn’t iced as are many American cakes. When we photographed it, I left it at the studio apartment of Alexandra Grablewski, this book’s photographer, and the next day she confessed to having eaten two huge servings. “I guess the Norwegians are right,” she said.

o-SWEET-PAUL-CAKE-570.jpg

The meringue cooked together with the  batter and the cream makes this a magical piece of cake. you bake it large enough to have two layers and put the cream between. It also sort of reminds me of the pavlova; meringue bottom, whipped cream and fruits on top.

Anyway, I got plenty of others but I think I'll stop there for now. There's probably plenty of these around the world, and to be honest its probably the closest proof we have to how well we really have it when we can brag about cakes like these.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#2 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:57 PM

So is that like a lemon cake?  That looks amazing.  Except for the nuts.  I hate nuts with sweets, and I don't get the appeal.  Like nuts in ice cream?  It's just awkward.  But that cake looks great.  I like the cream in between the layers like that.

20130215093321.jpg

My favorite is an oreo ice cream cake.  It has all the best properties of both cake, ice cream, and cookies.  The crumpled oreo base and distinctive oreo filling ice cream is one of the most delicious things ever conceived. 

Edited by Pasidon, 09 April 2014 - 10:57 PM.

#3 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Job:Leader

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:00 PM

Everyone's always so surprised when I tell them that I don't really like cake. I guess spending the better part of your life being allergic to eggs and nuts really helps with resisting the sweet stuff.

Anyway, in an attempt to not immediately go off-topic, one kind of 'cake' I do like is the Dutch tompouce. 

tompouce_3D_2.jpg

Very straight-forward, nearly impossible to eat without ruining the layers and shape, but it's what I like, occasionally :p

Oh and I do like very light and fluffy cheesecake, like this:

kwarktaart.jpg

But Duke, just looking at your cake makes me nauseous. I really can't stand the taste/texture of that kind of thick, yellow, 99% egg-filled cake. Ugh. The Dutch can't seem to get enough of it. It's the number one food at funerals:

1_cake.jpg

Gross.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#4 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:26 PM

lol Dutch people.

I actually don't like cheese cake.  I can't stand the idea of a cake made of cottage cheese.

#5 Elric

Elric

Designer

• Hosted
  • 2,857 posts
  • Projects:Middle-Earth Expanded
  •  Coder
  • Donated

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:23 AM

Pas for once i totally agree with you,

Now if its straight up sweets then i would have to say straight fudge is my fav! :D

#6 The Splat

The Splat
  • Hosted
  • 30 posts
  • Projects:Sail 7 Seas

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:56 AM

Hmm I personally like 100 year old cake , the way its made is from a mixture that's supposed to be used like a "seed" mixture.

You add the same amount again and then place half the mix into a cooking tin and the other half ?? it gets passed onto the next person in the que for the chain letter cake mix.

I was without a doubt the best cake I ever had : despite only ever eating it once.

sadly I didn't take a picture at the time.

#7 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

LEGO Knight of Minas Ithil

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  • Projects:Mapping this Middle-earth
  •  Mapper
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:21 AM

I guess we all can agree that the best cake is cheesecake. =D

Pasidon - it is made of Philadelphia cheese (aka cream cheese), which is smooth and tangy. Although cottage cheese gives me an idea for a variety of Savoury cheesecake. =D

Mixed%20Berry%20Chcake%2010d%20(158BERRC

Edited by MattTheLegoman, 10 April 2014 - 01:24 AM.

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

#8 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:22 AM

No... no...

+ And I also hate cream cheese.  Just an unlumpy version of cottage cheese.

100 year old cake?  Reminds me of something.

Edited by Pasidon, 10 April 2014 - 01:27 AM.

#9 Irenë Hawnetyne

Irenë Hawnetyne

-

• Hosted
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:44 AM

I'm a simply chocolate gal here, but I'll eat anything and everything cakish. Hence, I think my favourite would either be a gateau, or the Pizza Hut cake:

2848834493_c3c1d1c573.jpg

Omnomnomnomnom.

"Everyone's a hero when there's nowhere left to run."

Auxiliary Skarn, 2333rd Cohort

#10 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:49 AM

No... no...

+ And I also hate cream cheese.  Just an unlumpy version of cottage cheese.

100 year old cake?  Reminds me of something.

Oh Seinfeld. Still awesome.

#11 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  • Projects:It'sa secreeet
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Expert
  • Donated

Posted 10 April 2014 - 01:08 PM

The cake is a lie.

https://www.twitch.tv/vileartist - Yes shameless self-promotion

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Old modders never die, they just fade away" ~ Hostile

#12 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:10 PM

Booo.

Seinfeld is still amazing.  And John O'Hurley; the legend.  And Julia Louis-Dryfus, who recently did a nude cover photo for Rolling Stones magazine that was very strange.  

And Renny... Pizza Hut cake?  Say what?

#13 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:12 PM

That nude cover photo isn't strange. It's awesome.

#14 duke_Qa

duke_Qa

I've had this avatar since... 2003?

• Network Staff
  • 3,837 posts
  • Job:Artist

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:58 PM

I guess its time to rail the cake-train back on track with some more cakes.

Pavlova cake picture

pavlova_1775560c.jpg

As mentioned above: Incredible good, more like a molten ice-cream with meringue though. but still awesome.

Ice-cake with caramel chocolate.

thumb.jpg

The only cake my mother really knows how to make which is very good, home-made ice cream on top of a hazel-nut pastry dough, mixed with crushed hard-crack caramel chocolate of your choice and chocolate drizzle on top.

A Norwegian bastion of intermediate level, the marzipan cake with strawberry filling. probably also known as birthday cake.

marsipankake.jpg

This one is probably very common around the world. sugar-bread, cream with strawberry jam between the bread and cream and the lid of marzipan on top. I love Marzipan so this goes down very well with me, but it's nothing special. Everyone can make it, the biggest challenge is getting the lid to look nice.

Pasidon: I don't understand this modern hip-hop Oreo-cake fad. It will wither and die soon enough :). Though I guess I should try a slice before I call it off. Anyway, the "world's best" ain't a lemon cake, there's no lemon in the dough.

But Duke, just looking at your cake makes me nauseous. I really can't stand the taste/texture of that kind of thick, yellow, 99% egg-filled cake. Ugh. The Dutch can't seem to get enough of it. It's the number one food at funerals.

Well get less allergic to nuts and eggs then (So glad I don't have any food allergies). I guess the dutch and the Scandinavian cake culture is related, as this is pretty much what we live for up here in big events. I'll take some pictures on 17th of may, our national day, where there will be many many meters of cake of all sorts around.

I think I've tried that tompouce with the thin layer of crust on top of the cream, its very demanding to get to, yes, but reminds me of the napoleon cake, so not too bad I suppose.

Matt: I've made a few cheese-cakes like that in my time, though I use oranges, grapes and green/yellow jelly to get it a more fresh taste, and a very sweet bottom pastry.

ostekake_med_druer.jpg?itok=9yQUF3yN

Ire: Haven't even begun on different chocolate cakes. They aren't as prestigious up here as the cream cakes, but there are a few. Maybe next post.

"I give you private information on corporations for free and I'm a villain. Mark Zuckerberg gives your private information to corporations for money and he's 'Man of the Year.'" - Assange

#15 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:57 PM

More good looking cakes.  Although, I fear if that bottom one is featuring grapes on its top... speaking of awkward textures with your pastry, 

Pasidon: I don't understand this modern hip-hop Oreo-cake fad. It will wither and die soon enough :). Though I guess I should try a slice before I call it off. 

Uhh... well, you probably don't understand it because you haven't tried to understand it.  As in... putting a piece in your gullet.  Oreos themselves aren't anything spectacular in my opinion, but the granular texture of the cookie meal and unique sweetness of the cream in a frozen form is sublime, I dare say; quite.  I picked the cake with the best flavor, and I don't think it can be matched.

#16 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:44 PM

I had some frozen yoghurt with oreo bits today.

#17 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:47 PM

Hmm... dunno about Yogurt.  How was that?

#18 Radspakr Wolfbane

Radspakr Wolfbane

The John Farnham of modding

• Members
  • 7,722 posts
  • Projects:Comeback tour
  •  The Retired Beard

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:37 AM

Do love me some Cheesecake.

I used to have a bakery on my block that made really good cakes and slices for really cheap and since they closed down I can't even remember the last cake I had that I didn't make myself.

Break dancing into the hearts of millions

#19 The Splat

The Splat
  • Hosted
  • 30 posts
  • Projects:Sail 7 Seas

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:53 PM

The Seinfeld Episode was hilarious , and i'm not even that big a fan .

For those interested seems this cake isn't as "well loved" as Id have made you think it was checkout the spoiler if you need more information lol.

Now im not sure about all this cake stuff but one cake i'm putting on my bucket list to eat before im dead is the malteaser cake 33237_l.jpg

#20 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  •  I Help

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:59 PM

That looks like a great cake, but how the heck are you supposed to eat those hard malts on the fringes?  People who eat cake with a fork will be stuck on those from hence forth to kingdom come.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users