coding mapping animation skinning

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Grand Lethal

Grand Lethal
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:44 PM

I remember reading years ago that the reason walkable walls weren't build-able in BFME2/ROTWK was because the pathfinding was messed up for it. Was that the case for ALL walkable walls or just EALA's attempt at making build-able ones? I was wondering because I'd like to make a mod that adds in the BFME base-building system back to RotWK but keeps the Fortresses in place of the Citadels. I know that would be all handled in the .base files through worldbuilder, but if walkable wall pathfinding is completely broken I'll probably just have to give up that dream.

I just want to make a mod where you can have epic fortress sieges like in BFME 1, though even better, with more Siege options per faction to make them play differently.

My second question is way more ambitious: has anyone ever successfully used the World Builder's camera to make in-game cutscenes? I was watching the Collector's Edition bonus DVD and it mentioned that that's how they made them. Just wondering if anyone has had any success. It's undoubtedly out of my league but I'd like to try over the summer when my new PC is up and running.

#2 The Splat

The Splat
  • Hosted
  • 30 posts
  • Projects:Sail 7 Seas

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:38 AM

The second question I can answer for you , yes successful move of the camera by making a camera animation.

And better yet its very easy to do , the is a tutorial and all on BFME heaven look it up.

For the walls all I can suggest is you take a look at the coding for helmns deep  (itll be a .ini file) wall in the .big file.

then simply add in a Build logic to your chosen builder to make that buildable. (Commandset Construct ) 

#3 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:22 PM

Take a look at RJ-RotWK, that mod adds BFME1 castles with functional walls ;)

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#4 Grand Lethal

Grand Lethal
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:42 PM

Thanks for the responses! I'm glad that making cinematics is much easier than I imagined. I can't wait to give it a try :D I remember playing RJ-RotWK ages ago but I must've forgotten about the BMFE1 base building in it. The main thing that I remember about the mod is the re-introduction of the BFME1 campaign via War of the Ring mode, which was awesome, and also something that I hope to add to my mod ... I'm not ambitious at all :p

#5 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:06 PM

Ambition's a good thing.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#6 Grand Lethal

Grand Lethal
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:28 PM

I was wondering: is it possible to code both of the original BFME 2 campaigns back into RotWK? I know you can simply edit out the Angmar campaign for one of them but I was hoping that I could add both of them back in? Is it a matter of adding one or two more buttons to the Single Player button list or is it more complicated than that? Also, is it possible to edit the existing campaigns, be it the Good, Evil or Angmar's campaigns, to be more than 8 missions long? Or is that hard coded in and something that I'd have to do via War of the Ring mode?

I'm hoping to re-do the campaigns completely but I want to work with RotWK because there are more coding options available. I apologise if it just sounds like I want all the answers without doing any searching but I can't really find the answers I'm looking for via Google and I don't have access to any BFME files because my PC is dead at the minute. 

Edited by Grand Lethal, 20 April 2014 - 08:32 PM.

#7 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

LEGO Knight of Minas Ithil

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  • Projects:Mapping this Middle-earth
  •  Mapper
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 21 April 2014 - 02:33 AM

It may be best to wait until you can look at it yourself.

I would look through RotWK's campaign inis found in data/ini/campaign/ and the maps

Compare it to BfMEII's campaign files and maps

You will need to extract the contents of ini.big and Maps.big in both RotWK and BfMEII if you haven't done so already.

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

#8 DeeZire

DeeZire
  • Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 07:18 AM

I've done what you are describing in RoTWK and it's very time consuming, frustrating and there is a lot more work involved than you'd imagine to get those working as they should do. There are all kinds of complications as they were built to support the citadel system as well as the living world concept and this is before you get into the subtle coding nuances between the engines.

So yes it can be done but it will take you literally months if not more. You have to ask yourself if you're willing to stick with it for that long and if that time and effort commitment is going to be worthwhile just so you can play some missions that you can simply load up and play in another game in a couple of minutes.

And of course to get 2 campaigns available at once in RoTWK needs the .apt files editing which is tricky as it will normally rely on you completing one campaign to make the other one available.

Edited by DeeZire, 18 May 2014 - 07:21 AM.

#9 Grand Lethal

Grand Lethal
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 06:44 PM

Sorry for raising this thread from the dead, but I thought it'd be better than making a new one.

Thanks for the input, DeeZire =] I figured it'd be a lot of work, maybe not THAT much :p I imagine a custom War of the Ring scenario for a new/old Campaign would work? I mean it works great in RJ-RotWK.

---

But, my current question is: Has anyone managed to recreate EA's original "Last Stand" concept? Whereby Boromir will continue fighting for X amount of seconds after his HP reaches 0%? I imagine using the code that does this for trolls would work but I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for. 

My best guess would be that the troll's post-death rampage behaviour is triggered by this line of code?

Behavior = AIUpdateInterface ModuleTag_03
		AutoAcquireEnemiesWhenIdle	= Yes ATTACK_BUILDINGS
		AILuaEventsList				= TrollFunctions
		RampageTime					=	4470
		AttackPriority				= AttackPriority_Cavalry
End

I doubt it'd be a simple as copying it over to Boromir's code. I have no idea where the AILuaEvenstList is located otherwise I'd have a look through that and see if I can put anything together.

Making it a levelled skill might be a challenge, but the Mouth of Sauron's "Doubt/Dissent" code (TriggerSpecialPower = ) might be the ticket (it worked for making the auto healing from the Wells a levelled passive ability), I just need a push in the right direction and I'll try and put something together.

EDIT:

I've had a look at GothmogTheOrc's "Boromir, Captain of Gondor" mod and the ability works fine in it. I've had a look at the code and in Boromir's ini file and matched it, but now when "Last Stand" triggers, Boromir still fights away but the camera fades away as if he's dead and there are no more units in the area?

EDIT 2:

Ah, I hadn't matched the code entirely. EA's left over code was missing some vital bits. The ability works like a charm! I just need some FX that actually works now, huzzah. 

Edited by Grand Lethal, 28 October 2014 - 07:25 PM.

#10 Grand Lethal

Grand Lethal
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 09:16 PM

Sorry for the double post, but this is on something slightly different.

I have Last Stand working almost as I want it to. I'm trying to make it so that when Last Stand triggers (when Boromir dies) he gets a new weaponset and a modifier applied to him. Think Gimli's Slayer ability that's passively triggered rather than pressed. Is that possible? Since the Last Stand code doesn't use a SpecialPower as a reference I'm kind of at a loss. This is what I've been trying:

//----- LAST STAND ----------------------------------------------------------------

Behavior = UnpauseSpecialPowerUpgrade ModuleTag_TheodenLeadership
		SpecialPowerTemplate = SpecialAbilityFakeLeadership2
		TriggeredBy = Upgrade_BoromirLastStand
	End
	Behavior = SpecialPowerModule ModuleTag_TheodenLeadershipUpdate   
		SpecialPowerTemplate      = SpecialAbilityFakeLeadership2
		UpdateModuleStartsAttack  = No
		StartsPaused = Yes
	End
	Behavior = ActivateModuleSpecialPower ModuleTag_MouthOfSauronDoubtMover02
		SpecialPowerTemplate		= SpecialAbilityFakeLeadership2
		StartAbilityRange			= 300
		TriggerSpecialPower			= ModuleTag_KnifeFighterPowerUpdate
	End
	Behavior = WeaponModeSpecialPowerUpdate ModuleTag_KnifeFighterPowerUpdate
		SpecialPowerTemplate	= SpecialAbilityFakeLeadership2
		Duration				= 15000			; Needs to match SpecialAbilityGimliHeroMode
		AttributeModifier		= BoromirLastStand
		;LockWeaponSlot			= SECONDARY
		WeaponSetFlags			= WEAPONSET_TOGGLE_1
		StartsPaused			= Yes
		;InitiateSound 			= AragornBladeMaster		;this doesn't work
	End
;----
	Body = DelayedDeathBody ModuleTag_DelayedDeathBody ;DelayedDeath is a variation of RespawnBody
		CheerRadius 				= EMOTION_CHEER_RADIUS
		MaxHealth				= 2500 ;BOROMIR_HEALTH		; BALANCE
        	MaxHealthDamaged  			= 1000 ;;;BOROMIR_HEALTH        
        	MaxHealthReallyDamaged 			= 10 ;;;BOROMIR_HEALTH  
       		DoHealthCheck                = Yes    ; Don't want to get the delayed death behaviour when we die normally.
		DelayedDeathTime			= 15000		; Amount of time spent still fighting after being killed
		DelayedDeathPrerequisiteUpgrade		= Upgrade_BoromirLastStand	; Need this upgrade to be able to delay my death.
		InvulnerableFX				= FX_BoromirLastStand02

PermanentlyKilledByFilter		= NONE		;Who kills me permanently?
 		DodgePercent      			= HERO_DODGE_PERCENT		
	End

The second block (lines 616 onward) works like a charm, I just can't seem to make the first block of code work. I have a new Weaponset and ModelConditionState for the switch of weapon. I'm probably asking the impossible since don't modifiers -stop- working once a unit is (technically) dead? I just wanted to give the ability a bit of a supercharge since it only keeps Boromir alive for a further 15 seconds. He he suddenly turned into a raging warrior who deals more damage at a faster rate with an arcing weapon killing him would come with a major consequence for the enemy. Maybe that's why EA sacked the ability?  :sad:

Edited by Grand Lethal, 28 October 2014 - 09:19 PM.

#11 Ridder Geel

Ridder Geel

Master Yelloh

• T3A Staff
  • 10,852 posts
  • Projects:RC Mod + SEE + RTS Engine
  •  The Dangerous T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 28 October 2014 - 11:40 PM

Well maybe somehow with a lua script event you could check if he has some sort of "raging" status, if so, the trigger the power.

Although i'm not sure that works, or if there even really is a specific state the unit goes into...

Ridder Geel

#12 -SilverBane-

-SilverBane-

Inactive Noob

• Project Team
  • 474 posts
  • Projects:Life
  •  Mapper & Coder

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:08 AM

check the troll, there is condition RAMPAGE. you could use that

2qm3dd5.jpg

#13 Grand Lethal

Grand Lethal
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 12:45 PM

I'm trying to make a new .bse file for the Elven faction, but it doesn't seem to be working. I've Hex Edited the file so the Fortress_Elven is read correctly, but my base doesn't fully show up. Every piece in the file is set to the Elven player and BASE, but it shows up in-game really fragmented, like this:

eNpf6Jx.png

I'm not sure why some pieces are showing up and others aren't.

#14 NewErr

NewErr

Elf-friend

• Project Team
  • 2,177 posts
  • Projects:Wars of The Firstborn
  •  World Wide Artist

Posted 04 November 2014 - 11:36 AM

Are you sure there isn't any asset error? You can check to see if the models show up in the game at all.

#15 Echo

Echo

T3A:Online

• T3A Staff
  • 1,069 posts
  • Projects:Lot3A
  •  ~~
  • Job:T3A Moderator
  • Donated

Posted 04 November 2014 - 02:42 PM

Are you sure there isn't any asset error? You can check to see if the models show up in the game at all.

I don't think it's an asset error. When I tried to put the existing castles for the 4 factions in, they would behave like that too - Rohan and Gondor would not unpack some of the castle objects even though they were all present when I opened the bases in worldbuilder.

26285.png

#16 Grand Lethal

Grand Lethal
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 10:42 AM

I'm glad that I'm not the only one having troubles. I'd like to create the walkable castles as the starting base (but keep the build-anywhere function), as I really think EALA made a massive mistake with removing them, but then this happens even though the assets are already in the game?

I know people have gotten it to work as I've seen screenshots of Castles in BFME2 and RotWK. I just don't know what is going wrong. Is there anyone who is still active who's had success with this? 

#17 Ridder Geel

Ridder Geel

Master Yelloh

• T3A Staff
  • 10,852 posts
  • Projects:RC Mod + SEE + RTS Engine
  •  The Dangerous T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 10 November 2014 - 02:34 PM

Aye the problem here most likely is that the collision boxes from the pieces of wall are a tad bit too big, so they conflict with each other, thus causing pieces of the wall to not appear...

A way to solve this would be to reduce the bounding box size that is defined in the code :p

(Unless this is not the problem, in which case we would have to look a bit further) :p

Ridder Geel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users