#101 evilbobthebob

evilbobthebob

evilbobthemapper

• Project Team
  • 2,304 posts
  • Projects:Phoenix Rising Maps
  •  Phoenix Rising Mapping Lead

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:50 PM

You have to first create a new file then import the .dat file into it. There should be info about that included with the editor or on the website.

Phoenix Rising, head of mapping. Thanks to everyone who got us to the position below!
Posted Image

#102 johnchm.10

johnchm.10

ALL HUMANS ARE VERMIN IN THE EYES OF MORBO!

• Members
  • 738 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 02:11 AM

i'll start a new thread so we can get all of the following info out of news and into somewhere more suitable

#103 Aizen Teppa

Aizen Teppa
  • Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:55 AM

Aizen, weapon damage is actually a key factor.
However it's mostly just key to remember that regular weapons do roughly double what their light variant does, and heavies do roughly double the regular ones.

Past that it's a simple matter of division/multiplication, and roughly estimating which fleet has more guns to point.

OK I give up. Want to do math when playing do math. I don't care about it one iota. :p

If only I could supply end-battle log and forces involved at the eve of battle (from example mentioned earlier) you would understand that math doesn't always win. There is no substitute for good strategy and super-duper micro management. I had ~30 ships in my fleet - they had ~400 (with 80+  capitals - Bulwark, ~60 MCs, plenty of Republics, ~8 ISDs - excluding Recusants as these have nothing to do with being capital ship). I know it was a fluke that I won somehow (only stayed because of 1 Praetor otherwise I would run like mad), but I 'finished 1st and second is nowhere' like they say in sport. Case closed.  ;)

#104 a.fake.name

a.fake.name

title available

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 01:00 PM

It all comes down to how you do the math.
Do it right, and the AI acts dumb, and you can usually defeat a larger force in detail.

Playing PR when stoned is awesome

#105 P.O._210877

P.O._210877

Traveller in the Balance

• Project Team
  • 796 posts
  • Location:L'Épiphanie, Québec (Fédération canadienne du Royaume du Canada)
  • Projects:Phoenix Rising
  •  Tester/Translator/Resident SW Loremaster (self proclaimed)

Posted 06 July 2014 - 04:52 PM

I'm meddling here but you know guys, this looks like a classical case of quantitative vs qualitative. Personally, I've found out that in Life both can be right and good, sometimes at the same time! It all comes down to how your brain is wired; intelligence, like wisdom, comes in many different forms...

So, from my pov, you're both right! :thumbsupcool:

Edited by P.O._210877, 06 July 2014 - 04:54 PM.

If it's hard then it's worth doing.

- Alcor, Alcor pardonne-moi mais je ne veux pas que tu meurs. Je ne veux
pas que la planète bleue soit mise à feu et à sang par ces monstres. Je
me battrai pour les empêcher de détruire ce qui est devenue ma Terre.
Goldorak m'aidera. Au besoin, j'irai jusqu'au camp de la Lune Noire
puisque c'est là que Véga et ses monstres ont établi leur base. Et je la
détruirai.

Actarus

#106 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

Sith Lord of Campaigns

• Project Team
  • 2,035 posts
  •  Phoenix Rising QA Lead; Manual Editor

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:27 PM

As someone who plays pretty much just Skirmish since I'm not too fond of your big GC campaigns (I'd really like some GC campaigns built in a more traditional RTS style with a clustered set of planets for each side and lots of neutrals to conquer before meeting the opposition), how will these changes affect the balance there?

The campaigns have undergone massive changes.

With the new population system and the new economic base everything went into overhaul.

We then decided about 6 months ago that the campaigns as they were were all too large and clunky, so the campaigns have been resized to have fewer planets.

The existing campaign set of of 7 is now 11 smaller campaigns.

All have been rebuilt from scratch to accommodate the space revamp, the changes to galactic and other development concepts.

Testing is still in progress to fine tune the balance.

#107 a.fake.name

a.fake.name

title available

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 03:24 AM

Ghostrider, with torpedoes not penetrating shields like before, how does that improve balance ?

#108 Aizen Teppa

Aizen Teppa
  • Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:15 AM

To quote Dr Fankenstein: it's alive, it's a live!

Ghostrider or Evil Bob - would we have access to GC of very basic Equal footing type? Start without heroes, 1 planet, no ships (including CSA) or buildings of any kind. Just build everything from scratch. It will be certainly lag free for quite along time (by PR standard anyway he, he). It's one type of campaign which I greatly miss in 1.2.

And any chance for Hero-taskbar return? It would simplify jumping between heroes on the map or finding one you cannot find but you know it is somewhere.

#109 evilbobthebob

evilbobthebob

evilbobthemapper

• Project Team
  • 2,304 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:00 AM

Ghostrider, with torpedoes not penetrating shields like before, how does that improve balance ?

No, they definitely still penetrate shields.

To quote Dr Fankenstein: it's alive, it's a live!

Ghostrider or Evil Bob - would we have access to GC of very basic Equal footing type? Start without heroes, 1 planet, no ships (including CSA) or buildings of any kind. Just build everything from scratch. It will be certainly lag free for quite along time (by PR standard anyway he, he). It's one type of campaign which I greatly miss in 1.2.

And any chance for Hero-taskbar return? It would simplify jumping between heroes on the map or finding one you cannot find but you know it is somewhere.

Up to Ghost on that one, we might put one out since it should be relatively quick to make.

The hero taskbar is making a return, in fact, since we changed some hero settings. Of course, many campaigns have far too many heroes to fit in the bar, but the major starting heroes generally all fit so you can find Vader, Mon Mothma etc easily.

Edited by evilbobthebob, 11 July 2014 - 09:03 AM.

Phoenix Rising, head of mapping. Thanks to everyone who got us to the position below!
Posted Image

#110 Aizen Teppa

Aizen Teppa
  • Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:04 AM

Up to Ghost on that one, we might put one out since it should be relatively quick to make.

The hero taskbar is making a return, in fact, since we changed some hero settings. Of course, many campaigns have far too many heroes to fit in the bar, but the major starting heroes generally all fit so you can find Vader, Mon Mothma etc easily.

My thoughts exactly (about simplicity). Just setup galaxy and 2 planets as staring points. No need to worry about units, buildings and stuff (all heroes must be purchased). 

As for Hero taskbar. Hooray! Actually I was more thinking of secondary characters. Take my current GFFA game I know I recruited IG-88, he is somewhere on the map, but I cannot locate him (it?). Either way I shipped him to hell know where or buried him somehow (accidentally).

Ahh... and BTW: Does Ardus Kaine gets his Reaper or not in 1.3? Major oversight of 1.2 if you ask me.

#111 megabalta

megabalta

title available

• Project Team
  • 302 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:28 AM

Have you tried -heroes on top of unit stack- icon near the minimap? It helps a lot to find lost heroes. He's definitely an it.

Edited by megabalta, 11 July 2014 - 11:28 AM.

#112 a.fake.name

a.fake.name

title available

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 04:27 PM

Bob: They do ?
Damn, I thought it'd been confirmed long since that was a planned revision for 1.3

Aizen: If megabalta's suggestion doesn't find IG-88, you may need to recruit him again.
Apparently you only get certain hireable merc heroes for a limited period of time before you have to re-purchase the unit.
I've never noticed it either way myself, but I've seen it posted about in a few help threads here.

#113 Aizen Teppa

Aizen Teppa
  • Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:01 PM

Hmm there is one more option - Rebel spy killed (to quote Sheila Broflovski: What!? What!? What?!) him/it and I didn't even noticed. :(

He is not available for re-purchase (second hand goods? lol), all heroes are on top. IG Just did poof! (I had such problem with 1.2 once, but it left dummy slot icon in orbit, now nothing).

#114 a.fake.name

a.fake.name

title available

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 01:03 AM

I've had similar bugs occur too where a hero/unit vanishes.
Once I even ended up with TWO Doodana's, and upgraded both to the hero Dreadnought he gets.

#115 P.O._210877

P.O._210877

Traveller in the Balance

• Project Team
  • 796 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 02:41 AM

Damn, I thought it'd been confirmed long since that was a planned revision for 1.3

I'll help you out a little because you're heading in the wrong direction.

You asked if torps penetrate shields... didn't you mean bypass shields? :wink_new:

So what he told you was true... (you know the rest, I believe :rolleyes:)

détruirai.

Actarus

#116 P.O._210877

P.O._210877

Traveller in the Balance

• Project Team
  • 796 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 02:48 AM

I've had similar bugs occur too where a hero/unit vanishes.

Yeah sometimes they just don't trigger the code that brings them back as a buildable unit.

There's surely gonna have a news post regarding heroes in the future, so I'll just tell you to expect changes that will resolve this particular issue. :ph34r:

détruirai.

Actarus

#117 a.fake.name

a.fake.name

title available

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 03:38 AM

I'll help you out a little because you're heading in the wrong direction.

You asked if torps penetrate shields... didn't you mean bypass shields? :wink_new:

So what he told you was true... (you know the rest, I believe :rolleyes:)

Ah ok, a % of damage goes to the hull thru shields.
Considering torpedo salvos are supposed to be capable of breaching a shield anyway, I'm fine with this.
Anything that lets snubcraft kill capitols w/o leaving their shields nearly full.

#118 evilbobthebob

evilbobthebob

evilbobthemapper

• Project Team
  • 2,304 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:52 AM

No, you misunderstood PO. Torpedoes still bypass shields the same way they always have. However, due to HP/armour changes and weapon damage output changes, they are (currently) much less powerful than they used to be (although they have "armour penetration" so that they essentially ignore a certain amount of armour). It is very, very unlikely that you will bomb an ISD into dust with just a bunch of Y-Wings. This is still a WIP though, since torpedoes could stand to be a bit more powerful in my (and some other testers) opinion.

Posted Image

#119 a.fake.name

a.fake.name

title available

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:07 PM

This is still a WIP though, since torpedoes could stand to be a bit more powerful in my (and some other testers) opinion.

Install particle shielding on stuff, torpedo's will help lower a ships shields for killing, problem solved.

I mean cmon, I think we all learned an excellent lesson about only having ray shielding from the first Death Star.

#120 skie9173

skie9173

Rebel (not so) High Command

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:01 AM

Thought particle shielding was semi-figured into general hull strength, or maybe i'm confused or several versions back idk

There is no emotion, there is peace. There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity. There is no death, there is the Force.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users