• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  • Projects:Mapping this Middle-earth
  •  Mapper
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:T3A Staff

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:12 AM

In the Desert

A picture book by Matthew Alexi Schimpf, otherwise known as MattTheLegoman.

I came second in the Annual Adventist Health Department Teaching Resource Project Competition. My resource will be distributed to members of the ACA Health Benefits Fun.

In the Desert is a story of a 12-year-old girl going through a sad time in her life, told through text and art. She has had problems at home and at school. Perhaps she has been bullied or hurt. Not all the children in school have wonderful lives; we live in a broken world.

One of her skills is that she is artistic. Although we do not get to see her paintbrushes out in the open, we do see her faithful cat. The cat shows what art style is used in the illustration. Art is a useful tool for dealing with and showing emotion.

The girl in the story could be anyone, which is why I wrote in present tense, second person.

For this picture book, the inspiration came from Shaun Tan’s The Red Tree. The Red Tree focuses on the feelings and unspoken ideas that come with depression. I wanted to create a narrative with more hope and strategies for a child dealing with depression.

Many teachers, students, friends, family and artists helped and inspired this work. Thank you for your support.

OobUnkq.png

Spoiler

Edited by MattTheLegoman, 08 November 2015 - 05:13 AM.

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

#2 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 30 May 2014 - 05:58 AM

Mustache cat... tentacle bush... horse leg... space beam... and tree things.  The whole gang is there.

#3 Irenë Hawnetyne

Irenë Hawnetyne

-

• Hosted
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 06:13 AM

What does any of this chaos mean about depression? And is really a picture book an appropriate way to deal with such a serious theme?

"Everyone's a hero when there's nowhere left to run."

Auxiliary Skarn, 2333rd Cohort

#4 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

LEGO Knight of Minas Ithil

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 31 May 2014 - 07:20 AM

These are teaser samples. Not the full page. =p Chaos and disorder does come through art making when one is depressed.

Narrative is one of the best ways of communicating issues like this.

I'm still organising whether or not I can separately publish In the Desert. (So that the Revora Creative Network can view it. =D )

Remember that all worlds draw to an end and that noble death is a treasure which no one is too poor to buy. - C.S. Lewis

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning. - Louis L'Amour

What will matter then will be people. If relationships will matter most then, shouldn't they matter most now? - Max Lucado

#5 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:47 AM

These are teaser samples. Not the full page. =p Chaos and disorder does come through art making when one is depressed.

Narrative is one of the best ways of communicating issues like this.

I'm still organising whether or not I can separately publish In the Desert. (So that the Revora Creative Network can view it. =D )

Updated main post. =p

This picture book is aimed for the Christian worldview.

#6 Irenë Hawnetyne

Irenë Hawnetyne

-

• Hosted
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 07:06 AM

Does it need this Christian worldview?

"Everyone's a hero when there's nowhere left to run."

Auxiliary Skarn, 2333rd Cohort

#7 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 01 June 2014 - 07:11 AM

It's smart publishing, actually.  Christian sponsors go nuts for hidden religious values.  I think this picture book could do quite well and would fit into a children's section in any major book retailer.

#8 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

• T3A Staff
  • 3,669 posts
  •  Mapper

Posted 18 June 2014 - 01:36 PM

A package with a cd and the book have arrived at all the schools. =D

And not only in Australia, but all the South Pacific as well. That includes New Zealand, Papua New Guinea and all the little islands like New Caledonia, Solomon Islands, Fiji, Tonga, Samoa, Cook Islands, ect. =D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users