title available

• Project Team
  • 260 posts
  • Projects:An Unexpected Mod
  •  Nothing... Really

Posted 05 June 2014 - 08:28 PM

This topic was actually a suggestion by Matt in my recent topic:

http://forums.revora...e-3#entry959736

I really couldn't believe this topic didn't exist already but I'm sure it's sprung up accidently countless times in other topics. So, as simple as it's title suggests, discuss. :cool:

Maybe this could get pinned... perhaps... eventually...  :rolleyes:

#2 Irenë Hawnetyne

Irenë Hawnetyne

-

• Hosted
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:02 PM

Maybe this could get pinned... perhaps... eventually...   :rolleyes:

If it'd deemed a good discussion, maybe.

Honestly, I love the 'free build' system of BFME2, and favour the Wild faction's diversity and the various new systems implemented in the sequel. Oh, and the improved WATER!

"Everyone's a hero when there's nowhere left to run."

Auxiliary Skarn, 2333rd Cohort

#3 Lenwë

Lenwë

title available

• Project Team
  • 260 posts
  •  Nothing... Really

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:13 PM

The build plots system is the most annoying thing about reverting back to BFME 1 after playing 2 for a while, 2 just allows for so much more strategy and creativity.

And that water, EA went to town on that!

#4 ICT

ICT

-

• Veterans
  • 3,075 posts
  •  -- MOC --
  • Division:BFME
  • Job:Online Admin

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:30 PM

I like some of the graphical improvements of its successor, but because I'm really bad at it i prefer the original all along ;)

"To know what question we may reasonably propose is in itself a strong evidence of sagacity or intelligence. For if a question be in itself incongruous and begs for uncalled-for answers, it holds, sometimes, besides embarrassing the proposer, the disadvantage to seduce the unguarded listener into giving absurd answers, and we are presented with the ridiculous spectacle of one (as the ancients said) milking the he-goat, and the other holding a sieve beneath."

#5 Mathijs

Mathijs

Post-modern Shaman

• Network Leaders
  • 13,756 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring
  • Division:Revora
  • Job:Leader

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:07 PM

No need for this thread to get pinned. Our opinions on BFME games are hardly vital information! :p

I largely prefer BFME1. Buildplots and resource/camp flags add a very unique sense of strategy which was completely removed in BFME2. Too bad, they should've improved and added to it instead. I like BFME2 for its greater modding versatility (TPW would not have been made for BFME1), but the vanilla game is pretty unplayable for me. Walls dropping like cardboard being the main reason. I also like some of the graphical improvements (water!), but other parts like the over-the-top bump mapping for structures and terrible shadows sort of cancel that out.

No fuel left for the pilgrims

#6 Duro2321

Duro2321
  • Members
  • 63 posts
  • Projects:Mastering bfme1
  •  Sexy and i know it!

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:25 PM

When i first played bfme1 i always wanted bfme2 with free placing of the buildings. When i got bfme2 it just got complicated. The unbalanced races especialy killed me. I always wanted to build walls in a match. Well to be honest i never got to the walls hehe. So i guess bfme1 is still much more easy to play for me. Even do i like bfme2!

Not to forget, that adding free building spaces is so much more strategial of a view. You all know how dwarfs rush in bfme2 with fast tunnels and such, which i brilliant! Still the unbalance between races killes me.

#7 Pasidon

Pasidon

Splitting Hares

• Network Admins
  • 9,126 posts
  • Projects:Writing Words With Letters
  •  I Help
  • Division:Community
  • Job:Community Admin

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:49 PM

It's basically a debate over if you prefer build plots or free-build.  I'm not playing a board game, so I prefer free-build since you have more freedom in your own strategy.  So yea, I prefer BFME 2.  And I do agree that BFME 2 was completely unbalanced for years.  Git, slag, gnat Dwarves and their units with ten million health...

Edited by Pasidon, 05 June 2014 - 10:49 PM.

#8 Zeta1127

Zeta1127

Supporter of P-canon

• Members
  • 415 posts
  • Projects:A Galaxy Far, Far Away
  •  Ancient Order of the Whills Clone Marshal Commander of the 89th Legion

Posted 05 June 2014 - 11:33 PM

I am pretty much concur with Mathijs, buildings in BfME 2 are way too flimsy, which leads me to prefer BfME and its build plots and resource/camp flag system. Between flimsy buildings without repair (save for a Good faction spell book power), a wall system that is far more suited to larger more open maps, resource buildings that take up way too much space on such small maps, a command point limit that evaporates quickly thanks to larger battalions/hordes that cost more command points and heroes now costing command points, the abandonment of discounts, folding Rohan into Gondor, and the liberties taken with the lore, I am torn over BfME 2. More factions, an interesting fortress system, and better graphics are great and all, but when one battalion/horde of swordsmen or spearmen/pikemen is practically guaranteed to destroy a resource building in moments, unless archers or walls are involved, what is the point?

"I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango Fett
"You are fooling yourself, Captain. Nothing here is what it seems. You are not the plucky hero, the Alliance is not an evil empire, and this is not the grand arena."
"And that's not incense." - The Operative and Inara Serra
"What you will see, if you leave the Mirror free to work, I cannot tell. For it shows things that were, and things that are, and things that yet maybe. But which it is that he sees, even the wisest cannot always tell. Do you wish to look?" - Galadriel
Clone Marshal Commander Zeta 1127 of the 89th Legion
Admiral Zebulon Wilhelm of Task Force Mystic/Fleet Junkie

#9 Bashkuga

Bashkuga

Because good guys are too mainstream

• Project Team
  • 2,039 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring Betatester and Mapper, Edain Mod Betatester
  •  Out of the frying pan, and into the fire..

Posted 06 June 2014 - 02:15 PM

What I hated in BFME 2 was that walls weren't walkable, and like mathijs said that they were destroyed in an instant by the weakest warriors in the game. Though graphical everything was much improved, and although the shadows were pixelated, those shadows are still way better than those cirkels from BFME1. Also units on fire running and screaming, love it!

Though I'm pro-buildplots, because I'm not very creative with free-building.

Edited by Bashkuga, 06 June 2014 - 02:16 PM.

#10 {IRS}Athos

{IRS}Athos

Non Sequitur

• Members
  • 4,008 posts
  • Projects:Ex-Advisor
  •  Resident Shakespearean.

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:44 PM

I greatly preferred BFME 1 to its successor. With the build-plot system, the game felt more unique. BFME 2, on the other hand, felt too "vanilla strategy" for my taste. If I want to spread my resource buildings over half the map, I'll play Age of Empires, where there's at least a good reason for having to spread them out.
BulletsfromaGunbanner_zps974f3ea8.png

Careful. This link is DANGEROUS. Do NOT click it. This one, however, is fine.

I had the meaning of life in my signature, but it exceeded the character limit.

#11 Lenwë

Lenwë

title available

• Project Team
  • 260 posts
  •  Nothing... Really

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:59 PM

Well, the building system seems to be the most controversial topic. This is understandable as it's probably the biggest change made between 1 and 2. I was "brought-up" with BFME 2 if you like. I first started playing 2 at my cousins house only about every six months or more. This meant that playing the game was really special and there was always something new to discover each time I played a skirmish. My parents then (when they decided I was old enough :thumbsdownsmiley:) bought BFME 1 one Christmas and because I was so used to number 2, the game just didn't feel the same. Therefore I naturally prefer *almost* everything about BFME 2  apart from the campaign.

And that is the history of how everything began...

Edited by Lenwë the Luscious, 08 June 2014 - 08:00 PM.

#12 Radspakr Wolfbane

Radspakr Wolfbane

The John Farnham of modding

• Members
  • 7,722 posts
  • Projects:Comeback tour
  •  The Retired Beard

Posted 09 June 2014 - 03:55 AM

BFME1 had the better and more unique gameplay and the plot system played a large part of that.

But because it was different at that point it limited the game from a lot of the usual RTS players because they felt the game was too simplistic with it's single infinite resource that pretty much took care of itself which left the player to focus more on combat than resource management.

BFME2 was always the more mainstream of the 2.

In an aside I like how Halo Wars handled their plot system it was similar to BFME1's but different and could work well for a console which made me realised they released the wrong BFME game for console.

BFME1 would have worked far better for console than BFME2.

Break dancing into the hearts of millions

#13 Lenwë

Lenwë

title available

• Project Team
  • 260 posts
  •  Nothing... Really

Posted 09 June 2014 - 03:39 PM

Who here plays BFME 2 on Xbox?

#14 Elric

Elric

Designer

• Hosted
  • 2,857 posts
  • Projects:Middle-Earth Expanded
  •  Coder
  • Donated

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:08 PM

No. One. I first SAW bfme on xbox but then got it for PC many years ago. Very much so prefer it.

#15 Irenë Hawnetyne

Irenë Hawnetyne

-

• Hosted
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:25 PM

I have played it, and it was easier to use than I expected, for a console RTS.

"Everyone's a hero when there's nowhere left to run."

Auxiliary Skarn, 2333rd Cohort

#16 Bofur

Bofur

The Bolicious One

• Hosted
  • 1,766 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Firstborn
  •  The Bolicious T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:53 AM

Same, though it took a little getting used to.

left64_by_obsidianlake-d5ruayp.pngAotF.pngright64_by_obsidianlake-d5ruf44.png

#17 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  • Projects:It'sa secreeet
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Job:T3A Expert
  • Donated

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:15 AM

Bah.

This is the extent of a fuck I give about BFME2 on XB360. It is a gimmick game only released to milk sales from people who are too dumb to understand that an RTS belongs on PC.

https://www.twitch.tv/vileartist - Yes shameless self-promotion

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Old modders never die, they just fade away" ~ Hostile

#18 Lauri

Lauri

Old man Lauri

• Hosted
  • 10,436 posts
  • Projects:The 4th Age
  •  The very worst T3A Team Chamber Member

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:17 AM

They teach you to judge people in the Airforce?

T4A_Logo_-_article.png

The 4th Age version 0.8 has been released: Link

#19 Bashkuga

Bashkuga

Because good guys are too mainstream

• Project Team
  • 2,039 posts
  • Projects:Age of the Ring Betatester and Mapper, Edain Mod Betatester
  •  Out of the frying pan, and into the fire..

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:36 AM

BAM! Shots fired!

Edited by Bashkuga, 13 June 2014 - 11:36 AM.

#20 Kwen

Kwen

Vileartist

• T3A Staff
  • 4,865 posts
  • Projects:It'sa secreeet
  •  T3A's First N00b
  • Job:T3A Expert
  • Donated

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:31 PM

Definitely. There is enough conflict amongst the ranks when it comes to respective jobs, let alone outside opinions. 

You know, like the fuck-wads that sit behind a desk and fill out paperwork all day and bitch about how much work they have to do to support everyone else, while still they get paid the same as the guys (like me) who have to do the long hours in the hot sun working on the jets, we put in twice the work with no more respect. Since the jets fly regardless right? Everyone does their part... right? The guys who scoop food onto my plate at lunch definitely deserve to be paid as much as me.

Edited by Kwen, 13 June 2014 - 04:33 PM.

https://www.twitch.tv/vileartist - Yes shameless self-promotion

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Old modders never die, they just fade away" ~ Hostile

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users